Non-natives - North East slang that means something different where you are

Have you ever heard it spoken or just seen it written down?
Just see it written down on here. I've never heard it spoken. I never even heard of the word until I got on here, but it was easy to deduce that it meant "friend" or "mate"

Just see it written down on here. I've never heard it spoken. I never even heard of the word until I got on here, but it was easy to deduce that it meant "friend" or "mate"
I can see why if you only seen it written down you might think merde could be similar sounding but sound very different when spoken. I have American relatives and always have to translate for my grandad when they visit :lol:

I can see why if you only seen it written down you might think merde could be similar sounding but sound very different when spoken. I have American relatives and always have to translate for my grandad when they visit :lol:
:lol: I can imagine. Fuck, I need translation on here when I see it written!:lol:

:lol:

Many many moons ago we went to see The Mission at a concert and got the opportunity to meet Wayne Hussey. I wasn't really a fan of the band, but my friend was and he was ecstatic to meet him. Wayne turned to us and asked if we had a fag on us. My friend looked absolutely shocked so I explained to him that he wanted a cigarette. My friend admitted later that he thought that Wayne had mistaken us for pimps:lol:

How the fuck would I know if I'm pronouncing it wrong or not, it's not like I've ever heard it said out loud, hello? I am just saying that to me that's what it reminds me off. Of the French word for shit. Or like a smear of shit on a toilet paper. A mar of shit. I'm not trying to be offensive or rude, so I apologize if that's how it's coming out. It's just not one of my favorite words on here. Chebs is another that sounds absolutely crude as fuck to me. And you fuckers can't make up your mind on whether it means boobs or dick anyway.
It means dick.

We'll soon be onto the Bommy/Bonty/Bonnie argument soon. (it's a Bommy like).
Exactly. Bonty ffs! :lol:

People are inventing words to take the piss marra, chebs is a running joke I recon so don't take the bait mate.

Well maybe I've lived a sheltered life?

But round these parts the word twat more usually means the first bit in the following. I'd say usage of the word is lowish though.

The word twat is widely used as a derogatory epithet, especially in British English, referring to a person considered obnoxious or stupid. It is also used informally as a verb in British English to mean "to hit or punch a person". In British English and Commonwealth English, it is pronounced /twæt/ to rhyme with that, or sometimes /twɒt/, to rhyme with hot. ... Twat is also used in British English as vulgar slang for the vulva or female genitals in general.
I agree with your vulgar vulva Peachy

Back