Notre Dame (Paris) on fire?

Why am I a lunatic? By my gently questioning and parodying a conundrum presented to a believer - i.e. why their god would allow a building built for him to burn down?.
Perhaps to allow people to come together and rebuild?

It’s been mentioned on this thread about individualism being the undoing of our society, that’s true, but by coming together as a people we can achieve great things.

Why am I a lunatic? By my gently questioning and parodying a conundrum presented to a believer - i.e. why their god would allow a building built for him to burn down?

Dear me.

But all of the other off piste comments are perfectly acceptable to you? Interesting.
Aye. It's not like he started this one with a lightning bolt. That I could understand as a sign of his approval*.

* His approval of what, I dunno.

It’s been mentioned on this thread about individualism being the undoing of our society, that’s true, but by coming together as a people we can achieve great things.

Agreed. I wish the world could do this on Climate Change. The nearest we’ve got to somebody who can clash heads together and get people to smell the coffee is Sir David Attenborough. However he’s only ever going to be effective in this country and we are Mickey Mouse on the world stage.

It has stood for a multitude of different things over nearly a millennium. Ignoring everything else that has changed around it over that time-politics, culture, war, peace-even if you just examined the change in the concept of Church itself that has happened in the past 900 years it’s been there, what it’s stood for, what it’s opposed, at what point, who, why etc, that’s a big deal.

And look at when it was built and built upon, and how, and why, and with what tools and knowledge etc. It’s absolutely arguable that for all our advances in construction and technology, there will never again be a building built which matches it’s beauty and iconic stature in all that remains of our species history.

The erosion or destruction of anything that has seen humanity in all its scope, evil, dreadful, beautiful and glorious all at once, for a very long period of time, is a profound loss. It is a reminder that some (most) things are bigger than us and our mortality. We share in a massive and complex narrative for a mere fraction of time. Notre Dame and buildings like it speak to a truth of existence that no one life ever can.

And now my newly born nephew will never get to visit it like I have. It’s gone. Survived countless revolutions, wars, World War f***ing 2, now just snuffsd out on a Monday. Something as seemingly immortal as that. It’s a very existential moment.
is this post not why many of us are here? Wading through endless pics, rules, wads, madones, herrings etc...... Have the largest of likes

It has stood for a multitude of different things over nearly a millennium. Ignoring everything else that has changed around it over that time-politics, culture, war, peace-even if you just examined the change in the concept of Church itself that has happened in the past 900 years it’s been there, what it’s stood for, what it’s opposed, at what point, who, why etc, that’s a big deal.

And look at when it was built and built upon, and how, and why, and with what tools and knowledge etc. It’s absolutely arguable that for all our advances in construction and technology, there will never again be a building built which matches it’s beauty and iconic stature in all that remains of our species history.

The erosion or destruction of anything that has seen humanity in all its scope, evil, dreadful, beautiful and glorious all at once, for a very long period of time, is a profound loss. It is a reminder that some (most) things are bigger than us and our mortality. We share in a massive and complex narrative for a mere fraction of time. Notre Dame and buildings like it speak to a truth of existence that no one life ever can.

And now my newly born nephew will never get to visit it like I have. It’s gone. Survived countless revolutions, wars, World War f***ing 2, now just snuffsd out on a Monday. Something as seemingly immortal as that. It’s a very existential moment.
Very well said sir!

So sad to see something that has just been such a fundamental part of Paris and indeed the world for so long, just destroyed in a few hours.

Unfortunately, it’s wholly expected. A cellulosic fire will continue to spread until there is no fuel left to burn. There will literally be stonework left.

Apparently the structures in the belfries that hold up the bells are wooden, and the firefighters thing they may have knocked the fire back enough that at least one of them is safe. So perhaps they are gaining the upper hand.

@Teed get thy tackle back out marra. Your the only survivor of the original chippy crew :lol:

Good investment tactic to buy a oak plantation in France right now.
All sentiment to one side.

Apparently the structures in the belfries that hold up the bells are wooden, and the firefighters thing they may have knocked the fire back enough that at least one of them is safe. So perhaps they are gaining the upper hand.

Logon or register to see this image

Water canon dowsing the structure to the left in that image. Hopefully soaked the timbers sufficiently to prevent spread.

Last edited:

Back