Nissan

Yes mate so I’m told but it’s convinent that we are now not the best Nissan plant given all that’s going on with brexit and the the two best plants have agreed to a no pay negotiations till 2020 and are both in the eu
How is it convenient? If Nissan were looking for excuses to run Sunderland down brexit would be perfect - just wait until the inevitable disruption and tariffs on car sales then make an announcement that the plant is unsustainable.

All this shows is the bravado that Nissan Sunderland's future is secure because of the plants efficiency is misplaced.

The announcement was there will be no pay rise next year. Apparently Sunderland is no longer the most competitive Nissan plant anymore (it's down to 6th place) meaning new lines will no longer go there automatically. The move is to try and make the plant competitive again.

Source - lass at work whose husband works there and has just rang her.

Sounds bad unless it's more scaremongering around pay negotiations time again. Hopefully something is sorted.

If I was a temp id be looking elsewhere asap. I remember the year they laid all 400 temps off at Xmas with the same line given about needing to remain competitive.

Sounds bad unless it's more scaremongering around pay negotiations time again. Hopefully something is sorted.

If I was a temp id be looking elsewhere asap. I remember the year they laid all 400 temps off at Xmas with the same line given about needing to remain competitive.
I wondered when "scaremongering" would come up.

There aren't going to be any pay negotiations.

I wondered when "scaremongering" would come up.

There aren't going to be any pay negotiations.
They've used the same line for years during pay negotiations, since at least 2004, probably before that aswell... This was when it was well known the plant was the most productive in Europe.

It's no surprise people will hear that saying and think here we go again.

How is it convenient? If Nissan were looking for excuses to run Sunderland down brexit would be perfect - just wait until the inevitable disruption and tariffs on car sales then make an announcement that the plant is unsustainable.

All this shows is the bravado that Nissan Sunderland's future is secure because of the plants efficiency is misplaced.
It’s convenient giving the time it’s happening all of a sudden now brexits coming in and they aren’t getting there own way with the government 2 plants which are in the eu regardless are now the best 2 plants in the alliance and now have the capabilities to run qashqui and Juke down there lines.

In all honestly it has this feel about it now at this moment in time which is really sad.

at work now, rumours like wildfire that line 1 trim going down to 2 shifts, anybody else heard out.

Nissan meeting Macron last week ... french are trying to get them (an others) to bail on UK post brexit...

is this shift change not a precursor to anticipated supply issues?

Brexit isn't looking so rosy for all the Nissan turkeys that voted for Xmas now is it.

I'd hate to be a temp at our place as things stand. Rumours that fly round have a habit of coming true.

I honestly believe that there are posters on here that would congratulate themselves if Nissan closed the Sunderland plant.
What a bunch of sad wankers
Aye, all those who are against brexit because of the damage it it would do to Nissan would actually be pleased if it did close. :rolleyes:

They've used the same line for years during pay negotiations, since at least 2004, probably before that aswell... This was when it was well known the plant was the most productive in Europe.

It's no surprise people will hear that saying and think here we go again.
Had this for 31 years mate, you do think that.

:lol: Just finished my nightshift reading through this thread was like reliving my shift I’ve just had! Wait till u see the briefing! Threats, threats and more threats!
Got a lieu day in so have to wait until sunday night for the full crack

Last edited:
If we're outside the Customs Union and Single Market after Brexit then it's almost certain Nissan won't be building any new cars for the EU market. The main reason they're in the UK is for access to the EU, once that's gone then there is no reason to build cars in Sunderland unless it's for the UK market.

Anyone who doubts this is a fool.

Got to be honest, thought it was worse news than that but i personally was expecting a payfreeze for 2 years,
As a longtermer you do get cynical about the doom and gloom as a precurser to the paynegs and what happens when peter cries wolf is neebody believes you. As for leaving the uk. Well. You all know that they have ploughed about 3 billion in investment into the plant, 120 million paint plant coming on line now. My shop is getting fitted out for the next 2 models as we speak now. the new supplier park adjacent to nissan under construction now. You cannot just walk away from that kind of investment imho, probably just had the best ten years of boom for the plant, i worked practically every saturday dayshift overtime for that boom time and its a kick in the f***ing bollocks when something which is none of the lads fault could have a impact on their jobs. Any government that lets the eu put tariffs on our cars and lets theirs roll in tariff free should be hung, drawn and quartered. Just my opinion on this mind.

Last edited:
Any government that lets the eu put tariffs on our cars and lets theirs roll in tariff free should be hung, drawn and quartered. Just my opinion on this mind.
You do know it won't be the EU that puts tariffs on cars, it will be the WTO?

Regardless of that, I assume that means you think the government should cancel brexit or at the very least keep us in the customs union?

You do know it won't be the EU that puts tariffs on cars, it will be the WTO?

Regardless of that, I assume that means you think the government should cancel brexit or at the very least keep us in the customs union?
I am not a political animal and don’t give a fuck who is putting the tariffs on, All i want is for whoever is in power to fight like a tiger to protect every single uk job

If we're outside the Customs Union and Single Market after Brexit then it's almost certain Nissan won't be building any new cars for the EU market. The main reason they're in the UK is for access to the EU, once that's gone then there is no reason to build cars in Sunderland unless it's for the UK market.

Anyone who doubts this is a fool.
Well i think that you should send a letter to them as the next 3 models are in the pipeline and getting tooling in place now for the next 2. As we speak.

Last edited:
I am not a political animal and don’t give a fuck who is putting the tariffs on, All i want is for whoever is in power to fight like a tiger to protect every single uk job
So cancel brexit then?

Well i think that you should send a letter to them as the next 3 models are in the pipeline and getting tooling in place now for the next 2. As we speak.
So have the next two models been awarded?

So cancel brexit then?

So have the next two models been awarded?
Look pal, your angling for a argument about brexit, fuck off, not interested. Next 3 models have been allocated to the plant.

Sales of rubber bed sheets and mattress covers about to soar.;)
f***ing hell, just noticed red ken has chipped in with his shite. Fuck off.

Last edited:
I'm not angling for an argument at all, I'm just wanting to see what the feeling is about brexit from someone who works at Nissan.

So to be clear, are these models not currently built at the plant?
2 are current model replacement. Other new xtrail.

Back