Not all racists are thickos

Apparently it’s because in the USA especially a lot of black people don’t have access to swimming facilities. I’m sure that they’re potentially as good as white people who swim.

That could be the case but surely some black people will have access to pools? I watched a programme before about how Jamaica produces so many brilliant sprinters and they were discussing how certain muscles in the lower leg had evolved to aid sprinting.

Interesting topic for me, I have no prior knowledge of old Jim and his views however. I will also caveat this with the fact that I feel no intellectual superiority vs the numerous non white people ive worked with over the years, many/the majority make me feel intellectually inferior. I’m just one data point of course.

I just can’t get my head around the fact that black people, based upon what you see in elite sport, are generally physically superior. Factor in that (generally) they won’t have the same advantages that white kids have, it makes it more impressive. I think you could go on record and state that with confidence that you wouldn’t be flamed. See boxing, running, football, American sports etc. On that basis, is it unreasonable to assume that race is unequal in terms of intelligence? Maybe black people have it nailed on all fronts but I don’t understand how the brain is always assumed equal but the rest of the body can clearly be superior from race to race.

The sports people are successful in tend to be influenced by a variety of cultural factors, notably opportunity and the potential rewards vs what you could achieve via a less risky path.

We see it here in sports like Rugby where the opportunity to play from a young age or receive quality coaching simply isn’t available to state school kids. The end result is the England rugby team historically being dominated by fee paying school kids. Or the South African team being dominated by white Afrikaaners despite blacks supposedly being ‘physically superior’.

I think the risk vs reward thing is the most interesting though. If you’re an impoverished black kid from south central LA, realistically you’re never going to become a doctor or a lawyer or any other stable, middle class profession. You might, just might make it as a basketball player though. You might have a really unstable home so you’re out and about anyway, so why not play on the basketball court. You’re going to work at that whilst the white kids in the slightly more affluent school down the road are going to do their chemistry homework of an evening. Because the real chance of a place at medical school and a calm place to study is available to.

I await being told this is ‘shooting you down’.

Apparently it’s because in the USA especially a lot of black people don’t have access to swimming facilities. I’m sure that they’re potentially as good as white people who swim.

He said that in general, black elite sports people are physically superior.

How many winners of world’s strongest man have been black? Then let’s think, if it offered real financial rewards which could lift you and your family out of poverty forever how many winners of worlds strongest man would be black?

That could be the case but surely some black people will have access to pools? I watched a programme before about how Jamaica produces so many brilliant sprinters and they were discussing how certain muscles in the lower leg had evolved to aid sprinting.

‘Some’ do, but that’s the point, it becomes a numbers game. If significantly more black people had access to pools and great swimming coaches, or rowing equipment and great rowing coaches. Then if those sports were financially rewarding you’d see more successful black swimmers and rowers coming through.

If significantly fewer white people in America had decent access to a college education and stable, low risk employment then you’d see far more white people in the NBA eventually.

Last edited:
The sports people are successful in tend to be influenced by a variety of cultural factors, notably opportunity and the potential rewards vs what you could achieve via a less risky path.

We see it here in sports like Rugby where the opportunity to play from a young age or receive quality coaching simply isn’t available to state school kids. The end result is the England rugby team historically being dominated by fee paying school kids. Or the South African team being dominated by white Afrikaaners despite blacks supposedly being ‘physically superior’.

I think the risk vs reward thing is the most interesting though. If you’re an impoverished black kid from south central LA, realistically you’re never going to become a doctor or a lawyer or any other stable, middle class profession. You might, just might make it as a basketball player though. You might have a really unstable home so you’re out and about anyway, so why not play on the basketball court. You’re going to work at that whilst the white kids in the slightly more affluent school down the road are going to do their chemistry homework of an evening. Because the real chance of a place at medical school and a calm place to study is available to.

How many winners of world’s strongest man have been black? Then let’s think, if it offered real financial rewards which could lift you and your family out of poverty forever how many winners of worlds strongest man would be black?

‘Some’ do, but that’s the point, it becomes a numbers game. If significantly more black people had access to pools and great swimming coaches, or rowing equipment and great rowing coaches. Then if those sports were financially rewarding you’d see more successful black swimmers and rowers coming through.

If significantly fewer white people in America had decent access to a college education and stable, low risk employment then you’d see far more white people in the NBA eventually.
Some very good points and examples.

Await to be told you are shooting me down :lol:

I hope it doesn’t come across like that, I just get the impression there’s loads of issues around race which white people just haven’t considered. Which is understandable, as why would you need to?

I think your views around black people are stuck in the 70’s. The US has a lot of middle class black people and today’s pros aren’t all lads from the slums who couldn’t achieve anything else. They all went through the college system. Granted it’s not a totally level playing field but I remain convinced that they have some genetic superiority when it comes to sports. I’m sure Wenger went on record about it years ago.

He said that in general, black elite sports people are physically superior.
They tend to have greater bone density so swimming is more difficult as it would decrease boyancy.

I think your views around black people are stuck in the 70’s. The US has a lot of middle class black people and today’s pros aren’t all lads from the slums who couldn’t achieve anything else. They all went through the college system. Granted it’s not a totally level playing field but I remain convinced that they have some genetic superiority when it comes to sports. I’m sure Wenger went on record about it years ago.

Ah yes, Arsene Wenger the renowned geneticist.

To be clear though, you’re arguing there isn’t a massive economic and social disparity between black and white people, particularly in the USA?

DNA pioneer loses honours over race claims

Nobel Prize-winning American scientist James Watson has been stripped of his honorary titles after repeating comments about race and intelligence.

In a TV programme, the pioneer in DNA studies made a reference to a view that genes cause a difference on average between blacks and whites on IQ tests.
I wonder why its ok to observe East Asians and Jews having higher IQs than average?

Ah yes, Arsene Wenger the renowned geneticist.

To be clear though, you’re arguing there isn’t a massive economic and social disparity between black and white people, particularly in the USA?

Christ almighty, you like to put words into people’s mouths. I quite clearly said that the playing field isn’t level. Your views on black kids pushing to make it in sports because they can’t make it in the professions is fabulously out of touch.

And Wenger was an elite coach over several decades, I think he is very well qualified to comment.

Christ almighty, you like to put words into people’s mouths. I quite clearly said that the playing field isn’t level. Your views on black kids pushing to make it in sports because they can’t make it in the professions is fabulously out of touch.

And Wenger was an elite coach over several decades, I think he is very well qualified to comment.

Nothing like putting words in people’s mouths. They were, and still very much are, less able to make it in other professions than white kids. Are you willing to dispute that?

Nothing like putting words in people’s mouths. They were, and still very much are, less able to make it in other professions than white kids. Are you willing to dispute that?

Stop going off on a tangent, nobody disputes the fact that they have a disadvantage when it comes to entering the professions. It’s reducing significantly by the day however, in the US. We are talking about black people having an advantage when it comes to the physical traits that result in successful careers in elite sports. Looking at a typical NBA/NFL team it’s clear that they do, especially when you accept your argument that they have poorer backgrounds. All pro American athletes go through college.

Thanks. I find it odd that black American kids get access to basketball courts and football fields but swimming pools are off limits. Maybe they are just really good at pinging balls around and the white kids are genetically superior at plodding up and down a pool.

Last edited:
There must be something in the swimming theory.
Some American black kids you would think would come through maybe not in the numbers of the white kids but some, but it appears none ever have, that is to elite level anyway.
Also countries with mainly all black populations haven't exactly produced top swimmers.
Look at our country, there are plenty of black athletes, yet no black swimmers.

Stop going off on a tangent, nobody disputes the fact that they have a disadvantage when it comes to entering the professions. It’s reducing significantly by the day however, in the US. We are talking about black people having an advantage when it comes to the physical traits that result in successful careers in elite sports. Looking at a typical NBA/NFL team it’s clear that they do, especially when you accept your argument that they have poorer backgrounds. All pro American athletes go through college.

Thanks. I find it odd that black American kids get access to basketball courts and football fields but swimming pools are off limits. Maybe they are just really good at pinging balls around and the white kids are genetically superior at plodding up and down a pool.
I doubt they are but if you were good at football or basketball you'd go with that, as it's much more fun and you can play with your mates. If you were shit at both you might try swimming.

Back