Non-fiction books

Just started this and I`m hooked already. It`s a story about a WWII fighter piolet during the Battle of Britain: Very readable, you can almost imagine the author sitting in a chair recounting the story: First Light: Original Edition (Penguin World War II Collection): Amazon.co.uk: Geoffrey Wellum: 9780141042756: Books

I`m almost finished this one too about the American West and the Indian Wars. Brilliant read but such a tragedy: The Earth is Weeping: The Epic Story of the Indian Wars for the American West: Amazon.co.uk: Peter Cozzens: 9781786491510: Books

First Light is a cracker. I read a lot of that kind of stuff but that stands out. Very atmospheric.

Similarly, any of Paul Brickhill’s books are great reads IMO. The Great Escape (he was there when it happened), The Dambusters and Reach for the Sky are classic films but get nowhere close to his original books.

I’ve recently enjoyed the autobiographies of Ozzy Osbourne and Elton John, and also Peter Crouch’s book which isn’t quite an autobiography.

The story of the Wright Brothers by David McCullogh was canny as well.

I'm currently reading these, all highly recommended

(Trump and Brexit were just a trial run.)

I'm currently reading these, all highly recommended

(Trump and Brexit were just a trial run.)

Enjoyed shoe dog... Worth a read.

Agent Zigzag by Ben Macintyre. Amazing true story, local relevance...

its class. always recommend it

reading Erebus by Michael Palin at the moment, its great. true story about a the ship, its captain and crew, life and the royal navy in the 1800's. great true story, loads of interesting anecdotes.

always recommend this on these threads, a quick read, could finish it in a good day, and its jam packed with interesting stories on history, astronomy, meachanics, politics, sociology etc... read it 3 times, John Harrison is a hero of mine on the back of this book, going to greenwhich in march to see his clocks. also, not in the book, but there is a fantasic link between him/the book and Only Fools and Horses

If you like the American west genre I can highly recommend the Commanche moon book I mentioned earlier

Tells the story of the Commanche nation's rise to power and their raid on fort parker and how they treat their captives

The John Wayne film the searchers was loosely based on the fort parker rais

Is that the one about Quanah Parker?? That`s on my list. I`m reading a lot about Native American`s at the moment and I will also be concentrating on WWII in chronological order, so this years reading will be about the Blitzkrieg and Battle of Britian. I usually have 2 books on the go at the same time and have a big pile to read on the Middle East too that I need to factor in as well as a load of music biographies.

Last edited:
Black diamonds. The history of Wentworth house near Rotherham. Includes a fascinating account of mining in the Yorkshire coalfields.

Agent Zigzag by Ben Macintyre. Amazing true story, local relevance...
currently reading his one 'the spy and the traitor' off that back of the smb book thread recommendations... about a 1/3rd the way through it and i really like mcintyre's style, will certainly pickup agent zigzag at somepoint....

currently reading his one 'the spy and the traitor' off that back of the smb book thread recommendations... about a 1/3rd the way through it and i really like mcintyre's style, will certainly pickup agent zigzag at somepoint....

That's on my to read list. Currently reading "Double Cross" (which is at time hilarious) and also read "Operation Mincemeat".

Is that the one about Quanah Parker?? That`s on my list. I`m reading a lot about Native American`s at the moment and I will also be concentrating on WWII in chronological order, so this years reading will be about the Blitzkrieg and Battle of Britian. I usually have 2 books on the go at the same time and have a big pile to read on the Middle East too that I need to factor in as well as a load of music biographies.
It is mate
I'd highly recommend it

It's one of those stories that prove fact is more incredible than fiction

Going on holiday in a couple of weeks and looking for a couple of new books. Just finished reading Ant Middleton's book as well as Alex Ferguson's autobiography. Any recommendations from the wise old SMB?

Richard Dawkins - The Selfish Gene

His first book when he was still purely an evolution biologist. Absolutely outstanding and eye-opening book about genetics and evolution. Everyone should read it at some point in their lives.

Also.....
Dunno if you're into podcasts but "Legends of the wild west" by Black Barrel media is well worth a listen

its class. always recommend it

reading Erebus by Michael Palin at the moment, its great. true story about a the ship, its captain and crew, life and the royal navy in the 1800's. great true story, loads of interesting anecdotes.

always recommend this on these threads, a quick read, could finish it in a good day, and its jam packed with interesting stories on history, astronomy, meachanics, politics, sociology etc... read it 3 times, John Harrison is a hero of mine on the back of this book, going to greenwhich in march to see his clocks. also, not in the book, but there is a fantasic link between him/the book and Only Fools and Horses

I really enjoyed Longitude

Back