Non-Mackems - Why do you support SAFC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone got any tissues... 3 or 4 of them stories got me...

I'm from Bishop so it was an obvious choice...

for some reason though my brother and my cousin chose Chelsea..!!

Born in Whitehaven Cumbria, Dad was born and bred in Sunlun. The whole side of my family all stay in Sunlun apart from one or two exceptions myself included. Benn a Sunlun supporter all my life.

I was born and brought up in the Ashington area, which has a definate bias towards the Mags, however, like many others, my Dad had been taken to Roker in his early days (in fact he was there when I was actually born but that's another story!) and therefore decided to reap countless years of ridicule and misery on me by making sure I was SAFC through and through.

Got me own back on the bassa like as he stopped going under Mackemenemy (surprised me that he just stopped but he hated the tw*t!), but I suggested we go one night game (under Butcher I think) and he's back in the groove now - never misses home or away. That'll teach the git!

I've no relatives, connection or anything to do with Sunderland or anywhere outside the South-East in this country.

In my formative years, however, when my parents were traipsing round the globe in military employment my Mam had the Scottish Sunday Post sent to her.

The edition we got was always the Borders / South of Scotland edition and Sunderland were always the team on the back page.

It therefore seemed as naural to me to support Sunderland as
breathing.

Which is a real pisser a lot of the time. :|

My Grandad was a Sunderland shareholder despite supporting Sheffield United. When he died (1997) he passed all his shares onto my Dad. The playoff final was a day before my Birthday so for my present he got tickets for the final using his shareholders receipt. From that day on i've supported Sunderland when Phillips made it 2-1 i've never seen such mental celebrations it was class and sent shivers down me spine.

I've been hooked ever since mainly because the pure passion of the fans.

Bobby Kerr's Tash said:
Maximus said:
I'll stick me neck out and suggest its NOT glory hunting :eek:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know its not the glory hunting, i think the team are still doing that hunt and are probably lost somewhere!!!
Its my Mum and Dads fault I support the lads, thank god i could of been supporting the Mighty Hibernian in Scotland!

have to blame my dad wholeheartedly!!!!

half of my family were from sunderland......and only one realtion now lives in sunderland seaburn infact and they are distant relatives so i never ever visit sunderland apart from match days and if me and me mate (a sland fan.....wouldnt take a mag) fancy a day out.....we go to sunderland.......yes sunderland is a day out!!!!!

me dad was born in whitburn and moved to gateshead when he was 4 and even though he had never been to a game he was a fan so you couldnt really say he was a mackem cos 4 years doesnt really count when you can only speak for one of those years.......

anyway i'm blabbering........basically me dad went to the games sometimes riding his bike there and when he met my mam ... me grandma was high up in the fa and played football for gateshead (crap...lol) and refereed (right spelling?) at high levels so he used to go and watch nwcle but he tells me it was only to be nice to me granda so he'd like him and let him marry me mam!!!!! (still hold it against him)

anyway getting back to it........my older brother went to the games from when he was little and i didnt have much interest in it what so ever i prefered sweets and dolls when my brother went to the match and it has only been the last few years that i've been interested and i'm hooked.....!!!!!

BillQuayForever said:
walesie said:
smoker said:
Why would anyone in their right mind "pick" Sunderland?

If I had the choice of any team in the world I would still support Sunderland.

It may be am extremley frustrating experience but it can be the most rewarding as well (sometimes)

EH? ARE YE DAFT MAN? ANY CHOICE? SUNDERLAND? You're ferkin crazy. I'd rather support Real or Juve or Man U or anyone - SAFC are shite.

I'm stuck though

"Yes its true - woo hoo hoo - I'm happy to be stuck with you........"
£5 Luncheon voucher for artist, song and album.

Somebody has probably said already as I haven't finished reading it all and I will forget to answer if I leave it. But Huey Lewis and the News isn't it, stuck with you and I think the album was calle Fore (as in the golf term) but I may be wrong and someone has probably said already and had 20 replies about it.

Yes, it's funny how people get in to us. I have met loads of people over the years who didn't have a strong connection with the area but liked us. I remember talking to an Irish guy on holiday once and he supported us and just picked randomly (but was wearing a strip). I think there has always been something about being the under-dog which has appealed to people.

Half of my family were from Ashington etc (moved around with the pits) and they all supported us, I know at least one of them had a season ticket for both. I was born in Durham but my mam and dad are both from Roker/Fulwell and they moved back to Roker when I was two so no question. For me, living so close to Roker Park there was just something special about it. Even before I went to the matches all the time I still remember getting excited just hearing the crowds. You could always tell if a goal had been scored and I would run in and telling my mam............Who was baking cakes in the kitchen........Everything always smelt of flowers.....and the cheeky post man would pat me on the head. There was always horse shit on the roads too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back