North East songs

Reet, I've found the record. It's called 'Home Newcastle - The North East's Greatest Hits' and has the following mix of really nice and utter shite:

1. I'm Coming Home, Newcastle - Busker
2. Jarrow Song - Alan Price
3. Water of Tyne - Prelude.
4. Blaydon Races - Owen Brannigan. Bit of blurb: 'A version of the Geordie Anthem The Blaydon Races just had to be included and Owen Brannigan's rendition must surely be the most consistently popular. Owen signs here with Low Fell Ladies Choir, the Felling Male Voice Choir, BMC Concert Band, and plenty of gusto.'
5. Geordie was a Clubman
6. Durham Town - Roger Whittaker
7. Fog on the Tyne - Lindisfarne.
8. Dance ti this daddy - Alex Glasgow
9. Geordie's Lost his Liggy - Geordie
10. Geordie Sunday - JACK CHARLTON - a stunning piece of Geordie kitsch, you'll cry laughing.
Durham f***ing town man. The bastard should have been shot for that fucker.

Iteresting - "Swarf" doesn't seem to be a NE dialect word though. It sounds as if it should be.

I always have a tub of Swarfega about. Apart from your hands I have found that it's the best thing to get wet paint and oil off clothing. It's much better than turps and white spirit that damage the natural oils in the cloth, are harder to wash out and stink.
Swarf is the proper technical term isn't it?

Last edited:
Durham f***ing town man. The bastard should have been shot for that fucker.

Swarf is the proper technical term isn't it?
1) I always refer to Whittaker as the "South African singer" because although he was born in Kenya it's the pretty much same thing.
2) Yep it seems to be the correct technical term for it.

Back