Obesity and Covid Deaths - Report

• Thread starter Deleted member 32773
  • Start date

Healthy food isnt expensive. It doesn't need subsidising. I'd argue it's often portion sizes that a problem anarl.

I'd have to agree on this. I've got a fairly ok understanding of low calorie/high calorie foods and what is and isn't good for you.

My weight was starting to creep up so I've been on a diet since the New Year. I've followed My Fitness Pal and tbh it's the portion size that's been a revelation. My cereal bowl is now mostly empty and when I think back to what I was eating it was definitely the amount.

As a side point, I have a dinner service from the 70's everything is much smaller and I honestly think the larger plates and bowls etc are also part of this problem.

Healthy food isnt expensive. It doesn't need subsidising. I'd argue it's often portion sizes that a problem anarl.
I disagree. Fruit is often expensive and no one gets fat overeating on fruit, vegetables, pulses, nuts and wholegrain. Its not that simple.
I'd have to agree on this. I've got a fairly ok understanding of low calorie/high calorie foods and what is and isn't good for you.

My weight was starting to creep up so I've been on a diet since the New Year. I've followed My Fitness Pal and tbh it's the portion size that's been a revelation. My cereal bowl is now mostly empty and when I think back to what I was eating it was definitely the amount.

As a side point, I have a dinner service from the 70's everything is much smaller and I honestly think the larger plates and bowls etc are also part of this problem.
Does it not depend what the plate is filled with?

Last edited:
Nutritious food is cheap. People have lost the ability to cook it and prefer fat,salt, sugar laden convenience.
Not cheap enough to sway people away from the shit they are eating apparently.

Of course its easy to eat for next to nothing cheaply. I've just had poached eggs and beans on wholemeal toast. My meal planned for tonight is chickpea and chorizo stew made with tomatoes, onion, garlic, spinach, smoked paprika and herbs, with a side dish of patata Bravas. Lovely meal and cheap for what it is.

The trouble is some people don't have the time, facilities, knowledge or confidence to knock something easy and tasty up.

Not cheap enough to sway people away from the shit they are eating apparently.

Of course its easy to eat for next to nothing cheaply. I've just had poached eggs and beans on wholemeal toast. My meal planned for tonight is chickpea and chorizo stew made with tomatoes, onion, garlic, spinach, smoked paprika and herbs, with a side dish of patata Bravas. Lovely meal and cheap for what it is.

The trouble is some people don't have the time, facilities, knowledge or confidence to knock something easy and tasty up.
So you agree with me 100%,

More or less aye :lol:

Except some people have genuine problems around doing it like massive sugar cravings.
Life is full of challenges. It is time as a society we made people face up to them. Give plenty of help but also call it out for what it is rather than excusing it.
I have no problem with someone being a fat lazy mess but don’t expect me to believe the excuses for you being a fat lazy mess. Not you obvs😀

Life is full of challenges. It is time as a society we made people face up to them. Give plenty of help but also call it out for what it is rather than excusing it.
I have no problem with someone being a fat lazy mess but don’t expect me to believe the excuses for you being a fat lazy mess. Not you obvs😀
The point I'm making is although everyone should take personal responsibility for their actions and health, the government has a responsibility to educate and encourage people. One of the biggest problems we had is the obsession with fat in the diet, making low fat products that are more unhealthy than anything we've seen.

I know many people that are normal weight, some skinnier and some slightly overweight, some, fat or how we're told.... obese.... who have diabetes. It's not a fat persons disease.
If you are obese you are seven times more likely to have type 2 diabetes than someone of normal weight.

Is everyone with type 2 diabetes fat? No. At population level, is it a fat person's disease? Overwhelmingly yes.

The point I'm making is although everyone should take personal responsibility for their actions and health, the government has a responsibility to educate and encourage people. One of the biggest problems we had is the obsession with fat in the diet, making low fat products that are more unhealthy than anything we've seen.

You can lead a horse to water, but......

Theres plenty of info out there, loads of TV programmes on eating healthy on a budget, and it wasnt that long ago Jamie Oliver raised loads of awareness with his school meals campaign. I reckon you could put fruit on for free & people would still turn it down.

For breakfast, I'll have a couple of poached eggs on a slice of brown bread. Owa lass will have a packet of crisps. They both cost about the same. Her parents 'cant' cook & eat shite. I was fed properly. Attitudes & outlooks in life are forged at an early age from up bringing

If you are obese you are seven times more likely to have type 2 diabetes than someone of normal weight.

Is everyone with type 2 diabetes fat? No. At population level, is it a fat person's disease? Overwhelmingly yes.
I disagree.
I kid you not. I see just as many people who appear normal in weight who are diabetic as fat people.
Around my area, granted but I'd say that was evidence enough to say the fat tag for diabetes is way over inflated.
That's my opinion and yours obviously differs.

The fat mess of a PM on Twitter has said as a nation we have to get fitter, as gyms are shut and the leisure sector has been hit by 11 years of Tory austerity. A year and a day after he bragged about shaking hands with Covid hospital patients. Clown.
Gyms weren't about pre 70's and no fat fuckers then.
Its really education and laziness.
The introduction of processed foods started the obesity crisis.
Fat twats buying chips and pizzas and ready meals and crisps.
Then people moaning how they can't afford to feed themselves.
Food is cheap as fuck.
I can get 500g of pasta for about 30p.
Tins of tomatoes for 10p
Veg is cheap as fuck , 7p a carrot. Frozen peas and sweetcorn for less than a quid for a months worth.

I disagree.
I kid you not. I see just as many people who appear normal in weight who are diabetic as fat people.
Around my area, granted but I'd say that was evidence enough to say the fat tag for diabetes is way over inflated.

Type 1 or type 2, and are they elderly?

I've not known anyone who was type 2, who weren't either overweight or over 80
Gyms weren't about pre 70's and no fat fuckers then.
Its really education and laziness.

The big difference in the 70's was that we were all working down the pit or in shipyards doing serious hard physical graft so calories were burnt off.
Now those jobs are replaced by call centres & people are more sedentary but havent reduced their calorie intake.

Last edited:

I can't answer honestly to which type but I'm being honest in what I say.
I know a lot of people who have diabetes and none of them were near 80. Half were overweight and the other half I'd regard as normal to actually skinny.
I know a few that inject and plenty that take metformin and such (tablets).

I'd say there is not discernible difference in terms of whether to put it down to weight.
To be fair, I think it's what you eat, not how much you eat.

I'm 49 now and have have been overweight all my adult life, at my biggest about a year and a half ago I was a size 22/24. I am a full time carer to my disabled daughter and spent most of my time at home, I ate whatever I wanted and the majority of it was unhealthy stuff. I also ate too much of it. I drank alcohol and snacked every night on crisps and stuff that was bad for me. I went on so many diets that lasted a couple of weeks then I'd just give up. I never ate any fruit or vegetables.
Around 18 months ago I decided that I eventually had to do something about my weight, my daughter needs me to do everything for her and my son has autism. My need to be around for them finally got me to see sense. I started eating healthy foods, gave up alcohol and going for long walks every day while they kids were at college / school. I managed to get down to a size 16 just as lockdown hit but have barely been able to leave the house since. I'd like to get to a size 14 but at least I have managed to keep the weight off that I lost, I'll be starting my walks again as soon as the schools re -open and I can't wait.

Last edited:
I disagree.

If you could just learn two things that would markedly improve your understanding of the world, it would be the difference between opinion and facts, and the difference between anecdote and data.

Otherwise, tbh, it's not worth having a discussion.

Currently, all the dogs I can see in my street are black...therefore all dogs are black. That's the level of your argument.

If you could just learn two things that would markedly improve your understanding of the world, it would be the difference between opinion and facts, and the difference between anecdote and data.

Otherwise, tbh, it's not worth having a discussion.

Currently, all the dogs I can see in my street are black...therefore all dogs are black. That's the level of your argument.
Actually that's not my argument.
My argument is the opposite.
My argument is, all the dogs in my area are a variation of colours and all seem to be about a similar amount of dogs of those colours.
Naturally you have your mind set on what you believe is something different. I say, fine.

I tend to not just follow statistics fed to me by media and governments and such. Too much misinfo has been handed out like smarties, over time.

Sometimes it's just better too look around me and gauge reality from the story told.

The big difference in the 70's was that we were all working down the pit or in shipyards doing serious hard physical graft so calories were burnt off.
Now those jobs are replaced by call centres & people are more sedentary but havent reduced their calorie intake.
That's another good reason
All sedentary. And reduced calorie intake?
Like I said , it's increased. Processed foods making people hungrier.
More sedentary + More calories = fat *****

Back