Notre Dame (Paris) on fire?

I’m not suggesting that. My point was it must lead to some uncomfortable mental Olympics for believers. The god they have chosen and have been told is loving. They (Christians) build and maintain a massive and iconic building in which they (as instructed in Exodus) - they’ve done their bit, right? Yet, the omnipotent boss allows this to happen. I’d be struggling with it if I was a believer but, as somebody mentioned earlier. It’s fr easier and more comforting for them not to even think about it.

Anyway, The Archbishop of Canterbury seems to think this isn’t The Beard’s doing, judging by his Tweet.

The Book of Job is the Bible's answer to this. It's not like this is the first time Catholics or Christians had to confront the deaths of believers and/or destruction of religious symbols and square them with their faith in a loving god.

Well, most of the building is stone. I think the only timber is in the roof, but presumably that will go, as would anything inside as it collapses. It's pretty awful.

The stone is very old and in poor condition by all accounts and was one of the reasons they were working on it. Being exposed to such heat will not have helped one bit and I would not be surprised if a lot of stonework will also have been damaged beyond repair.

Rebuilding it is a huge challenge as we just don't build things like that anymore. It won't be done in a couple of years either.

I’m not suggesting that. My point was it must lead to some uncomfortable mental Olympics for believers. The god they have chosen and have been told is loving. They (Christians) build and maintain a massive and iconic building in which they (as instructed in Exodus) worship him - they’ve done their bit, right? Yet, the omnipotent boss allows this to happen. I’d be struggling with it if I was a believer but, as somebody mentioned earlier, it’s far easier and more comforting for them not to even think about it.

Anyway, The Archbishop of Canterbury seems to think this isn’t The Beard’s doing, judging by his Tweet.
How omnipotent are we talking about?

Did he get distracted when all those choirboys got abused? If so it wouldn't be the first time a bunch of wranguns got their house burned down

The stone is very old and in poor condition by all accounts and was one of the reasons they were working on it. Being exposed to such heat will not have helped one bit and I would not be surprised if a lot of stonework will also have been damaged beyond repair.

Rebuilding it is a huge challenge as we just don't build things like that anymore. It won't be done in a couple of years either.

You are absolutely right. An assessment of the mortar joints will state if they are good or need replacing. If this is the case, it’s potentially number each one with a unique identifier and rebuild. You are talking a decade to rebuild.

Unlike this country the main cathedrals of France are owned by the state. Money won’t be a problem imo as it is such an icon in France and the world that it will be rebuilt regardless
I hope the French have a really good debate about what to do. Like for like reconstruction is probably what many people will (understandably) want, but there's an opportunity to do something different. As posted above, 'new' St Pauls beats old St Pauls IMHO. But you need an architect of genius to carry it off.

I was thinking of Sagrada Familia. They've been building that from scratch over the last 140 years or so. Obviously it's not going to be an overnight repair job, but it could be done in time. A very long time!

I hope the French have a really good debate about what to do. Like for like reconstruction is probably what many people will (understandably) want, but there's an opportunity to do something different. As posted above, 'new' St Pauls beats old St Pauls IMHO. But you need an architect of genius to carry it off.
I agree, the restoration shouldn’t necessarily be carried out like for like. The exterior that survives could be incorporated into a more modern building/interior bringing another chapter in the life of this beautiful building.

People often forget these most of these ancient structures are not “as built” having had many disasters, rebuilding and additions over the centuries.

I was thinking of Sagrada Familia. They've been building that from scratch over the last 140 years or so. Obviously it's not going to be an overnight repair job, but it could be done in time. A very long time!
Aye, but that's cos they're insisting on doing everything by hand.

If the French allowed computers to control the stone cutting they could have the whole thing back up in no time.

I agree, the restoration shouldn’t necessarily be carried out like for like. The exterior that survives could be incorporated into a more modern building/interior bringing another chapter in the life of this beautiful building.

People often forget these most of these ancient structures are not “as built” having had many disasters, rebuilding and additions over the centuries.

If a workman has caused this he's in for a right bollocking

Back