Not guilty

Joan Hoggett murder trial: Ethan Mountain found not guilty of murder and faces sentence for manslaughter after shop worker stabbed to death

Criminal justice system is a joke

Should still carry the murder charge and be imprisoned without parole
Prosecutor David Brooke QC said today it is now accepted on both sides that Mountain is a paranoid schizophrenic and "very ill".

Read more at: Joan Hoggett murder trial: Ethan Mountain found not guilty of murder and faces sentence for manslaughter after shop worker stabbed to death

That isn't murder, he'll be locked up for a very long time

Stabbed 29 times but it's not murder astounding.

If there are mental health reasons for his actions then sentencing should be a minimum tarrif plus an indeterminate detention until he is deemed safe (probably never) given the brutality of the attack.

We have that in law. It's called "Her Majesty's Pleasure". It is logical that the judge will give a minimum life tarrif in this case and you can do that with manslaughter. The chances are the lad will also be sectioned.

I personally don't think he'll hever be safe for release. I don't see any psychologist in their right mind ever giving the thumbs up for release and making a judgement that may result in a future killing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bollocks man. They have established he’s a fruit loop. He was before I he did it. He’ll be committed and more than likely never get out.

Think about it. Is it the behaviour of a sane person to take a bag of knives out and randomly kill someone you’ve never met in full view of cctv?

Absolutely spot on , he’s been failed by the system and as a result two peoples lives have been destroyed. People are still banging on about him being linked to the half way house on sea road , being off his tits on drugs etc and it seems he was just an average kid apart from his mental issues obviously

The lad was diagnosed with mental health issues before the killing and told staff he would hurt people. Anger should be more directed towards the mental health provision but as is the SMB way just hang him....

Whilst I appreciate what you say. That there are the odd failings in the mental health provision for peoplle and some have fallen through the cracks. But you shouldn't use that fact to dismiss his mental capacity to cause murder so easily. He got on that metro knowing he was stabbing someone. Murder.

His defence is basically the same old shit we've heard a million times. His mother needs your irk more than his therapists Imo.

The lad was diagnosed with mental health issues before the killing and told staff he would hurt people. Anger should be more directed towards the mental health provision but as is the SMB way just hang him....

That old chestnut. There is always a balance of risks.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but since we are a liberal country we cannot lock up people just in case.

Yes there have been quite a few cases in recent years but also if people are prescribed medication the most funded health service in the world can’t make them actually take them

I agree with that, you can’t force patients to be compliant with their medicine, but it’s harder to provide effective care to everyone in need with limited budgets.

This is both a party political point and a reflection on the lack of parity of esteem between mental and physical health IMO

Whilst I appreciate what you say. That there are the odd failings in the mental health provision for peoplle and some have fallen through the cracks. But you shouldn't use that fact to dismiss his mental capacity to cause murder so easily. He got on that metro knowing he was stabbing someone. Murder.

His defence is basically the same old shit we've heard a million times. His mother needs your irk more than his therapists Imo.
It wasn't murder, the crown even agree that. It was manslaughter but then hey I bow to your superior legal knowledge.

I know the mother, and I know of him, he went to the same school as the young un. Nothing to suggest anything like this when he was a bairn

It wasn't murder, the crown even agree that. It was manslaughter but then hey I bow to your superior legal knowledge.

I know the mother, and I know of him, he went to the same school as the young un. Nothing to suggest anything like this when he was a bairn

No ones a criminal till they commit a offense. That's kind of what I'm saying. Yes look into his past and what not. But not at the expense of the present and the crime he committed. Please don't use the justice system as a barometer of truth. It's a joke.

I agree with that, you can’t force patients to be compliant with their medicine, but it’s harder to provide effective care to everyone in need with limited budgets.

This is both a party political point and a reflection on the lack of parity of esteem between mental and physical health IMO

You can Section them if they don't comply and they become a risk.

Scary thing there is a lot more these kids in schools than ever. Diagnosed with mental health issues at a young age and just put into the mainstream system. Both me and my wife see it everyday.

For someone to be guilty of murder they have to be deemed to be of sound mind at that time. The kid obviously wasn't and can't be charged with murder as a result.

Back