Notalgia Parasthetica

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5265

Has anyone had this irritating little bugger of a condition* and if so have you found any treatments that actually work? I'm particularly interested in any back stretches/exercise that might help.

* a more or less permanent itch just below the left shoulder blade

Has anyone had this irritating little bugger of a condition* and if so have you found any treatments that actually work? I'm particularly interested in any back stretches/exercise that might help.

Try basic planks and leg-lifts, both will strengthen your back. Not sure how that'll help like but there ya gan.

I would suggest hypnotherapy and if that doesn't work, then try a branding iron

You've done the mindfulness "working with difficulty ", approach don't avoid , its a sensation befriend it.

Sounds erotic

You lot are a fat load of help :mad:
Here you go

What are the treatment options?
Medications can bring down swelling and help relieve the itch temporarily. Doctors use the following to treat NP:

• High-dose capsaicin cream. This helps desensitize the nerve endings that make you feel itchy. You use it five times a day for one week and then three times a day for three to six weeks. Capsaicin also comes in patch form.
  • Local pain relievers. Lidocaine 2.5 percent and prilocaine 2.5 percent cream twice a day may help reduce symptoms.
  • Corticosteroid creams and injections. These may also help with the itch.
Any relief you get from these treatments is likely to be short-lived. Symptoms tend to
come back within a few days to weeks after stopping the medication. Capsaicin can cause side effects such as burning, tingling, and pain.

Some doctors treat NP with the antiseizure drug gabapentin (Neurontin). This seems to reduce the itch in people with severe cases. Other drugs may also help with NP symptoms, such as:

• epilepsy drugs carbamazepine (Tegretol) and oxcarbazepine (Trileptal)
  • tricyclic and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants
Nerve blocks and botulinum toxin type A (Botox) injections might offer longer-lasting relief from itching. The trouble is, these treatments haven’t been evaluated in large groups of people.

However, in one study, a woman who was treated with a nerve block injection stayed symptom-free for a year. Another reportshowed that relief from botulinum toxin lasted 18 months.

Even though this injection tends to wear off within six months, it may affect nerve signaling in a way that leads to more long-term symptom control.

Other treatments that doctors try for NP include:

Thor'd from Notalgia Paresthetica: Causes, Treatment, Home Remedies, and More

Last edited:
Lie on your back, feet flat to the floor. Push your bum up of the flow so your only touching the floor with your feet and upper back / shoulders. Then push yourself a round the floor really quick.

Back