Non League Football

Great player Carsa , but Reid is a good replacement to play alongside Sayer..
I think they will shock a few Shields fans with who they attract.
Now have 20 players signed for next season unless they accept offers for some already signed players I can't see them changing things much

Ridiculously complicated but basically only the champs were sure to go up. 2nd placed teams all around the country at the same level were promoted depending on their average points per game total. Thornaby qualified on that basis, some 2nd placed teams were denied. Northallerton finished 3rd and their ppg was nowhere near their totals, would have been a big shock for them to be told they were going up.

Some of the 2nd placed teams are expected to appeal. Promotion and relegation was further complicated by 2 first division teams resigning last season

Went to Workington today for what is probably/possibly/maybe/nobody really seems to have much of a clue whether it is or isn't* (*delete as applicable) the last ever match at Borough Park. The current Workington side took on a team rather optimistically titled 'Reds Legends' for the Tony Hopper Trophy.

Tony Hopper played 100 games for Carlisle United, then spent around a decade at Workington. He died last October at the tragically young age of 42, after a long battle with Motor Neurone Disease. Most of those in the Legends team had been former team mates of his.

I suspect the ground has changed very little since the Football League days. Will be a shame to see it go.

If anyone actually cares, the modern day Reds won 4-0.
I'd have gone to this if I'd known about it. Very sad about Tony Hopper. Really nice fella. His mum and dad came to our wedding last year as the Mrs' (no) family are friends with his. They were spot on too.
Who played in this? The likes of Paul Murray, etc?
Workington will still be playing there next season.

Hope youre right...Spenny/York will compete for the best I dare say, but I dont think Darlo have the clout
looks like armstrong is going there , so will probably take a few of the better blyth players with him. spennymoor are after mcguire who shields have been linked with , so they will have another forward , about 5 now and still play one up front, unless taylor is leaving cant see why they need him

I'd have gone to this if I'd known about it. Very sad about Tony Hopper. Really nice fella. His mum and dad came to our wedding last year as the Mrs' (no) family are friends with his. They were spot on too.
Who played in this? The likes of Paul Murray, etc?
Workington will still be playing there next season.
It's certainly looking more and more likely that Reds will still be at Borough Park next year.

The Legends squad was Keith Hunton, Nigel Dustin, Marc Green, Stuart Williamson, Will Varty, Matt Henney, Graham Anthony, Darren Hopper, Jonny Wright, Gareth Arnison, Anthony Wright, Tony Chilton, Graham Goulding, Mark Boyd, John George, Kyle May, Ian Milburn, James Irving, Billy Gilmour, Dave Hewson, Lee Hoolickin, Kevin Rowntree, Derek Townsley, Darren Wilson, Craig Potts and Lee Andrews.

Ridiculously complicated but basically only the champs were sure to go up. 2nd placed teams all around the country at the same level were promoted depending on their average points per game total. Thornaby qualified on that basis, some 2nd placed teams were denied. Northallerton finished 3rd and their ppg was nowhere near their totals, would have been a big shock for them to be told they were going up.

Some of the 2nd placed teams are expected to appeal. Promotion and relegation was further complicated by 2 first division teams resigning last season
It's also meant that Durham (subject to appeals) will be in NL again next year.
I think the way it's all been justified (whether right or wrong) is that the 2 teams that folded last year (Blyth & Team Northumbria) are essentially classed as relegated clubs from NL2. Not sure about the Northallerton thing, mind. How many usually come down from NL1?

Went to Borough Park once with Ashton United in 2014. It was like being in a time warp - absolutely fantastic. An old boy there, brandishing one of those old wooden football rattles which would kill you with a single blow, told me that there hadn't been a stroke of work done on the ground since they got voted out of the league in 1977. Still strangely atmospheric, though. Grand, old place. Also won the scratch card on the Ashton team coach heading back south which covered my costs for the day. Workington AFC v. Ashton United - Tue 14 October 2014 - League Videos - The Evo-Stik League

It's certainly looking more and more likely that Reds will still be at Borough Park next year.

The Legends squad was Keith Hunton, Nigel Dustin, Marc Green, Stuart Williamson, Will Varty, Matt Henney, Graham Anthony, Darren Hopper, Jonny Wright, Gareth Arnison, Anthony Wright, Tony Chilton, Graham Goulding, Mark Boyd, John George, Kyle May, Ian Milburn, James Irving, Billy Gilmour, Dave Hewson, Lee Hoolickin, Kevin Rowntree, Derek Townsley, Darren Wilson, Craig Potts and Lee Andrews.
There are some class players among that lot. Sounds like a good day for Tony.

Was Tony Chilton a young pro at Sunderland in the 80’s . A left back who played a lot in the old Central League ?

Back