No admirer of refs but get this for snowflake players

players And managers constantly slamming them. It’s about time referees started giving it back imo

Only captains should be allowed to speak to a referee. It should be mic’Ed up for TV and they should address the crowd after a VAR decision

I think refs having opinions about how teams or players are performing is very dangerous as it will impact their decision making.

I've watched loads of games (many involving us but plenty that don't) where the referee has clearly decided that one team is trying to play football and the other team aren't so he's pretty much awarded every decision to one team.

They need to put all of that out of their minds and just referee each incident in isolation.

It’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. They ARE in the relegation zone, and the fact they’re in the relegation zone won’t affect his decisions for or against that team...

Depends to be honest. If Goslings gone up ranting at him telling him he's having a shit game and he's responded "your teams having one" then, although really he should book him for dissent, I don't see an issue - Gosling shouldnt be twisting on in the first place and shouldnt be complaining when the same sort of stuff is thrown back at him.

You still have to be professional though, that's the whole point of referees. Once they start losing that and dishing out their own "banter" then they lose any respect they should have. They are there to umpire the match, nothing more. They can banter all they like after the game. You don't get boxing refs laughing at boxers and telling them they are getting kicked to fuck, even if one fighter is complaining about something.

^ That doesn't mean they cannot have some banter and a laugh with players mind. Just have to be objective and professional about it all.

The modern day excuse for acting like a dick
No its banter, football is a emotional game players have a go at refs, refs have a little dig back, end of story
Totally agree with Bournemouth here. Referees have to be completely objective and can’t be making personal comments on pitch.

they’re the first to spit their dummies out when they want respect. It works both ways

Link?
Listen to the radio, clinton Morrison was talking about it and Danny Murphy

Last edited:
It's probably not right. However, players wittering on about a ref having zero respect is a bit rich. Players rarely give refs any respect. Whether they deserve any, or not, is another matter entirely.

Gosling must have had to run up to Moss to hear his comments like as I haven’t seen Moss keep up with play for the last 3 years the fat fuck !
No way can he be fit enough to referee.

They should mic the ref's up and release all the dialogue with the players. I've got a feeling some of the players would be embarrassed.

He shouldn't really make these type of comments as it's unprofessional but the way players go on it comes across as hypercritical and petty tbh. I can also see a major crackdown players abusing or showing any dissent towards the ref's.

I think refs having opinions about how teams or players are performing is very dangerous as it will impact their decision making.

I've watched loads of games (many involving us but plenty that don't) where the referee has clearly decided that one team is trying to play football and the other team aren't so he's pretty much awarded every decision to one team.

They need to put all of that out of their minds and just referee each incident in isolation.

Play against one of the teams going for the title and every decision will go their way.

The big clubs like Liverpool, Man Utd seem to have every foul given against them given but are given benefit of the doubt when committing fouls.

story from years ago, that a centre forward was having a go at the referee and at the end said, "call yourself a referee". a short while later that same centre forward misses a sitter and the ref said to the player "call yourself a centre forward"

apparently they both laughed about it after the game and it was recorded in one of their books after they retired.

You still have to be professional though, that's the whole point of referees. Once they start losing that and dishing out their own "banter" then they lose any respect they should have. They are there to umpire the match, nothing more. They can banter all they like after the game. You don't get boxing refs laughing at boxers and telling them they are getting kicked to fuck, even if one fighter is complaining about something.

^ That doesn't mean they cannot have some banter and a laugh with players mind. Just have to be objective and professional about it all.
You’re probably right I just think it’s a bit rich how footballers go on with referees then start crying the second he makes some very bland comment back at him. They take far worse. Can’t stand the majority of modern footballers. Entitled little pricks for the most part.

You’re probably right I just think it’s a bit rich how footballers go on with referees then start crying the second he makes some very bland comment back at him. They take far worse. Can’t stand the majority of modern footballers. Entitled little pricks for the most part.

Yeah makes it a very hard job. Have to stand there whilst these millionaire pricks scream at you and you just have to sit and take it. Mind I bet some of them get their own back in other ways, like letting bad tackles go etc. Be hard not to tbf.

Yet no mention of what any Bournemouth players said to him throughout the game. Maybe he needs to reflect on why his side threw away a winning position with late goals in each half, one of them from a regulation corner.

He would have needed counselling if he was around when Jack Taylor and Clive Thomas were refereeing. When players swore, they swore back. Diving? "Get up and f***ing get on with it, Dan."

Last edited:
story from years ago, that a centre forward was having a go at the referee and at the end said, "call yourself a referee". a short while later that same centre forward misses a sitter and the ref said to the player "call yourself a centre forward"

apparently they both laughed about it after the game and it was recorded in one of their books after they retired.
This reminds me of an old ref who I was friendly with - and a brilliant ref he was too: Neil Midgley, reffed for a long while in the top flight and was popular with the players. Different times but he used to " give it back" to the players.
He told me that if a player called him a c***, he would simply run past him and call him a c*** too, rather than book him or send him off. He was always talking on the pitch.
He reffed with a smile on his face but was never a pushover and the players respected him. Don't know if he was the ref in your centre forward story...but it sounds so like him.

It's a strange one as at what point does banter cross the line? The ref is commenting on the league position Bournemouth are in. If Eddie Howe comes out after the match at says the referee isn't competent enough to officiate at that level he could get a FA warning for bringing the game into disrepute.
Either refs shouldn't comment on teams league position or its open season for all and sundry to be critisied

Back