Obesity and is this normal?

When Michelle McManus won Pop Idol in 2003, her weight was more talked about than her voice, yet a third of all contestants on "The Voice" this year have been obese and nobody turns a hair, so I guess it is the new normal.

I didn't know people still watched The Voice

I’m not keen on any of the sauces but can’t see the problem with the chips and kebab meat. It’s not for 1 person, will feed about 6 that.

Myths. "I'm overweight because I can't afford decent food"
Shopping at Aldi's I can put together a roast chicken dinner for two adults and two kids for £6.70p
This "can't afford decent food" is complete BS. I cook fresh every meal almost and it is way cheaper.
When I used to eat meat it was slightly more expensive but still under £1.50 per person per meal most of the time.
I can make risotto/curry/pasta/chilli/roasts no bother for £1-£1.50 per person. Laziness and maybe ignorance/conditioning is the issue for a lot of people, and it was for me for a long time too TBF.

Does my head in when people say they cant afford to eat healthy... f***ing miles cheaper!

This "can't afford decent food" is complete BS. I cook fresh every meal almost and it is way cheaper.
When I used to eat meat it was slightly more expensive but still under £1.50 per person per meal most of the time.
I can make risotto/curry/pasta/chilli/roasts no bother for £1-£1.50 per person. Laziness and maybe ignorance/conditioning is the issue for a lot of people, and it was for me for a long time too TBF.

Does my head in when people say they cant afford to eat healthy... f***ing miles cheaper!

Honesty about our past gives us the passion to change the future...I like your style 👍
The amount of roly-poly's around these days must impact badly on the NHS

£1 million an hour is the exact figure.

Sometimes it's like the lean looking alcoholic trying to tell the 4 stone overweight friend they need to change to healthy eating.

The reality is, we've been given too much choice and coaxed into choosing snacks on the run rather than the art of making a semi nutritious family meal.

Obesity is an epidemic, especially amongst lasses.
It always strikes me when you see old photo’s or videos of Sunderland from the sixties and before the relative absence of overweight people.

Sometimes it's like the lean looking alcoholic trying to tell the 4 stone overweight friend they need to change to healthy eating.

The reality is, we've been given too much choice and coaxed into choosing snacks on the run rather than the art of making a semi nutritious family meal.

Greed (to have) is an express train out of control. It's destination is hell, yet we continue to heap coal into the boiler. Can you believe that we have sunk low enough to make a competition out of Covid deaths and vaccinations. Fast living, fast food, leaping from one love / fad to another as they fall foul of social acceptence.

I wonder if the NHS has weighted up the costs of hiring tuba players to walk behind tubbies playing the fat person song. Maybe that shame would save them money in the long run

For fat sctatters
Obesity is an epidemic, especially amongst lasses.
It always strikes me when you see old photo’s or videos of Sunderland from the sixties and before the relative absence of overweight people.

There's more overweight men than women still iirc. Although there are more and more young women who are bloaters. I blame the desperate blokes who buck them.

Last edited:
For fat sctatters

There's more overweight men than women still iirc. Although there are more and more young women who are bloaters. I blame the desperate blokes who buck them.

You got something there DM...can remember not getting much action when I was overweight, but shagged my way through France two years later after becoming a keep fit freak.

NB: Ok, It was only 3 lasses, but I like to use artistic license :D

That’s a different argument though. My point was more around the mortality rate which is one of the highest in the western world. Almost 3%. That’s with us having done more testing, and therefore catching more cases, than other countries.

It's really not a different argument. You questioned whether our national obesity rate contributed to the high mortality rate. Other countries have just as high, and if not higher rates of obesity - yet they don't seem to have hit our mortality rates. Which leaves the question why?

Back