November Voting thread - Best Shot of the month

Picture of the month for November

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

and delete that post and this post as it will get too confusing, haha...just leave them all.

I voted for bernardbresslaw.

No particular reason other than i liked it. To be honest there isn't too many a photos i dislike this month.

in my defense, it was a sunrise and there was some orange in the clouds from the bit sun there was, i just made it stand out a bit more. :)

Smoker for me - an amazing technical feat, and had the benefit of resembling a poppy which was very appropriate for the time it was posted.

some really brilliant pictures this month, well done everyone, way out of my ablilites!

my vote goes to thankheavenforshed7. absolutely lovely picture that makes me want to ask questions about where, who, when etc. as there was no theme i chose the picture that made me most interested. love not spavin's too, and just to put my 2 penneth in, i prefer clyde's picture when edited and i think peachy should have left her pictures in as i liked the uniqueness of it.

Thanks for the kind words, people. Seeing as I'm stranded in an airport hotel in Paris I might as well do a proper detailed C&C this month. Here goes:

matt1988 - Looks nice, but the horizon is tad (!) wonky and I'm not really sure what the subject of the image is. I like the sunburst though.

smoker - It looks impressive and I'm sure that a lot of love and expertise goes in to an image like this...it's just not the kind of thing that flerts my bert! Maybe in a more tightly themed month I might have given it a vote.

Cook - Big Niall's grinning chops definitely make me very happy but I think there are better pictures this month!

neiluk1985 - Very nice and demonstrates a good photographer's eye. The only thing that has stopped me from hoying a vote your way is that there are a couple of other images that hold my attention for slightly longer, if that makes sense?!

Kubicki85 - The puddle reflection is an interesting and gritty take on the classic bridge shot. Contrast seems way heavy though.

MaDMaCKeM - The flash seems a bit full-on but I like the idea.

not spavin - Sorry if this sounds a bit like I'm bumming you but I really like this picture. I think that the ultimate display of photographic skill is when you can produce something so outstanding out of the ordinary. It's dead easy to take good shots of amazing scenery, but to take something so mundane and produce such a striking image shows real talent. Vote

peachbum - I really like the idea that underpins this piece. I'm probably most interested in photography which shows the sides of places that are often overlooked. I'd much rather see a picture of a gritty street in Leytonstone than a picture of Tower Bridge, for example. I also really like the composition of the remembrance day shot. Visually, I'm not sure how well the shots hang together, but I certainly like the theory behind it.

clyde - Again, sorry if the praise is a little over the top, but this is a cracking shot. I'm a big fan of your coastal shots on flickr and I can't wait to get back in the UK (if I can ever get out of Paris!) to try out some similar stuff. I can really feel the biting North Sea air just looking at this shot.

Hully2000 - I like the shot a lot - I've actually taken a couple of similar shots over the last month. Just not quite best of the month.

Janiep - Nicely composed and well executed. Again, it's just not quite a shot of the month.

Amnorrageordie - Same comments as the last two, really. Is that Edinburgh?

Mine - I don't love this shot, but my girlfriend made me submit it. I'm suffering from a massive lack of inspiration after moving to a new city (a city which was described by a fellow SMBer as 'the worst city in North America(© Durham FC)). It's not run-down or anything (I'd prefer it if it was - there'd be interesting things to photograph), it's just very boring, both visually and socially.

One each for Not Spavin, Clyde & Janie P.
Im reluctant to vote for Spav because I dont believe the pictures should be "titled" but as his is easily one of the top three Ill cast aside my principles this time.

Thanks for the kind words, people. Seeing as ...(SNIP)... visually and socially.

Bummer. ;)

tbh it's not so much 'skill' as trial and error. I sorted my composition out, then messed around for a fair bit til I got it right. The benefits of digital, I suppose.

I was also a little bit pissed when I took it - it's in the car park of the church across the road. I'm a much better photographer half cut, for some reason.

Fuck, forgot to put down that I voted for Clyde as well.

Bummer. ;)

tbh it's not so much 'skill' as trial and error. I sorted my composition out, then messed around for a fair bit til I got it right. The benefits of digital, I suppose.

I was also a little bit pissed when I took it - it's in the car park of the church across the road. I'm a much better photographer half cut, for some reason.

Nowt the matter with a bit trial and error. Most probably wouldn't have even spotted the shot. I love taking pictures pissed. Never got a good shot out of it, mind!

some really brilliant pictures this month, well done everyone, way out of my ablilites!

my vote goes to thankheavenforshed7. absolutely lovely picture that makes me want to ask questions about where, who, when etc. as there was no theme i chose the picture that made me most interested. love not spavin's too, and just to put my 2 penneth in, i prefer clyde's picture when edited and i think peachy should have left her pictures in as i liked the uniqueness of it.
Thank you LK. I withdrew as I couldn't be bothered with the arguments of whether a four shot (combined) picture should be allowed even though within the rules. And to be fair I think I possibly said I didn't like a three picture entry back last February (ish). I half wish I had entered just one now because I've entered every single month, but nevermind. It's the taking part that counts and I loved my winter sun that the gods bestowed last Sunday afternoon.

not spavin - Sorry if this sounds a bit like I'm bumming you but I really like this picture. I think that the ultimate display of photographic skill is when you can produce something so outstanding out of the ordinary. It's dead easy to take good shots of amazing scenery, but to take something so mundane and produce such a striking image shows real talent. Vote

peachbum - I really like the idea that underpins this piece. I'm probably most interested in photography which shows the sides of places that are often overlooked. I'd much rather see a picture of a gritty street in Leytonstone than a picture of Tower Bridge, for example. I also really like the composition of the remembrance day shot. Visually, I'm not sure how well the shots hang together, but I certainly like the theory behind it.
About Not Spavin's, I agree with you. He seems to be a good photographer and I suppose I expect more of his photos? In the sense I am a harsher critic of his pictures? I was thinking of his picture whilst swimming tonight - strange woman that I am. :) Only two pictures in it this month it seems now.

Thanks for your comments about mine, I didn't know whether to post the graffitied bridge in the sunlight or the sun shining through the alley, then I saw the collage thing in Picnik and put four in. Never done a collage before
but shall take your (bolded) comment on board as I think it is quite valid - cheers.

Thank you LK. I withdrew as I couldn't be bothered with the arguments of whether a four shot (combined) picture should be allowed even though within the rules. And to be fair I think I possibly said I didn't like a three picture entry back last February (ish). I half wish I had entered just one now because I've entered every single month, but nevermind. It's the taking part that counts and I loved my winter sun that the gods bestowed last Sunday afternoon.

About Not Spavin's, I agree with you. He seems to be a good photographer and I suppose I expect more of his photos? In the sense I am a harsher critic of his pictures? I was thinking of his picture whilst swimming tonight - strange woman that I am. :) Only two pictures in it this month it seems now.

Thanks for your comments about mine, I didn't know whether to post the graffitied bridge in the sunlight or the sun shining through the alley, then I saw the collage thing in Picnik and put four in. Never done a collage before
but shall take your (bolded) comment on board as I think it is quite valid - cheers.

The one with the blue door is the best for me.

Smoker for me - an amazing technical feat, and had the benefit of not having any votes yet.

Tidied :p
;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the crit guys, Havent been out with my camera for a few weeks so rushed into this one. Didnt have any waterproofing on my camera so had to hurry it a bit and my daughter is too selfconcious to "pose". Just seen the huge snowflakes and thought lets get out there! I wanted a Julie Andrews in the sound of music type pose, arms outstretched and twirling but she wouldnt. Thanks for the Votes :)

Spavs for me is great - wish I'd took it. Janiep's too is very well done, great colours. My two votes.

Madmackem and Clyde for me, and if I'm honest I was meant to vote for Smoker as well but mis-clicked :oops:

I don't have the expertise/equipment to take photos like that of space, but they fascinate me at times.

I really liked the colours on amnorrageordie, so went for that :)

cheers for the comments on mine

Sorry, I've been somewhat out of the loop for a few days. Congratulations to Clyde on the win, the picture will now be entered into the Photo of the year competition once the December winner is chosen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back