North Dock

I've been walking round the Marina as daily exercise and trying to remember what used to be there before.

My granddad used to take me for walks on the beach and sometimes we would go along to the North Pier and by the sawmill...he used to talk about how there was a railway from Seaburn to the staithes on the North Dock - from looking around today my guess is that it was where the Harbour View car garage workshop was. My granddad never saw the Marina, which is probably just as well as I don't think he would have appreciated it much.

I'm sure some of you will have a much better memory than I do and I'd be interested to hear what recollections people might have.

You can see where the railway line branched off near Seaburn Metro station. I’ve got a vague recollection from being a kid walking under the road where the Harbour View garage is on the way to Roker Park. The bridge is still there, but think it’s now blocked off.

It came out under the black pipe.
It went over the field to Roker baths rd, over the conkie near the Derby to the pidgie, out into fulwell rd where Redby is now and up along side Laburnum rd.
I’ve got a pic somewhere with the arch way when the cabins were near the black pipe. Father Cornish had a cabin and fished out of the north Dock.
https://images.app.tracking code removed/bwfS5oc9ek5aaNmi8

Zoom in
Logon or register to see this image
Zoom in top right corner

Last edited:
Last edited:
It wasn’t in dry dock, it was just berthed there.
Minor correction though as it was a gas rig
It was a drilling rig
I've been walking round the Marina as daily exercise and trying to remember what used to be there before.

My granddad used to take me for walks on the beach and sometimes we would go along to the North Pier and by the sawmill...he used to talk about how there was a railway from Seaburn to the staithes on the North Dock - from looking around today my guess is that it was where the Harbour View car garage workshop was. My granddad never saw the Marina, which is probably just as well as I don't think he would have appreciated it much.

I'm sure some of you will have a much better memory than I do and I'd be interested to hear what recollections people might have.
The raily
I think he would appreciate it
Council did a great job
Would you prefer Armstrong Addison creosote works

Last edited:
Topper that.
The smell of creosote certainly kept your tubes clear
One Isambard Kingdom Brunel's feats of engineering.

The spoil that dug out to make the dock was used make what was then a sheer cliff face in front of the Roker Hotel into the slope that is there today.
wasn't that mentioned on one of Michael Portillos railway programmes when he was also talking about roker baths

What did the queen vic used to be
I was racking my brains last night and just can't remember

Last edited:
The smell of creosote certainly kept your tubes clear

wasn't that mentioned on one of Michael Portillos railway programmes when he was also talking about roker baths

What did the queen vic used to be
I was racking my brains last night and just can't remember

Niver seen a Portillo one about Sunderland. Brunel designed a suspension bridge to cross the Wear but sadly ended up no more than a drawing.

Back