October Discussion - Leading Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here's me thinking/hoping for a Harvest/Autumn theme, some great colours out there at the moment !

Not only on the trees.
Or in the old derelict baths

picture.php

Indeed. We have a load of dead trees though, thanks to the worst drought in 60 years. They reckon the city will lose 66 million trees this year.

:eek:

a/ The city must have a lot of trees

b/ That is pretty terrible

The city has around 660 million trees. Normally they cope but we're 30 inches of rain behind where we should be this year and they're just falling all around us.
Is a million the same in the US as it is in England? I can't imagine a city having that many trees?

I don't know where you live (a rain forest?) so I've used London.
1 acre holds 500 trees
london is 607 sq.miles
640 acres in a square mile
London = 388480 acres
times 500 trees
= ~ 195million trees (no buildings)

I reckon "TX" (in his location) is Texas, 2nd biggest state in the USA,

Texas has an area of 268,820 square miles (696,200 km2), and a growing population of 25.1 million residents.

That's about 3 times bigger than the UK, if I've read wiki correctly !!

Last edited:
entry in.

Looks effing terrible in small size and with jpeg artefacts on here like :oops:

Is a million the same in the US as it is in England? I can't imagine a city having that many trees?

I don't know where you live (a rain forest?) so I've used London.
1 acre holds 500 trees
london is 607 sq.miles
640 acres in a square mile
London = 388480 acres
times 500 trees
= ~ 195million trees (no buildings)

I'm referring to the Houston metropolitan area which is huge (well over 5 million people) and very green, or brown, right now.

If you look at Google earth it'll give you an impression of just how green it is (was)

You may well laugh! :) It was half a joke but the yanks do use different numbering systems from Europe (though I think we are now changing). I think it was because they didn't use latin so much iirc.

The American system is:
10^06 = million
10^09 = billion
10^12 = trillion

The European system (formerly used in Britain, still used in Germany)
is:
10^06 = million
10^09 = thousand million
10^12 = billion
10^15 = thousand billion
10^18 = trillion
10^21 = thousand trillion

I'm referring to the Houston metropolitan area which is huge (well over 5 million people) and very green, or brown, right now.

If you look at Google earth it'll give you an impression of just how green it is (was)
Well its sad anyway if trees are dieing.

Last edited:
Some cracking shots in already this month like... AB hoy a sticky on the SMB - definitely think this is one that more can get involved in this month.

I need to get my thinking cap on! :lol:

Some cracking shots in already this month like... AB hoy a sticky on the SMB - definitely think this is one that more can get involved in this month.

I need to get my thinking cap on! :lol:

aye - some really nice ones already. One thing though.. is it snowing in Stanhope? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back