No Fans in the Bundesliga until 2021

Strange also given the fan owned model in Germany
I'd be interested to hear about what their fans think. German football fans are big on protecting their fan culture and all work together for their common cause. Playing matches behind closed doors appears to be miles off their tradition, especially if it is money orientated.

In the top leagues with the TV money they can get away with it. How will it work lower down where they depend on gate receipts

I suspect most fans, like here, want to see the season resolved fairly, if possible...
However, it's becoming pretty obvious that this is such an exceptional circumstance, those possibilities are rapidly approaching zero.

Behind closed doors sounds like a half-decent attempt at a fair resolution to a season, but it still feels like it's putting sport on a pedestal above the rest of society's rules. That sticks in the throat a little.
If you think the UK govt don’t want PL football back on the telly and behind closed doors as soon as is safe then you’re insane.
I'm sure they do. What made you think otherwise? They also want us all back in work doing our jobs as soon as possible too.
But, if they relax any rules too soon, or set a bad example in sport that causes the rest of the public to change their attitudes, then the cost of that could far more catastrophic, and set us further back.

If they let football resume, then other sports might demand the same, then you have workers saying 'if it's ok for them, why not me, as I'm not interacting with the public any more than they are'... all that good work could be undone.

Last edited:
Matches without fans is pointless.

i accept for a very short time you could do this to maybe finish off a league but what is the point of starting a new season without fans.

Will the likes of Sky really be paying top dollar for games with fuck all atmosphere. ?

They televise plenty of arsenal games.

Yellow card and direct free kick if you come within 2 meters of an opposing player.

Breaks every 5 minutes to hand sanitise

All masks must be in club colours or FIFA will fine the club.

I'd be interested to hear about what their fans think. German football fans are big on protecting their fan culture and all work together for their common cause. Playing matches behind closed doors appears to be miles off their tradition, especially if it is money orientated.
I expect the ultras to fight this although how when they can't gather I don't know

We do grasp that, but the reason we are ALL sticking to the recommendations is to keep that peak demand as low as possible.
If some of us decide that our own actions won't make much of a difference, then it will ultimately still have some impact. It shouldn't be any different for a football team. We have 'necessary' exemptions, but is football a necessary exemption? I don't think so.

I'm amazed you assumed folks are too thick to understand.
Fair enough, but plenty seem to not grasp it - apologies to you if you do. Lots still seem to think this is about stopping players or fans from contracting it at any time, when it is not.

And the differences are that this is their job, not lads having a kick about as you termed it. In any industry, you can continue working as normal if working from home is not possible (although there is an argument about not being able to maintain social distancing).

In the coming weeks and months bit by bit life will have to return to normal, football will be one part of that at some stage in the UK. What Germany do is up to them I suppose

Matches without fans is pointless.

i accept for a very short time you could do this to maybe finish off a league but what is the point of starting a new season without fans.

Will the likes of Sky really be paying top dollar for games with fuck all atmosphere. ?
I would imagine so, as more people will want to view their games?

So consider this....

All PL to play at Stamford Bridge with its on site hotel, teams are allowed to name a 20 man playing squad and a 5 strong support staff. Each team are in lockdown in the aforementioned hotel with daily testing.

9 officials and a broadcast team to also be in 24/7 lockdown.

Teams can train on the pitch for an allotted time.

Then 3 games every other night kick off 5, 7 & 9pm.

Season could be finished in a few weeks.

I personally couldn’t give a shit about resuming football when there are nearly a 1000 dying every day recently.

Money will inevitably talk at some point though! And they will manage the risk to keep their pieces of eight.

So consider this....

All PL to play at Stamford Bridge with its on site hotel, teams are allowed to name a 20 man playing squad and a 5 strong support staff. Each team are in lockdown in the aforementioned hotel with daily testing.

I personally couldn’t give a shit about resuming football when there are nearly a 1000 dying every day recently.

Money will inevitably talk at some point though! And they will manage the risk to keep their pieces of eight.

Abramovic is letting NHS staff use the rooms FOC to cut down on their travelling.

They are, but they still have folks dying, albeit in lesser numbers.
I think football should be setting an example rather than looking for almost any excuse to resume as soon as possible. I just can't help but feel it's all ultimately driven by money - but that's just my take on the motive for this. Same with the idea of having horse racing behind closed doors, and was the same with F1 initially thinking they were an exception to the rule.

Aye, but we are making whole swathes of workers expose themselves to much more risk - nurses and doctors (obviously), but also the police, care workers, warehouse workers, delivery workers, retail workers in those shops still open, bus drivers on those routes still running etc. etc. etc.

Given they play outside, are incredibly fit young athletes, can afford (or if not, should have provided) excellent testing facilities, and contract tracing - as long as the fuckers observe social distancing when not training or playing - should be pretty easy, should all mean that the risk to footballers from playing behind closed doors is actually quite low.

Not zero of course, and you'd best believe the authorities would be bricking it about the legal and PR implications if a player died. But I think its definitely worth debating whether they should.

The money implications should not be lightly dismissed either - we are talking a huge number of clubs folding if they can't honour broadcasting contracts - including, quite possibly our own - at all levels of the game (though the risk is greater even in this scenario for lower league clubs who also need gate money as a big part of their income). The legals of voiding the season for all concerned are really really sub-optimal.

I am leaning that they should have a go at it - for national morale too. Tbh, the hardest thing to overcome will be the fairness angle - if someone gets it and the whole club has to self-isolate then that could see teams being relegated/promoted on account of that. Honestly, can't see a solution to that angle.

So consider this....

They are - both the authorities and the Government - exploring a scenario very like this for the Premier League if we are still in lockdown during the summer. Though in their plans, they are looking at St.Georges Park Burton I think, somewhere in middle of nowhere, not central London.

The Government is worried about morale in that scenario and might pay off the broadcasters and make it free to air. Premier League only this is.

Think a number of League One and Two clubs will end up part time. Only England maintain a 4 and most of a 5th full time divisions.

Whatever happens the footballing landscape will look very different
In a weird way it may benefit us, if clubs collapse. As sad as it would be

They are - both the authorities and the Government - exploring a scenario very like this for the Premier League if we are still in lockdown during the summer. Though in their plans, they are looking at St.Georges Park Burton I think, somewhere in middle of nowhere, not central London.

The Government is worried about morale in that scenario and might pay off the broadcasters and make it free to air. Premier League only this is.
Would need more than the premiershite to bring my morale up in that scenario. Not even a similar cricket event for sky to show would cheer me up I don't think

Back