Normality from June 21st

It’s why I’m so negative, looks to me like they are already planting the seed for ideas relating to restrictions to curb the flu, despite there never being any kind of restrictions whatsoever for flu, and just occasional public health advertising campaigns.

Why wouldn't they if it saves lives? We've seen the affect lockdown has had on flu. Im coming round to your way of thinking. I think lockdowns / restrictions at certain times of the year will become a regular feature. I didn't realise how many people seem happy to live like this as opposed to the life we had pre covid.

It’s why I’m so negative, looks to me like they are already planting the seed for ideas relating to restrictions to curb the flu, despite there never being any kind of restrictions whatsoever for flu, and just occasional public health advertising campaigns.
What does the government gain by restricting society and the economy?

What does the government gain by restricting society and the economy?
If we go along with it, maybe the idea isn't to restrict the entirety of society and the economy? Maybe they just target certain sections of society that aren't economically productive? Dystopian like but would you put it past the Tories? :lol:

Why wouldn't they if it saves lives? We've seen the affect lockdown has had on flu. Im coming round to your way of thinking. I think lockdowns / restrictions at certain times of the year will become a regular feature. I didn't realise how many people seem happy to live like this as opposed to the life we had pre covid.
This obsession with hospital capacity won’t go away. People were ignorant to how many died of flu before March 2020 but now you’ll probably see recurring figures etc. for that too. That Hopkins was essentially saying that because we’ve suppressed people’s immunity by limiting contact, flu likely to come back with vengeance. Some said that would happen but were dismissed as cranks.
I’ve mentioned my fears of having restrictions for flu for a few months and I’m starting to think I’m right, sadly. Won’t be as regressive as what we are currently going through obviously but it’ll see caps on football stadia, theatres etc. with music concerts being summer only events. Will also be strenuous measures placed on pubs, social clubs etc. What we understand as Christmas will never return either, they’ll advise (though wouldn’t dream of making it mandatory) that big household meets over the Christmas period don’t occur.
If we go along with it, maybe the idea isn't to restrict the entirety of society and the economy? Maybe they just target certain sections of society that aren't economically productive? Dystopian like but would you put it past the Tories? :lol:
Wimbledon tournament will be full, but stadiums won’t be in August, to give one example. I think the days of traditional social clubs are over too.

Last edited:
What that doctor said definitely wasn’t unreasonable in terms of its possible implications in the future when it comes to viral infections and flu like illnesses. Which is why I’m personally writing this year off as another misery ridden year as I’ve little to no doubt we'll have another lockdown unfortunately again over winter or maybe autumn to get a head start of winter pressure. What I’m saying is beyond pessimistic but these last 12 months have absolutely crushed my spirit.

Care to put some detail on that and how it helps them get re-elected which is what they really care about
This obsession with hospital capacity won’t go away. People were ignorant to how many died of flu before March 2020 but now you’ll probably see recurring figures etc. for that too. That Hopkins was essentially saying that because we’ve suppressed people’s immunity by limiting contact, flu likely to come back with vengeance. Some said that would happen but were dismissed as cranks.
I’ve mentioned my fears of having restrictions for flu for a few months and I’m starting to think I’m right, sadly. Won’t be as regressive as what we are currently going through obviously but it’ll see caps on football stadia, theatres etc. with music concerts being summer only events. Will also be strenuous measures placed on pubs, social clubs etc. What we understand as Christmas will never return either, they’ll advise (though wouldn’t dream of making it mandatory) that big household meets over the Christmas period don’t occur.

Wimbledon tournament will be full, but stadiums won’t be in August, to give one example. I think the days of traditional social clubs are over too.
I'm buying shares in tinfoil manufacturers tomorrow.

Last edited:
I agree, but that's not the angle 0321 is coming from.
In my opinion we shouldn’t lockdown for the flu or have any restrictions other than advice for it with the exception of encouraging as many people to take flu jab as possible. I think there’s more to life than merely existing. But what I want or desire is irrelevant. I accept the fact that the public at large now are happy to have significant curtailment over people’s lives to ensure deaths from respiratory illnesses are down to as low a level as an be feasibly possible.

Care to put some detail on that and how it helps them get re-elected which is what they really care about

I'm buying shares in tinfoil manufacturers tomorrow.
The public support these measures. More people thought the unlock was too fast than too slow.

If you'd dared to speculate about the above you'd have been met with the hilarious 'wibble' put down.

Guaranteed that restrictions will make a return in some capacity.
Indeed. I hope to God I am wrong, and I think it would leave my mental state in tatters, but I fear what I outlined a few posts above will be close to reality.
What that doctor said definitely wasn’t unreasonable in terms of its possible implications in the future when it comes to viral infections and flu like illnesses. Which is why I’m personally writing this year off as another misery ridden year as I’ve little to no doubt we'll have another lockdown unfortunately again over winter or maybe autumn to get a head start of winter pressure. What I’m saying is beyond pessimistic but these last 12 months have absolutely crushed my spirit.
I feel the same tbh. But my fear is there’s no end goal. Once we decide to have restrictions beyond this summer there is no going back, and will be a truly ‘new normal’.

Last edited:
The public support these measures. More people thought the unlock was too fast than too slow.

Indeed. I hope to God I am wrong, and I think it would leave my mental state in tatters, but I fear what I outlined a few posts above will be close to reality.

I feel the same tbh. But my fear is there’s no end goal. Once we decide to have restrictions beyond this summer there is no going back, and will be a truly ‘new normal’.
I don’t agree that there’s no end goal or that it will result in a completely new normal for the rest of our lives but from my point of view winter restrictions will certainly be a aspect of society for the next winter or 2. I work at the hospital, winter pressure isn’t exaggerated at all when you hear reports about it in the media. Normal winter pressure combined with covid is certainly going to alter the next year or 2 whilst the rest of the word recovers and vaccinates. Again I do believe it will all be truly over but not this year I don’t think.

It was only 12 months ago he was on here boasting about hoarding.
It's good that he is feeling more positive I suppose.

He seems to have been very strangely affected by the lockdown, hope he is ok tbf, but no need for him to be posting shite like that which he has done on a continual basis.

I don’t agree that there’s no end goal or that it will result in a completely new normal for the rest of our lives but from my point of view winter restrictions will certainly be a aspect of society for the next winter or 2. I work at the hospital, winter pressure isn’t exaggerated at all when you hear reports about it in the media. Normal winter pressure combined with covid is certainly going to alter the next year or 2 whilst the rest of the word recovers and vaccinates. Again I do believe it will all be truly over but not this year I don’t think.
Why only the next year or two? Even if we administer vaccines to every adult we feasibly can, Covid will still be around. If this notion of a bad flu year coming this year, what’s to stay that won’t be the case every year?

Why only the next year or two? Even if we administer vaccines to every adult we feasibly can, Covid will still be around. If this notion of a bad flu year coming this year, what’s to stay that won’t be the case every year?

Up until this year we accepted that flu would kill thousands of people each year. Now we know that doesn’t have to happen. Should we just ignore what we have learned and just merrily go on our way watching thousands die unnecessarily each year? Or do we do something about it?

At basic we need to vaccinate as many people as possible against flu. We need to be more hygienic in our habits, hands, face space comes in here. If we have a cold maybe we could isolate ourselves from others or if we have to go out maybe we should wear masks? It’s not a lot to ask of people especially when you consider countries such as Japan see that as normal behaviour.

Up until this year we accepted that flu would kill thousands of people each year. Now we know that doesn’t have to happen. Should we just ignore what we have learned and just merrily go on our way watching thousands die unnecessarily each year? Or do we do something about it?

At basic we need to vaccinate as many people as possible against flu. We need to be more hygienic in our habits, hands, face space comes in here. If we have a cold maybe we could isolate ourselves from others or if we have to go out maybe we should wear masks? It’s not a lot to ask of people especially when you consider countries such as Japan see that as normal behaviour.

Does it not concern you that a leading PHE official claims that reducing our exposure to flu could exacerbate problems regarding immunity further down the line?

I agree with all of that. But we should be able to do everything we’ve always done in the winter. I’m all for a public campaign to vaccinate every adult against flu if needs be, to have hand sanitising stations everywhere, for employees to have more rights to stay at home when feeling unwell with no impact on their pay and holiday terms, and to ADVISE mask wearing in enclosed indoor spaces.

My fear is many things we love doing - sporting stadiums, theatres, music concerts, restaurants and social clubs, will be out of bounds in winter months, or have restrictions on them to the point that the fun is gone, and they end up all being phased out of existence as they can’t sustain a profit.

Does it not concern you that a leading PHE official claims that reducing our exposure to flu could exacerbate problems regarding immunity further down the line?

We would still be exposed to it, just better defences against it.
I agree with all of that. But we should be able to do everything we’ve always done in the winter. I’m all for a public campaign to vaccinate every adult against flu if needs be, to have hand sanitising stations everywhere, for employees to have more rights to stay at home when feeling unwell with no impact on their pay and holiday terms, and to ADVISE mask wearing in enclosed indoor spaces.

My fear is many things we love doing - sporting stadiums, theatres, music concerts, restaurants and social clubs, will be out of bounds in winter months, or have restrictions on them to the point that the fun is gone, and they end up all being phased out of existence as they can’t sustain a profit.

No one is saying that you can’t. It’s just a suggestion that you wash your hands, keep a bit of space and if you have cold cover your face. It’s hardly sacrificing your first child.

Last edited:
We would still be exposed to it, just better defences against it.

No one is saying that you can’t. It’s just a suggestion that you wash your hands, keep a bit of space and if you have cold cover your face. It’s hardly sacrificing your first child.
People are going to stop me and others doing it this winter though. You can see it coming. The groundwork is being laid.

Back