November 19th

It is also world toilet day and I have heard more about that today than international men's day - that about sums it up and is the reason why those stats are what they are.

That said, I do spend a lot of time in the toilet - one of life's pleasures especially at work :D

Is International Men’s Day.

Own it, you lot. You deserve it.

Logon or register to see this image

On Twitter it all seemed to be about depression, suicide and how I should really be crying right now. And most of it from women. Nowt positive or inspiring at all.

Was very disappointed. Nowhere near as much fun as International Women’s day.

To be honest, I might see if I can give it a swerve next year and have an additional pancake day instead.

Is International Men’s Day.

Own it, you lot. You deserve it.

Logon or register to see this image
Jess Phillips hates this :lol:
Seriously though men or women the amounts of suicides lately are horrendous, yet another one hoyed themselves off scammonden bridge at the weekend, think bridge jumpers alone is nearly one m62 suicide a week so far this year and thats just one tiny tiny part of it

On Twitter it all seemed to be about depression, suicide and how I should really be crying right now. And most of it from women. Nowt positive or inspiring at all.

Was very disappointed. Nowhere near as much fun as International Women’s day.

To be honest, I might see if I can give it a swerve next year and have an additional pancake day instead.
It’s probably all women because we don’t teach our boys to talk about shit like that. We need to.

It’s probably all women because we don’t teach our boys to talk about shit like that. We need to.

Yeah. That’s the kind of patronising crap I was reading today.

There’s far more to it than just ‘teaching’ and ‘talking’ about stuff like that.

Do you welcome men lecturing you on how they feel you should be behaving?

Yeah. That’s the kind of patronising crap I was reading today.

There’s far more to it than just ‘teaching’ and ‘talking’ about stuff like that.

Do you welcome men lecturing you on how they feel you should be behaving?
Can you tell me why you think I’m lecturing you on your behaviour?

I’m saying that society makes it difficult for men to deal with certain things and as a society “we” need to fix that. And I’m society, so that includes me.

If you disagree, how do you think we should tackle the issues in my OP?

Can you tell me why you think I’m lecturing you on your behaviour?

I’m saying that society makes it difficult for men to deal with certain things and as a society “we” need to fix that. And I’m society, so that includes me.

If you disagree, how do you think we should tackle the issues in my OP?

The lecturing aspect came from you seemingly stating what the problem was and what we need to do to solve it i.e. we don’t teach boys to talk and we need to. The former isn’t necessarily true and the latter is only a small part of the solution.

It’s more than just men being able to deal with things. It’s also about how society treats men. What society expects from men. How society portrays men.

There are so many things that can be done to tackle the pressures/expectations facing men. And some of that can be driven and supported by women, such as help change childcare environments to be less focussed on ‘mums’.

Simply telling men why they need to change isn’t enough. And getting them to talk isn’t anywhere near enough.

The lecturing aspect came from you seemingly stating what the problem was and what we need to do to solve it i.e. we don’t teach boys to talk and we need to. The former isn’t necessarily true and the latter is only a small part of the solution.

It’s more than just men being able to deal with things. It’s also about how society treats men. What society expects from men. How society portrays men.

There are so many things that can be done to tackle the pressures/expectations facing men. And some of that can be driven and supported by women, such as help change childcare environments to be less focussed on ‘mums’.

Simply telling men why they need to change isn’t enough. And getting them to talk isn’t anywhere near enough.
I couldn’t agree more with what you’re saying, and in fact that’s exactly what I meant when I said “we” need to do something.

I certainly wasn’t implying it was all men’s fault. In fact, the opposite. That as a society we need to sort this out, including and especially how society treats men and expects from them. My point around is teaching boys to talk about emotions comes from what society expects from them - be a man, don’t be girly, boys don’t cry, man up etc.

If you look at my posting history you’ll see I’m a huge vocal supporter of men taking on more childcare and stuff being less about “mums”. I was actually due to talk on 5Live last week about precisely that until it got postponed.

I couldn’t agree more with what you’re saying, and in fact that’s exactly what I meant when I said “we” need to do something.

I certainly wasn’t implying it was all men’s fault. In fact, the opposite. That as a society we need to sort this out, including and especially how society treats men and expects from them. My point around is teaching boys to talk about emotions comes from what society expects from them - be a man, don’t be girly, boys don’t cry, man up etc.

If you look at my posting history you’ll see I’m a huge vocal supporter of men taking on more childcare and stuff being less about “mums”. I was actually due to talk on 5Live last week about precisely that until it got postponed.
We could do that or have a decent war.

Back