Northern Spire

It's just a shame we haven't preserved the history like Newcastle. I was looking at streetview earlier and I never noticed that CeX is built on a lovely old Victorian building. I never usually look up when I'm down the town but I shall from now on.

Logon or register to see this image
You should like mate. There's some cracking little gems you wouldn't otherwise notice. The Bank of Scotland on the corner of High Street West being a good example.

You should like mate. There's some cracking little gems you wouldn't otherwise notice. The Bank of Scotland on the corner of High Street West being a good example.
Aye it's amazing what you don't see until somebody points it out.

Few years ago I was standing at the busstop on Green Terrace (opposite Cooper Rose) and there was an old bloke in his 80's standing there looking up at something. So I curiously mooches over and stands next to him, and he says, "It's a bloody shame that mind", I look up, and there it was....

I've probably walked past that place a million times and I've never once noticed how stunning that building is. He was right, bloody shame anarl.

Few years ago I was standing at the busstop on Green Terrace (opposite Cooper Rose) and there was an old bloke in his 80's standing there looking up at something. So I curiously mooches over and stands next to him, and he says, "It's a bloody shame that mind", I look up, and there it was....

I've probably walked past that place a million times and I've never once noticed how stunning that building is. He was right, bloody shame anarl.
used to catch the Grindon bus opposite there back in the day spent many hours admiring that whilst freezing my knackers off

It's just a shame we haven't preserved the history like Newcastle. I was looking at streetview earlier and I never noticed that CeX is built on a lovely old Victorian building. I never usually look up when I'm down the town but I shall from now on.

Used to be "Mr Smith's" in the late 70's. I believe it was owned by Mike Emmerson of Finos fame.
Clobber and records downstairs with a café upstairs.
A caged swearing mynah bird was in the café too, adding fun to assembled shoppers.

Listed building that one.

The old water board building is a topper anarl.

Dropped the wifes car off down Hendon for an MOT last month, giving me a couple of hours to mooch round the town up from Hendon walking up High St East into Sunniside area, and I spent a lot of time looking up at some of the buildings, some used, some in need of repair. A crying shame. Modern shop frontages spoiling the buildings or buildings just left to go to shit.

Even some of the houses down the East End could be made ito something special. The houses on Toward Road could be superb, even the terrace houses in Peel St etc, put those houses in a nicer area and they'd be worth a fortune.

Great to see the old Gossips building brought back to life too, hopefully the old sweet shop gets some investment on the corner too.

Last edited:

My mate reckons he went to school in there. Mind he is a confused old bastard, so may be wrong.

My mate reckons he went to school in there. Mind he is a confused old bastard, so may be wrong.
Some info here about the Technical College here

Our history

Here's a close up showing Technical College signage

The photograph doesn’t do it justice. Was alternating between red, blue and green on Monday night. Looked class.
This is the remote control for it as it's just some cheap tat LED lighting from AliExpress ;) Same goes for the Beacon Of Light :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

This is in Fawcett Street also, look at the clip of the brickwork and the bottom left window of the 6 windows! :lol:

Link to Fawcett Street Google Street View

Listed building that one.

The old water board building is a topper anarl.
And the Port building opposite where Joplings was.There are loads, people just need to look!

Dropped the wifes car off down Hendon for an MOT last month, giving me a couple of hours to mooch round the town up from Hendon walking up High St East into Sunniside area, and I spent a lot of time looking up at some of the buildings, some used, some in need of repair. A crying shame. Modern shop frontages spoiling the buildings or buildings just left to go to shit.

Even some of the houses down the East End could be made ito something special. The houses on Toward Road could be superb, even the terrace houses in Peel St etc, put those houses in a nicer area and they'd be worth a fortune.

Great to see the old Gossips building brought back to life too, hopefully the old sweet shop gets some investment on the corner too.
Trafalgar Square, Church from 1719, Donnison.

Aye I didn't realise we were such a high priority target for the German bombing raids either, obviously due to our ship-building prowess.

Nazi bastards coming over here and taking all our buildings! :mad:
But,but it's all the council's fault.

Last edited:
The Royal Infirmary should've been converted into flats instead of being demolished and new flats built instead.

Had some many add-ons it looked a bit of an eyesore by the end. From memory weren't the ceilings really high?

There was an auld barracks building down here that was demolished rather than converted cos the developer successfully argued keeping them warm efficiently was impossible with 14ft high rooms in 100 yo+ buildings.

Had some many add-ons it looked a bit of an eyesore by the end. From memory weren't the ceilings really high?

There was an auld barracks building down here that was demolished rather than converted cos the developer successfully argued keeping them warm efficiently was impossible with 14ft high rooms in 100 yo+ buildings.

I would've only kept the main building. No idea about the high ceilings but I would've thought they'd be the same as any Victorian buildings.

Back