Notre Dame (Paris) on fire?

Im expecting the UK government to donate money to the rebuilt, even after the little general treats us like shit on his shoe during Brexit negs.
We shouldn't donate anything IMO (my answer would be the same regardless of Brexit or Remaining), although I also think Macron has done nothing wrong personally.

A Twitter tribute.

@WMcHBg: Notre-Dame has stood in Paris for 856 years. It’s 726 years older than the Eiffel Tower, 276 years older than Joan Of Arc (now deceased), and 640 years older than the USA. Seeing it destroyed in 45 minutes, live on Twitter, is difficult to find words for.

I pleased they pointed out Joan of Arc was now deceased mind.

its bound to be something as mundane as a discarded tab end by a construction worker having a sly one when nobody was watching

I hate to say it but the Minster is more impressive, doorknocker aside
Durham Cathedral is lovely...buts its a much less extravagant..its less fiddly for want of a better word...its there to do its job and make a statement, but they didnt go mad with it

Last edited:
By chance yesterday I was on a tour around Canterbury Cathedral . Canterbury like Notre Dame is undergoing extensive repairs that will take several years and I suspect that this morning a lot of worried people will be looking very closely again at the safety of the site in the light of yesterday's terrible fire in Paris.

Canterbury itself burned down in the Middle Age and was rebuilt. Many of these ancient great buildings have suffered catastrophic damage over the hundreds of years that they have existed. The collapse of the main tower has not been uncommon as happened at Hereford and Ely and we all remember the recent fire at York caused by lightening. It's very unfortunate when it does happen but its seems almost inevitable that given enough time a 1000 year old buildings will suffer some sort of disaster. Looking at these Cathedrals today the rebuilding work of the past has however now become part of the fabric of the history of the building.

Like York I am sure that the French will repair the damage to Notre Dame. The Cathedral will not be the same as it was before but their work will be the work of their generation of French crafts men and women and that it will last 1000 years and become part of the buildings history

Like York I am sure that the French will repair the damage to Notre Dame. The Cathedral will not be the same as it was before but their work will be the work of their generation of French crafts men and women and that it will last 1000 years and become part of the buildings history
I remember another bloke talking about stuff lasting a thousand years. It didn't end well.

its bound to be something as mundane as a discarded tab end by a construction worker having a sly one when nobody was watching

Durham Cathedral is lovely...buts its a much less extravagant..its less fiddly for want of a better word...its there to do its job and make a statement, but they didnt go mad with it
Didn’t go mad! You cannot be more wrong. As I have said in previous posts, it was constructed in only 40years using only muscle power, a great achievement. This means that it is built in one style, Romanesque or Norman which gives it that cohesive style. If anyone has visited Canterbury, it feels like 2 buildings stuck together, the styles are so different.
Durham was constructed using revolutionary techniques, it was the first major church to use the Gothic arch and flying buttresses. The reason that Durham looks plain from the outside is that it was “improved” some centuries ago and excess decorations were removed.
Bill Bryson said it is the best building in the world, I don’t disagree.

Durham cathedral doesn’t look ‘plain’ from the outside. Just magnificent. As for the inside, every time I go in I am overwhelmed by its beauty. This is not just a response to its architecture and artistry, but what it means to the people of County Durham, and to the world.

I’m not suggesting that. My point was it must lead to some uncomfortable mental Olympics for believers. The god they have chosen and have been told is loving. They (Christians) build and maintain a massive and iconic building in which they (as instructed in Exodus) worship him - they’ve done their bit, right? Yet, the omnipotent boss allows this to happen. I’d be struggling with it if I was a believer but, as somebody mentioned earlier, it’s far easier and more comforting for them not to even think about it.

Anyway, The Archbishop of Canterbury seems to think this isn’t The Beard’s doing, judging by his Tweet.
Not at all. If all is the work of God, and the work of God is all good, then how can a building burning down be a bad thing? How can anything be bad? If you are a believer, then belief in a God who created and represents all things shouldn’t be confined to the walls of a building from the dark ages, anyway. Symbolically, this could be perceived to be truly the work of God.

Not at all. If all is the work of God, and the work of God is all good, then how can a building burning down be a bad thing? How can anything be bad? If you are a believer, then belief in a God who created and represents all things shouldn’t be confined to the walls of a building from the dark ages, anyway. Symbolically, this could be perceived to be truly the work of God.
Hahahah aye OK mate

Back