Notre Dame (Paris) on fire?

Apparently the structures in the belfries that hold up the bells are wooden, and the firefighters thing they may have knocked the fire back enough that at least one of them is safe. So perhaps they are gaining the upper hand.
If they have managed to save the structure the roof can be rebuilt. Cost may be prohibitive though.

I see it hasnt taken long for Hopkins on twitter to turn it into another islamification of Europe event

Water canon dowsing the structure to the left in that image. Hopefully soaked the timbers sufficiently to prevent spread.

I think it's same principle, different location. The structure at issue is the one at the top-left of the image (the towers on the front of the building).

Agreed. I’m sure they won’t be having a crisis, as it would be more difficult for them to think about how it could have been “allowed” to happen. They tend not to think about such things.

Why not? Have a read through the rest of the thread for other off piste comments. Why object to me rising it is more interesting.
Prrhaps their god is not one who interferes in every day to day thing. Perhaps it takes a disaster like this to unite people and give them something central to focus on and share.

I’m not religious myself, but it is a pretty lame blow to say your god can’t exist because that building caught fire.

Had a hunch it was those French builders

Brewing up black coffee and puffing away on their Galoises

Should've got some British builders in, if there were any fires they could've used the endless cups of tea they drink to put it out

Last edited:
What is a nice idea? The Catholic church not sending out the begging bowls for renovation to one of the most iconic catholic churches in the world? Surely they would want to repair Gods house and the catholic church is staggeringly rich.

Of course it is staggeringly rich and I cannot see the Church giving any money.

Something as iconic as this will hopefully pull in world wide donations.
The collection tins will be rattling on Sunday.

To give some idea of scale, I was in Durham Cathedral today and I’m sure it said that they need £150,000 a week to run, maintain and improve the cathedral. Insane amounts of money.

Prrhaps their god is not one who interferes in every day to day thing. Perhaps it takes a disaster like this to unite people and give them something central to focus on and share.

I’m not religious myself, but it is a pretty lame blow to say your god can’t exist because that building caught fire.

I’m not suggesting that. My point was it must lead to some uncomfortable mental Olympics for believers. The god they have chosen and have been told is loving. They (Christians) build and maintain a massive and iconic building in which they (as instructed in Exodus) worship him - they’ve done their bit, right? Yet, the omnipotent boss allows this to happen. I’d be struggling with it if I was a believer but, as somebody mentioned earlier, it’s far easier and more comforting for them not to even think about it.

Anyway, The Archbishop of Canterbury seems to think this isn’t The Beard’s doing, judging by his Tweet.

Last edited:

A rather impotent Omni-Potent god thought, if you'll pardon the pun.

Agreed. I’m sure they won’t be having a crisis, as it would be more difficult for them to think about how it could have been “allowed” to happen. They tend not to think about such things.
I remember the bad fire at York Minster. The Archbishop of York was asked if it was an act of God and he replied 'I think it's more likely to be the work of the other fellow'.

I’m not suggesting that. My point was it must lead to some uncomfortable mental Olympics for believers. The god they have chosen and have been told is loving. They (Christians) build and maintain a massive and iconic building in which they (as instructed in Exodus) worship him - they’ve done their bit, right? Yet, the omnipotent boss allows this to happen. I’d be struggling with it if I was a believer but, as somebody mentioned earlier, it’s far easier and more comforting for them not to even think about it.

Anyway, The Archbishop of Canterbury seems to think this isn’t The Beard’s doing, judging by his Tweet.
It was the same god who apparently wiped all humans and animals off the face of the earth because he was unhappy, so he does have form.

Edit: except for those in the Ark!

Back