Obesity and Covid Deaths - Report

• Thread starter Deleted member 32773
  • Start date
The point I'm making is although everyone should take personal responsibility for their actions and health, the government has a responsibility to educate and encourage people. One of the biggest problems we had is the obsession with fat in the diet, making low fat products that are more unhealthy than anything we've seen.
The help but would be from the authorities. Still even if there were no help at all there is still no excuse. There he’s never been more knowledge available at the touch of a button. No excuses imho.

I'm 49 now and have have been overweight all my adult life, at my biggest about a year and a half ago I was a size 22/24. I am a full time carer to my disabled daughter and spent most of my time at home, I ate whatever I wanted and the majority of it was unhealthy stuff. I also ate too much of it. I drank alcohol and snacked every night on crisps and stuff that was bad for me. I went on so many diets that lasted a couple of weeks then I'd just give up. I never ate any fruit or vegetables.
Around 18 months ago I decided that I eventually had to do something about my weight, my daughter needs me to do everything for her and my son has autism. My need to be around for them finally got me to see sense. I started eating healthy foods, gave up alcohol and going for long walks every day while they kids were at college / school. I managed to get down to a size 16 just as lockdown hit but have barely been able to leave the house since. I'd like to get to a size 14 but at least I have managed to keep the weight off that I lost, I'll be starting my walks again as soon as the schools re -open and I can't wait.

Thats good going. Hopefully you can crack on again once lockdown has eased. It’s all about routine/habit.

Good luck 👍

Type 1 or type 2, and are they elderly?

I've not known anyone who was type 2, who weren't either overweight or over 80

The big difference in the 70's was that we were all working down the pit or in shipyards doing serious hard physical graft so calories were burnt off.
Now those jobs are replaced by call centres & people are more sedentary but havent reduced their calorie intake.
Yes, Cornish pasties were designed for Cornish tin miners. The crusts were thick so the miners could hold them and threw away when finished.

I'm 49 now and have have been overweight all my adult life, at my biggest about a year and a half ago I was a size 22/24. I am a full time carer to my disabled daughter and spent most of my time at home, I ate whatever I wanted and the majority of it was unhealthy stuff. I also ate too much of it. I drank alcohol and snacked every night on crisps and stuff that was bad for me. I went on so many diets that lasted a couple of weeks then I'd just give up. I never ate any fruit or vegetables.
Around 18 months ago I decided that I eventually had to do something about my weight, my daughter needs me to do everything for her and my son has autism. My need to be around for them finally got me to see sense. I started eating healthy foods, gave up alcohol and going for long walks every day while they kids were at college / school. I managed to get down to a size 16 just as lockdown hit but have barely been able to leave the house since. I'd like to get to a size 14 but at least I have managed to keep the weight off that I lost, I'll be starting my walks again as soon as the schools re -open and I can't wait.
Well done for recognising and tackling the problem. Walking is a good and easy exercise. One mile walked, one hundred calories burnt (more or less). A six mile walk on an afternoon will burn off your tea.

Good luck in the future.

Well done for recognising and tackling the problem. Walking is a good and easy exercise. One mile walked, one hundred calories burnt (more or less). A six mile walk on an afternoon will burn off your tea.

Good luck in the future.
Thank you, I don't have the confidence to go to a gym so walking seemed like the best option. I can't wait to get started again.

I can't answer honestly to which type but I'm being honest in what I say.
I know a lot of people who have diabetes and none of them were near 80. Half were overweight and the other half I'd regard as normal to actually skinny.
I know a few that inject and plenty that take metformin and such (tablets).

I'd say there is not discernible difference in terms of whether to put it down to weight.
To be fair, I think it's what you eat, not how much you eat.
It is. I'm amazed how ignorant folk are.
I'm type 2 but classed as obese so fair enough but I know many who are not obese.

Thank you, I don't have the confidence to go to a gym so walking seemed like the best option. I can't wait to get started again.
That's a shame, as a regular gym goer i find that 99% of people at the gym are so helpful and I think you will find this when you get the confidence to go there.
There is no judgement, people just want to help. There is a large couple that started doing squats and deadlifts at the gym recently. Its f***ing inspiring that they are getting their act together and making a change in their life.
My experience is that regular gym people are the friendlist and most helpful people you will meet.
Its also the best way to change your body shape and boost metabolism.
When walking you're burning calories in the moment.
Do some resistance training and you're putting on muscle, burning calories at the time, and for time after, and increasing the amount of calories your body needs, so speeding up your metabolism

I tend to think using gym equipment is a bit boring & monotonous anyway.

Walking is a great way to exercise & get some fresh air. Think it's also good for mental health having a nice stroll down roker/seaburn to clear your mind. And it's free.

It is. I'm amazed how ignorant folk are.
I'm type 2 but classed as obese so fair enough but I know many who are not obese.
Type 2 is a reversible condition and the vast majority of of type 2 cases in Western world are down to lack of exercise and diet.

If you restrict your calorie intake to 800 a day for 8 weeks you will benefit massively.

Google professor Taylor Newcastle University.

If you are unaware of the study it is literally life saving. If you are aware of the study and don't follow it's advice then I have little sympathy.

Type 2 is a reversible condition and the vast majority of of type 2 cases in Western world are down to lack of exercise and diet.

If you restrict your calorie intake to 800 a day for 8 weeks you will benefit massively.

Google professor Taylor Newcastle University.

If you are unaware of the study it is literally life saving. If you are aware of the study and don't follow it's advice then I have little sympathy.
I know the issues around type 2. I've spent time with Desmond's focus group and its a lifestyle disease for sure but it's not limited to obese folk.
To be honest I need to get my act together and I will look in to what you posted so thanks.

I know the issues around type 2. I've spent time with Desmond's focus group and its a lifestyle disease for sure but it's not limited to obese folk.
To be honest I need to get my act together and I will look in to what you posted so thanks.
Of course there are people who get type 2 who aren’t fat but the prevalence of the disease is because of excess food, poor food and limited exercise of a lot of the populace.
The research indicates that an 8 week fast reverses the diabetes for a lot of people. It is a no brainer for me. Obviously consult your doctor 😀 don’t want a smb 💀 on my conscience

You can lead a horse to water, but......

Theres plenty of info out there, loads of TV programmes on eating healthy on a budget, and it wasnt that long ago Jamie Oliver raised loads of awareness with his school meals campaign. I reckon you could put fruit on for free & people would still turn it down.

For breakfast, I'll have a couple of poached eggs on a slice of brown bread. Owa lass will have a packet of crisps. They both cost about the same. Her parents 'cant' cook & eat shite. I was fed properly. Attitudes & outlooks in life are forged at an early age from up bringing
You're right but they have to try. That's why I said a carrot and stick approach would be appropriate. Hike up the sugar tax and subsidise very healthy food.

More should see the light... I've been banging on about this long before Covid. The longevity of those who were born during the war years who endured rashons, food vouchers and hard graft will do a nose dive, whereby they won't even make it to get their pension if they're even fit enough to work to do a day's work.

No need, if you cook from scratch then healthy food is cheaper particularly if you cut down on expensive meat, fish and diary.
I don't think you're getting what I've been saying. Unhealthy food is also very cheap so there's no real incentive. People also won't choose to cook from scratch if they have an easier option.

We have so much processed food because people are lazy. There are times however where you may only have 5 minutes and have to bang something in the microwave. This should be the exception rather than the rule.

Also we should be encouraging people to eat more fish and dairy can be extremely efficient in providing nutrition, especially to children.

I don't think you're getting what I've been saying. Unhealthy food is also very cheap so there's no real incentive. People also won't choose to cook from scratch if they have an easier option.

We have so much processed food because people are lazy. There are times however where you may only have 5 minutes and have to bang something in the microwave. This should be the exception rather than the rule.

Also we should be encouraging people to eat more fish and dairy can be extremely efficient in providing nutrition, especially to children.I see now but the general opinion in the thread was that healthy food is more expensive
I see your point now but the general opinion on the thread was that healthy food is more expensive, which it isn't, and yours happened to be the last post.

Back