Non-natives - North East slang that means something different where you are

I'd agree with all of this, twat can mean one of three things depending on the context.

Tabs and ket are ones I never understood when I was at uni in the N.E. What's the etymology for those two?

That might be one we did take from the Scandinavians. It’s very similar to the Old Norse for ‘Rubbish’, that said, it’s a bit of a bridge to cross as we didn’t really get sugary sweets in abundance until the Victorian era. There must have been a common North Eastern usage in a different context until then.

People are inventing words to take the piss marra, chebs is a running joke I recon so don't take the bait mate.

It’s not. I’ve heard it used in both contexts in real life and I don’t even know what’s correct any more.

After playing football in London on a muddy pitch a few years ago I said it had been great diving around in the clarts.
A Jamaican lad in the team was totally shocked and offended
(I found out later, when he explained, rightly so)
ras clart
Sometrhiong badboy Jamaican gangster smackheads say before getting into some ultra-violencwe involving faecolators

ras clart

An insulting west Indian term... not to be confused with bumbleclart

I always understood the word Canny to be a local word meaning pleasant or ok when referring to a person,
as in Canny Lad.

However I get the impression that in recent decades it’s been picked up in other areas of the U.K. and given an entirely different meaning as in clever, smart or worldly wise.

Comments ?

My grandad and his mates (from near Bishop Auckland) only ever seemed to use 'canny' to mean 'good' but not in the sense of 'pleasant or ok'

More like

'Its a canny walk home' or 'there was a canny few in the pub last night'

Probably seb by now but it's a 3 legged stool.

Not.
Either four legs or two very broad ones with a big slab of wood at each end.

Three legged stools are usually milking stools, very stoutly made with a hole in the middle for carrying them from one stall to another.
Used them myself back in the day, maybe worth a bit now if we’d hung on to them.

Back