North East songs

Discussion in 'SMB' started by HellsBells, Nov 17, 2017.

1. duff_man

duff_man Striker

For kids they need to be short and to the point, the little fella loves the Lee Howey song

2. :cool:

When my lad was little he was convinced the Alan Shearer song used illiterate as the insult , he couldn't fathom anything worse than being unable to read and write bless him

3. Lord Potts

Lord Potts Winger

It was always a "Benker" round our way . We refused to be slaves to the Mag dialect hinney. ;)

muggboots and HellsBells like this.
  4. SteveB

SteveB Striker

Bobby shaftoe. Probably one unique to our lot ?

5. Lord Potts likes this.
  6. Chesterladmackem

Chesterladmackem Central Defender

Sorry had to do it.... bollox I kna

7. Billy Rocket

Billy Rocket Winger

8. WildTurkey

WildTurkey Midfield

It’s a good tune, so was immensely proud when the young ‘un asked for it to be my ring tone when he was only 5

9. heroesof73

heroesof73 Striker

told the story at my Daughter's Wedding of her first match at 5/6 or so. Mum asked if she had enjoyed it on her return and she said it was great especially the songs with her fav "the Referee's a Wonka" :lol::oops::lol:
    Thank God for the Chocolate factory:cool:

muggboots, duff_man, riffraff and 2 others like this.
  10. Jack Wolforskin

Jack Wolforskin Midfield

11. Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    HerdnMulhall likes this.
  12. heston

heston Striker

So unsophisticated but so brilliant. Maybe in the top ten punk songs ever.

Billy Rocket likes this.
  13. taipeisafc

taipeisafc Winger

I am sure it was “and his hands all clay” when my mother used to sing it

14. Lord Potts

Lord Potts Winger

Now I have a vague recollection of what swarf was. Was it the razor sharp spiral of steel that was produced when drilling large holes in to thick steel plates? I might be hoplessly wrong but if I am right I promise that I haven't looked it up.
    I used to see that stuff when passing Marshall's foundry/ workshop in The Kings Road off Southwick Green when I was a kid.

PinzaC55 likes this.
  15. Big Sharp Teeth

Big Sharp Teeth Striker

It can lead to an odd mixture of pride and guilt. I dropped the bairn, seven, at her school for a half term sports camp thing the other day. I had to leave her in a sports hall full of lads in Chelsea and Arsenal strips while she was in her Sunderland top. I was proud but also a bit guilty for the stick she might get.

Still, as I always tell her, it’s character building.

tiptoad, KarenDent and HellsBells like this.
  16. riffraff

riffraff Striker

Kerf or Kurf. Not sure about swarf tbh. But I’m a sawdust manufacturer.....when I can be arsed.

Lord Potts likes this.
  17. My lad boards, has to have his name in everything.... Except anything SAFC related, " no need mam, nobody else is going to claim that"

18. Billy Rocket

Billy Rocket Winger

And a true story.

19. Swarf - Wikipedia

Yeah, like this
    [​IMG]
    And you used something called Swarfega to clean the shit off your hands.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Lord Potts likes this.
  20. Lord Potts

Lord Potts Winger

Iteresting - "Swarf" doesn't seem to be a NE dialect word though. It sounds as if it should be.

I always have a tub of Swarfega about. Apart from your hands I have found that it's the best thing to get wet paint and oil off clothing. It's much better than turps and white spirit that damage the natural oils in the cloth, are harder to wash out and stink.