Non League Football

Cracking point for Shields today, at home to a good but physical Warrington side after playing majority of game with ten men.

Anyone who says young Jordan Hunter can't do a better job than whichever knacker we decide to put there must be crackers. Hunter was constantly bombing up and down the right making some crucial interceptions and great crosses.

Cracking point for Shields today, at home to a good but physical Warrington side after playing majority of game with ten men.

Anyone who says young Jordan Hunter can't do a better job than whichever knacker we decide to put there must be crackers. Hunter was constantly bombing up and down the right making some crucial interceptions and great crosses.
what was the attendance?

Took the blog to a Tyne-Wear derby yesterday - Newcastle Uni vs Sunderland West End. The Students won, so I assume the Chronic will have an 8-page supplement on Monday. I've just got a few photos. University Challenge
Ha ha. Interesting ground with a decent stand. Did not know Prudhoe had such a facility. I like the old fashioned grounds such as Tow Law Crook and West Auckland but some of the modern small stadiums such as Penrith and Consett seem to lack character and just do not have any terracing.

thanks...sunderland keep playing this shit and shields go up we'll be good for 2500's next year!
That’s the objective for next year
National league north would of course deliver much greater crowds with a number of local derbies and bigger clubs
If there’s one positive to come out of Sunderland’s playing squad at the moment it’s Jordan Hunter. What a quality player he is and each week I watch him and think he wouldn’t look at all out of place in the Sunderland side now and probably comfortably our best option at right back. But I won’t labour that as don’t want him recalled :lol:

Last edited:
Didn't mind Penrith when I went there, but it's pretty much the same as Bishop or Ashington. I think they often work well for the club, but maybe not so great for the one-off visit. Consett has nowt much to recommend it, mind. Same as Stockton Town. Got a lot of time for both clubs, but find it hard to get excited about visiting them.

That’s the objective for next year
National league north would of course deliver much greater crowds with a number of local derbies and bigger clubs
If there’s one positive to come out of Sunderland’s playing squad at the moment it’s Jordan Hunter. What a quality player he is and each week I watch him and think he wouldn’t look at all out of place in the Sunderland side now and probably comfortably our best option at right back. But I won’t labour that as don’t want him recalled :lol:
Saw the lad on my couple of visits this season. Yes he is impressive. Last year Shields had high hopes for Dan Wright who had played once for England under 18 and regularly for Sunderland. He never really settled and has drifted to the Northern League. It must be difficult for lads released to adapt as not only is the standard of football in the higher levels of non leauge good but there will be a massive readjustment for them mentally as well

Saw the lad on my couple of visits this season. Yes he is impressive. Last year Shields had high hopes for Dan Wright who had played once for England under 18 and regularly for Sunderland. He never really settled and has drifted to the Northern League. It must be difficult for lads released to adapt as not only is the standard of football in the higher levels of non leauge good but there will be a massive readjustment for them mentally as well
To be fair Dan Wright had no pace or physicality or skill to complete at Northern Premier League level.

Last edited:
To be fair Dan Wright had no pace or physicality or skill to complete at Northern Premier League level.
Interesting. There must be many similar players in the academy at Sunderland . Indeed the two under senior age teams are bottom of their respective leagues. Hard to judge young players until they move into the senior level. Your description of Wright brings to mind Sterling who we had on loan from Spurs. He lacked physicality and skill despite a a premier background

Agreed
Dan was unlucky as he is a good player and it’s fine lines. As you say the gap from tier 1-3 of non league to football league isn’t that big.
Goes to show how hard it is to make it. I’ve no doubt Jordan Hunter will be a very good football league player though

Back