No improvement under Johnson.

But... he has experimented with formations, has brought in Diamond and occasionally Embleton - and you would need to be a magician to get something out of Grigg and Graham.

We all know - have known for ages - that we need at least one striker and preferably a creative midfielder. That's what LJ inherited.

Let's be a bit more patient.
I’m preaching patience. I wadnt give him owt to spend this week.

Diamond, Gooch and Hume have pace. O’Nien is an improvement on most of the plodders too. He’s playing his pace when available.

Strikers rely on consistent service. Wyke proved he will score goals with good service. O’Brien linking and the pair work well together. However as soon as the service stops they aren’t going to create anything for themselves!
Ok everything fine then. Thanks Lee. 😂😂

I thought Scowen was one of our better players today. He gave us a bit bite and never stopped working when the rest of them seemed static at times.

The worst thing about Scowen is his shooting. He shoots like Jonny Wilkinson.

That said, he is a very busy player. He is always looking to make himself available for a pass, and is keen to get in a tackle.
Unfortunately, he is now the favourite scapegoat on here. I expect LJ to keep picking him.

He doesn’t need to be a magician to improve a team. He just needs to be better at his job than the last feller.

If he needs to spend money to improve a team rather than improve it via different tactics, formations, changing players positions, playing a kid or two, practicing dead ball situations, increased fitness training, defensive coaching, individual technique coaching, psyching em up, rabble rousing team talks etc etc. Then he’s admitting the only way ANY improvements will be made is via the cheque book. Which is not what any owner or fan wants to hear.

He's barely had any time on the training ground with them, I'm not suggesting he needs to spend and bring in a whole new squad but if you think that squad doesn't need additions and purely needs good coaching then that's being a tad naive.

The worst thing about Scowen is his shooting. He shoots like Jonny Wilkinson.

That said, he is a very busy player. He is always looking to make himself available for a pass, and is keen to get in a tackle.
Unfortunately, he is now the favourite scapegoat on here. I expect LJ to keep picking him.
Yes his shooting is terrible. But as you say he's always willing and works hard.

For me, getting rid of 352 and getting back to 4 at the back is a definite improvement. I think the players look more comfortable, better balanced, and we're creating a few more chances.

On an individual level it's more of the same, because after all it is the same players. Whether or not Johnson has the ability to improve/get more out of players remains to be seen.

Tactically, he likes to talk a good game... especially after the event. I'd like to see us put more of his talking into action before the final whistle. The formation is a start, but we're still lacking a bit of direction and certain players require guidance to improve their decision making and cut out silly mistakes. This is where Johnson needs to earn his crust on the training pitch. It's all well and good telling everyone where we're going wrong, but it's a bad job if he can't do anything about it.
He's barely had any time on the training ground with them, I'm not suggesting he needs to spend and bring in a whole new squad but if you think that squad doesn't need additions and purely needs good coaching then that's being a tad naive.
He's had a while now mind - that was his tenth game in charge yesterday.
Yes his shooting is terrible. But as you say he's always willing and works hard.
Scowen's shooting is a case in point. What's Johnson saying to him? What's he doing with him on the training pitch? Or is he scoring these ranged efforts regularly in training? If he's finding the AoL treeline then Johnson needs to be having a word about being so wasteful in good, advanced positions. Look for the pass instead.

Last edited:
For me, getting rid of 352 and getting back to 4 at the back is a definite improvement. I think the players look more comfortable, better balanced, and we're creating a few more chances.

On an individual level it's more of the same, because after all it is the same players. Whether or not Johnson has the ability to improve/get more out of players remains to be seen.

Tactically, he likes to talk a good game... especially after the event. I'd like to see us put more of his talking into action before the final whistle. The formation is a start, but we're still lacking a bit of direction and certain players require guidance to improve their decision making and cut out silly mistakes. This is where Johnson needs to earn his crust on the training pitch. It's all well and good telling everyone where we're going wrong, but it's a bad job if he can't do anything about it.

He's had a while now mind - that was his tenth game in charge yesterday.

But how long has he had out on the training pitch what with the squad being hit with Covid. All I'm getting at is that we need to be patient, I'm not looking for excuses.

But how long has he had out on the training pitch what with the squad being hit with Covid. All I'm getting at is that we need to be patient, I'm not looking for excuses.
Weeks and weeks.

We're seeing the same mistakes week in week out. He can either keep making his clever little comments about what we're doing wrong, or he can start doing something about it.

Last edited:
Who so you think can or could improve their game cos I'm struggling to think of a single one tbh
I thought that under Brown and Buxton and was proven wrong. Its more about improving the team (results) as about individual players. One less mistake per player per game wouldn’t be noticeable but could be the difference between a loss and a draw or a draw and a win.
I’m not backing Parky at all. I’m saying I want to see the current shite improved by the current manager before he’s given money to spend. If he can’t do that then find someone who can THEN give him money to spend.

I keep coming back to the Buxton-Reid changeover. We were going down under Buxton imho. His last 7 games were W1D0L7. Why mention 7? Because Reid took over with 7 games to go and W3D3L1 with the same squad. THATS the change I want to see before a fellers given money to spend. Someone who basically knows what hes doing. I don’t think it’s coincidence that Reid caused the biggest change in SAFCs status in my lifetime.
Stokoe took ages to get promoted, Keane spent hugely on transfer deadline day. They both did well dont get me wrong. Smith did anarl but all struggled in the top flight.
Show you know what you’re doing without money then you’ll be backed is what I’ll be saying when Kyrille makes me ceo.
L6 ffs

Last edited:
While the performances haven’t improved greatly, he’s took over a poor squad, with hardly any attacking threat or pace.
Plus, until the takeover is completed, the ruination and feeling of failure Donald and Methven have ingrained throughout the club, will hinder any real progression.
His appointment didn’t inspire me, and may turn out to be a dud, but it’s hard to judge in the current climate.
The point is, his job is to manage, the change was supposed to bring better management, that hasn’t happened so far. Results against the poorest opposition have been appalling.

I could not agree less with all of this post.

Sometimes I think people see what they want to see. Sacking Parkinson was fair enough and there are mitigating circumstances for LJ with injuries but the quality of the opposition we have played since he came Wigan, Wimbledon, Northampton, Shrewsbury and to a lesser extent Plymouth and the performances in those games have been abysmal. We are doing things differently under LJ and long term when players return from injury we may well be better off because of it but I cant for the life of me see how the performances in those games are any better than what we have seen previously. We have looked vulnerable to conceding in all of those games when under Parkinson it was often dull but we weren't as flaky.

Depends what you’re asking him to do with it. Im not asking him to win the CL without additions. I’m asking him to improve results and performances. Nothing more nothing less.
We’re a kick in the arse from the playoffs. If he’s better at his job than the last feller then he won’t need additions to get there. If he does need additions then he’s no better at his job than the last ejector seat encumbent. If that’s the case then why appoint him? Why turn the war chest ower to someone who is no better than the last bloke?
A young hungry Reid would have this lot promoted and he was no Clough, Shankly, Paisley, Stein, Ramsey, Nicholson, Fergie, Revie, Wenger, Pep, Klopp, Nicholson, Jose etc etc

Once? If that's true I'd be surprised but fair enough if you've seen the stats. My main impression was he was the one getting back in front of the defence and trying to break down their attacks. Maybe he just won the ball in a few key moments and didn't do much else. I am shocked that he only touched the ball once though.
I quite like his energetic and hustling style but he went a bit awol for a spell after the break. That said, when he does get into advanced shooting positions his finishing is atrocious. I'd play Leadbitter ahead of him, as in spite of his heavy byuts, he's got a shot on him.

Who so you think can or could improve their game cos I'm struggling to think of a single one tbh

Yes - I think under Parkinson Flanagan, Willis and Wright were all pretty good and we didn't lose one single game out of 20 when all 3 played in the same team. Wright can certainly improve. Diamond has raw qualities and will improve with good coaching and the more regular game down he is now getting. This current squad does lack cutting edge. The last manager tried to counter that by making us defensively sound to counteract our lack of goals. This manager is making us more vulnerable defensively and trying to give us more chance of scoring goals. You pay your money you take your choice.
Depends what you’re asking him to do with it. Im not asking him to win the CL without additions. I’m asking him to improve results and performances. Nothing more nothing less.
We’re a kick in the arse from the playoffs. If he’s better at his job than the last feller then he won’t need additions to get there. If he does need additions then he’s no better at his job than the last ejector seat encumbent. If that’s the case then why appoint him? Why turn the war chest ower to someone who is no better than the last bloke?
A young hungry Reid would have this lot promoted and he was no Clough, Shankly, Paisley, Stein, Ramsey, Nicholson, Fergie, Revie, Wenger, Pep, Klopp, Nicholson, Jose etc etc

Excellent posts - you cant slag the last bloke off as being utterly hopeless at not being able to get these players at the top of the league and then not expect the new bloke to be able to make positive improvements with the same players. The injuries to some of our better players is genuine mitigation but what we are seeing at the moment is as shite as it has ever been.

Last edited:
Yes - I think under Parkinson Flanagan, Willis and Wright were all pretty good and we didn't lose one single game out of 20 when all 3 played in the same team. Wright can certainly improve. Diamond has raw qualities and will improve with good coaching and the more regular game down he is now getting. This current squad does lack cutting edge. The last manager tried to counter that by making us defensively sound to counteract our lack of goals. This manager is making us more vulnerable defensively and trying to give us more chance of scoring goals. You pay your money you take your choice.
Spot on. However, I fail to understand why we've become more vulnerable defensively. It's not as if Wright, McFadzean, Willis and Power are going off on marauding runs upfield and leaving us exposed. Power would seem to be the only one capable of actually creating a modicum of danger when pressing forward.

Back