Northumberland - place recommendations for a night away

Not the nicest of towns/villages on the coast but there's a couple of cracking seafood restaurants in Amble (Jaspers and Old Boat House) likewise the Potted Lobster in Bamburgh.

Red lion is canny, so is beaches abd hope and anchor imho

beach is lush. im never off it mate, the bairn has built himself a den in the dunes at the minute :lol:

Stayed at Alnmouth at the Hope & Anchor over the weekend. Just been done out to high standard and premium room was £120, canny size and spec. We ate there as well, canny scran. Alnmouth is lovely in itself and an excellent base to explore from, we walked to Warkworth, about 6 - 7 miles on Sunday.

Do not in any circumstances stay in the Schooner - see Trip Advisor reviews as to why.

its been done out a lot recently the schooner has, but food was worst ive eaten while back but apparently a lot better now, not that ill give them the chance again and ive read the reviews about the rooms :eek: and reading your post makes me realise more how much I take it for granted living there, you paid £120 and I get that every single morning and I think my flat has the one of the best views in alnmouth, I love the place

Stayed at the Sun Inn last year, nice room, very friendly, good food and probably the best breakfast I've ever had. Thoroughly recommended. Alnmouth is lovely.

Tempted to turn my basement room into a bed room and rent it out to SMBers at mates rates:lol::lol:

Last edited:
Stayed at Doxford Hall (Alnwick way), a few weeks ago, has a great spa etc. Best hotel I have stayed in in the UK. Beautiful place, highly recommend. £110 for couple B&B with use of spa unlimited. Luxurious rooms.

Thanks for that just booked a couple of days away there for us two.

Alnmouth is nice, but hugely inflated property prices are forcing proper locals out, the place is now full of old southerners. Hardly a local accent to be heard there these days.

Alnmouth is nice, but hugely inflated property prices are forcing proper locals out, the place is now full of old southerners. Hardly a local accent to be heard there these days.

Absolutely this. We were over last weekend and I said exactly this to our lass (no). There was one group of lads, lads, lads who sounded local, but pretty much to a man/woman everybody seemed to be a relatively old tourist from outside the area. It seems they might not have been tourists after all from what you say.

I used to play darts for the Bull many years ago, spent many nights there getting pissed. Very nice little boozer, off the main drag so usually gets bypassed by the local idiots, so tends to attract older punters.

They were dead canny it was just funny: "We're not actually open but yous can stay for one", then "Aye so you'll be heading home after these then?" when hanging the cans of Guinness over. :lol:

Back