No Announcement

Not really sure why people need an announcement on how to board a train, or why the OP thinks it is a 'f***ing disgrace' that there hasn't been an announcement by the train companies.

Maybe they assume people will be capable of finding the station, finding the platform, queuing if necessary, taking their seat if reserved, hoping they find an unused one if they don't, standing if necessary, in a worst case scenario waiting for the next train.

It's what huge numbers of people up and down the country do every day from Monday to Friday, week in, week out.
Bit busier though this w/e. Think a lot of people who have reserved a seat are going to be slightly miffed if someone else is occupying their seat. Doubt that that would happen on a "normal" w/e.

Not really sure why people need an announcement on how to board a train, or why the OP thinks it is a 'f***ing disgrace' that there hasn't been an announcement by the train companies.

Maybe they assume people will be capable of finding the station, finding the platform, queuing if necessary, taking their seat if reserved, hoping they find an unused one if they don't, standing if necessary, in a worst case scenario waiting for the next train.

It's what huge numbers of people up and down the country do every day from Monday to Friday, week in, week out.

Cant argue with any of that

One time we were playing away at Reading and there was an England rugby match at Twickenham. Got to Clapham Junction, there was plenty of space on the platform but loads of people were arriving and the platform was becoming congested and overcrowded. When the train came in it was already fairly full, people pushed and shoved their way past me to get on and I couldn't get on . When the next train arrived the same thing was happening, I approached the guards van door and he said "You can't get on here mate". When I said what was happening he said "tough" and told me to talk to the platform staff. When I did the guy said "What do you expect me to do about it"? To which I replied "try closing the f****ng platform and holding people outside so that those of us who were here first can get on the f****ng train", and walked off down the platform. Finally managed to get on the next train that arrived/

Bit busier though this w/e. Think a lot of people who have reserved a seat are going to be slightly miffed if someone else is occupying their seat. Doubt that that would happen on a "normal" w/e.

On average I would say it happens to me once a week.

There is a chance that all seat reservations will be cancelled on 'safety grounds' - it's in the 'small print' - I've seen it happen before on busy trains - most recently there was 'no coach G' so they cancelled all seat reservations! Overselling should be illegal

There is a chance that all seat reservations will be cancelled on 'safety grounds' - it's in the 'small print' - I've seen it happen before on busy trains - most recently there was 'no coach G' so they cancelled all seat reservations! Overselling should be illegal
There would be hell on. I'd be gobsmacked if they did that. They'd have to refund people

Grand Central were a joke. Booked early through Trainline but no seats which I thought was strange. Found out weeks ago they had massively over booked, hence the emails coming out now saying they have done exactly that. It’s a f***ing mess.

I cancelled mine and booked them direct with LNER for a little bit more but ended up in 1st class with seating there and back.

Wanted to travel from Sunderland as well, shame it looks like they have totally messed this up.

Surely that's just a generic 'Sunday' rather than specific to this weekend? I can't imagine the Sunday am trains are going to be empty!

There would be hell on. I'd be gobsmacked if they did that. They'd have to refund people

Sadly they don't have to - and they will almost certainly on the busiest trains - they point to overcrowding like it's not their fault and simply don't put the reservation tabs out. Turns out the seat reservations are complimentary for a reason, they aren't part of the conditions of sale. It's different in first class where I believe they are included.

Whilst it’s easy to take the piss, there are obviously some people that aren’t used to using the trains or travelling around London.

I’ll admit that I’ve found some of the queries on here funny/baffling but we have to remember that we’re talking about fellow SAFC supporters that are just after a bit of help.
Agreed. We're on the SMB, mind, so some piss taking is part of the deal

Then what would happen to people who bought reserved tickets simply because there not able to stand for the whole journey, (Sensible replies) ive a mate who's taking his in law with him and he's 82.....

Completely impractical that though isn't it? Someone who has an anytime return could travel on any train in a month. So are you suggesting the train companies should assume that that person would be on every single train over the course of a month? Trains would all be deserted and the train companies would all go bust overnight.

Back