Office/work-based things that haven’t changed

If I got wind of someone finding out my birthday at work it might prompt me to actually take my birthday off work.

I think I'd jump out of the window if I was given a card signed by everyone.

And i speak as someone who does actually like a number of people i work with.

I hate people knowing my birthday at work. So, because I didn't want anyone to know, I thought i'd put a false birth date on LinkedIn so that nobody would ever find out. I never thought they would just think the false date was my actual birthday so now I just get a load of hassle on a day that isn't even my birthday and it totally comes out of the blue as I'm never thinking about it when the day comes. I get called all sorts for not upholding the pathetic tradition of bringing in cakes and wasting a tenner on crap food on birthdays. I'm going to move it to Feb 29th now after this so I only get it once every 4 years in future.

I hate people knowing my birthday at work. So, because I didn't want anyone to know, I thought i'd put a false birth date on LinkedIn so that nobody would ever find out. I never thought they would just think the false date was my actual birthday so now I just get a load of hassle on a day that isn't even my birthday and it totally comes out of the blue as I'm never thinking about it when the day comes. I get called all sorts for not upholding the pathetic tradition of bringing in cakes and wasting a tenner on crap food on birthdays. I'm going to move it to Feb 29th now after this so I only get it once every 4 years in future.
Just hide it on LinkedIn and don't put it on any other social media. I made a point of doing this not actually thinking anyone in my team would go to those lengths to check, even though I'd told them I don't bother celebrating it and certainly not at work, but apparently there were colleagues checking it to see if they could find out.

I don't understand the obsession with workplace birthdays at all to be honest.

Smart thinking there. :lol: :lol: Does it get tiring in the post room?

Somehow people find out it's my birthday. I don't tell them. It must be shared from my records. Then I'm expected to be jolly and all 'birthday-like'. I'm bemused by this because in my family we NEVER did birthdays. I get a card from my Mam and vice versa but none of the rest of the family bother. I wouldn't know my brothers and sisters birthdays without looking it up and they wouldn't know mine. THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM. I'm not unhappy or miserable. It just doesn't entre my radar. If my missus and the inlaws didn't say anything I'd probably forget.

I usually 'pretend' to keep the peace in the office and so people don't get a wrong impression. I pretend that I'm grateful for the attention and thankful for the card/s. And it is nice that they think of me. The concept of it being on a particular day is alien to me though. Today is my birthday. The mask slipped for a second and my facial expression probably communicated that I'd forgotten momentarily that it was my birthday. I think I went down in the that persons estimation. They can't understand why I haven't taken the day off.
That's a sneaky way to tell this board that it's your birthday, pal. Fine. I'll bite. Happy Birthday and all that jazz.

Smart thinking there. :lol: :lol: Does it get tiring in the post room?

I know, I wasn't thinking, what a dick. :lol:
Just hide it on LinkedIn and don't put it on any other social media. I made a point of doing this not actually thinking anyone in my team would go to those lengths to check, even though I'd told them I don't bother celebrating it and certainly not at work, but apparently there were colleagues checking it to see if they could find out.

I don't understand the obsession with workplace birthdays at all to be honest.

I've hid it. Good advice.

Managers who forget to tell you you’ll be needed to work the weekend before the new system goes live and a month beforehand the Finance Director tells the whole department that if they will be expected to work they should have already been told. Because the system goes live on a Thursday, the employee assumes that because he’s never been told that all of the checks he needs to do just be taking place on the Monday/Tuesday. He then finds out less than a week beforehand that he is expected to work and should have known that he’s needed and is guilt tripped into cancelling his plans for his birthday weekend.

The office nutter

I've hid it. Good advice.

Surely your employer knows your DOB?

Last week it was the birthday of the girl who sits behind me. Everyone else who sits on my bank of desks was working from home so I was on my tod.

The friends of the lass whose birthday it was, was brought a cake covered in candles by her mates. I got roped into singing happy birthday with four lasses to a lass I had never even been introduced to before and my face was f***ing purple. I nearly started crying it was that bad.
Edit: The friends of the lass whose birthday it was brought her a cake over covered in candles*

Fuck me I think I'm still pissed.

Last edited:
Surely your employer knows your DOB?

Last week it was the birthday of the girl who sits behind me. Everyone else who sits on my bank of desks was working from home so I was on my tod.

The friends of the lass whose birthday it was, was brought a cake covered in candles by her mates. I got roped into singing happy birthday with four lasses to a lass I had never even been introduced to before and my face was f***ing purple. I nearly started crying it was that bad.
Edit: The friends of the lass whose birthday it was brought her a cake over covered in candles*

Fuck me I think I'm still pissed.

Yeah, employer does. But they don't give a shit. Its the morons in the office who want to make a big fuss, ultimately just the fat fuc*s get to stuff their faces in cheap cup cakes, brownies and other packs of cakes from Asda.

Sounds grim. I would have hated that.

Office chat all morning has been about going for pints at lunchtime, said I was all for it.

Slowly but surely people are saying they have to work over lunch (they don't), they have to get a hair cut (one of them certainly needs one), they have to go shopping, and some have just disappeared to go to Tesco for their sad meal deal.

I'll be rounding up the survivors and going with them or going on my own regardless.

Office chat all morning has been about going for pints at lunchtime, said I was all for it.

Slowly but surely people are saying they have to work over lunch (they don't), they have to get a hair cut (one of them certainly needs one), they have to go shopping, and some have just disappeared to go to Tesco for their sad meal deal.

I'll be rounding up the survivors and going with them or going on my own regardless.

I hope you have to go on your own for calling it 'lunchtime'.

I hope you have to go on your own for calling it 'lunchtime'.

Wouldn't mind, I usually do. These dafties asked me 'do you fancy a pint at lunchtime?' and haven't shut up about it.
Looked forward to having a pint in the sun all day, after hours of deliberation I ended up in a Wetherspoons with no outside seating with two people from the office who ordered food and decided they didn’t fancy a drink after all.

Last edited:
2019, where you can use any toilet you identify as, but folk are still too cliquey and horrible to bother saying good morning to you.

Back