No more Neighbours anymore

It is one of those shows that I have never really watched but still feels like a shame to be ending. My sister used to love it when we were kids, so I was often aware of characters and story lines. Then living in shared student houses it was often on at the end of the day. Once I got into the world of work and a house of just me and the missus (which may have coincided with the Ch5 move), I don't think I've even seen anything in passing.

Still, it has been a staple of TV for a long time.

It is a sign of how TV is changing. Me and the wife used to watch EastEnders while we had our tea, because it was what was on. Then we started to get fed up and bought DVD box sets. Within a few years, we had Sky+ and that killed any soap watching for us. We no longer had to watch what was on, just keep a few things canned up. Sky+ died with catch up TV and the likes of NetFlix, with both completely replacing Sky for us. Now we can't even receive live TV. The idea of watching a soap because it is what is on feels like a distant memory.

Viewing figures suggest the same across the board. While still one of the most popular soaps and BBC shows, look at how viewing figures for EastEnders have fallen in the last 20 years:

Be a shame. All those lovely Sheila’s not gracing our screens on an afternoon. Surprise BBC haven’t gone back in for it as I’m sure they’ve been messing about with the schedules and that Doctors thing is moving to a night time

Good.

I never got over Bouncer's dream.

That was just ridiculous like. Read that the cast at the time cringed at the storyline reducing the show to a kids programme.

As if he was paid more than human actors as well, he was worth £200k before he went to doggy heaven. 😂
Whatever happened to, Dear Old Harold
He fell off the pier, and lost his glasses

Came back with amnesia iirc then went off again somewhere years ago. Apparently he’s returning for the end.

Used to watch this religiously when I was a kid, still got Ramsey Street teaspoons in the house.

Haven’t watched it regularly for about ten years now but it’s a shame it’s coming to an end, definitely a bit of an institution.

Back