***Official 10th Anniversary C2C thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbf you have to be a certified lunatic to do Hartside off road. I glanced at it once, laughed, then did the road as usual.

I've done it like, @Baloo did it at the same time, it was difficult at the bottom, then you had to push cos the path vanished into a marshy stream, then you could just about pedal up the last bit.

Still think it was easier than the tedious grind up the main path.

my MTB back then had the knobbliest tyres in the world, still took me 15 mins to do it

:neutral:

Nearly cleaned it in one but some clown in front stopped / slowed and totally knacked my rythm and that was it. I think herbal had a vid of me getting to the top.

Isn't it tarmacced over now though? Did the long way last time and although easier might go back to the shortcut again this year.

Last edited:
I'm sure my hybrid has similar tyres and it was fine. It does have about 50mm travel on the front fork which helps but you ought to be fine on those wheels for all of the off road bits. I certainly didn't hold back.
Cheers,

It has no suspension on the forks like

Neither does a CX which is basically just a slightly beefed up road bike with nobbly tyres. Great fun :D
So what tyres im a getting for this coast to coast?

Useless with bikes like

I've done it like, @Baloo did it at the same time, it was difficult at the bottom, then you had to push cos the path vanished into a marshy stream, then you could just about pedal up the last bit.

Nearly cleaned it in one but some clown in front stopped / slowed and totally knacked my rythm and that was it. I think herbal had a vid of me getting to the top.

Isn't it tarmacced over now though? Did the long way last time and although easier might go back to the shortcut again this year.
Yeah it's tarmacced. I done it last year and it hurt like hell but I'll do it again this year regardless because it's fun.

Useless with bikes like
I'm doing it on my roadie. Super skinny tyres. Last year on the MTB was mint but hard work. I'll take the hit with missing out on the good off road sections. Rookhope was mint and I enjoyed the climb, it was probably my best effort of the whole trip.

Last edited:
Yeah it's tarmacced. I done it last year and it hurt like hell but I'll do it again this year regardless because it's fun.

I'm doing it on my roadie. Super skinny tyres. Last year on the MTB was mint but hard work. I'll take the hit with missing out on the good off road sections. Rookhope was mint and I enjoyed the climb, it was probably my best effort of the whole trip.
So I'm right in saying some people go off road,some on road in this trip ?

Yes.

I'd say about two thirds are off roaders and a third stick to the tarmac.

It was my first SMB C2C last year and was good crack, you'll enjoy yourself mate.
Thanks mate,really looking forward to it if a little nervous.

You'll be fine mate its not a race. The more miles you put in beforehand the more you'll enjoy it, and the quicker you'll get to the pub for a beer :D
It's giving me something to work to .Wanted to get as fit as possible this year and this is an incentive to get out regular on the bike.

Reactions: mux

Just use your f***ing granny wheel you flid. There's no need to stop on a climb when you're already only doing 0.01mph.

You'll be fine mate its not a race. The more miles you put in beforehand the more you'll enjoy it, and the quicker you'll get to the pub for a beer :D

First year we did it was like a cross between Mario Kart Wii and the Wacky Races. People were dropping bananas, throwing turtle shells and squirting oil in each others eyes for competitive advantage; loading bags up with rocks at the start, etc. It was chos.

Useless with bikes like
Get yourself down to Darke Cycles and ask for Peter, he'll sort you out. Say Big Baloo from the internet sent you for mates rates.

First year we did it was like a cross between Mario Kart Wii and the Wacky Races. People were dropping bananas, throwing turtle shells and squirting oil in each others eyes for competitive advantage; loading bags up with rocks at the start, etc. It was chos.
Sleep deprivation techniques as well:
"Hey, parkmav, are you asleep?"
"Yes"
"Ok"

Last edited:
Get yourself down to Darke Cycles and ask for Peter, he'll sort you out. Say Big Baloo from the internet sent you for mates rates.

"Yes"
"Ok"
I know Gas Meter,might pop in and see him Saturday.

Aye, it was tarmacced, but half of it had subsided into craters.

Thanks mate,really looking forward to it if a little nervous.
I really struggled on the hills last year cos
a) it was hot as fook
b) I was unfit as fook
And c) I did the first 80 miles with a broken hub and my brake was binding.
Got it fixed in Nenthead and then fairly pissed up the next hill.
Unfortunately the next day it might as well have been broken again, due to the fact I was still completely pissed from the lock in the night before.

"Yes"
"Ok"
Last year me and patch bowled in from the pub and announced our arrival by helpfully banging a gong outside of Mav's room.

So I'm right in saying some people go off road,some on road in this trip ?
There are only a few miles where you have to split up. It's still mostly the same route.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back