Nissan

Not that easy mate when Nissan announced yesterday that a no deal brexit will add 3% to all imported parts via the EU and 10% to all vehicles exported to the EU. That's 80% of all vehicles built in Sunderland, if that happens the plant is unsustainable.
So what your saying is that the brief said that the plant will close in the result of a no deal brexit?

So what your saying is that the brief said that the plant will close in the result of a no deal brexit?

It won’t close under a no deal scenario, however we are likely to see job losses across the plant/supply chain. The question is: could the T&W jobs market manage say 3000-5000 people suddenly out of work?

The sad reality is; within Nissans BCP, they will already had plans to move operations if the shit hits the fan. I’d be shocked if they needed more than three months notice as well (not to shut the plant, but start the process of moving it)

Can I ask one of the lads who work there what it is that makes the Sunderland plant so productive against other plants?

I've worked a lot on LEAN processes in my job and alot of the prodictivity gains are through tweaks in the production methods and automation. That percentage of productivity at Sunderland is process driven against workers through put.

I stuggle from the outside to see how in a industry such as car manafacturing which are the leaders in this area cannot transfer the LEAN processes etc to another plant.

I read in the Guardian the other day that if the line is down for something like more than six minutes a day they loose money. Is it that the Sunderland lads make less mistakes?

I don't mean this is a insult to anyone who works there, i'm just interested.

It won’t close under a no deal scenario, however we are likely to see job losses across the plant/supply chain. The question is: could the T&W jobs market manage say 3000-5000 people suddenly out of work?

The sad reality is; within Nissans BCP, they will already had plans to move operations if the shit hits the fan. I’d be shocked if they needed more than three months notice as well (not to shut the plant, but start the process of moving it)
I’m not saying I don’t expect job losses I’m saying that brexit isn’t the reason the whole emissions and not being able to sell the cars we make is the problem here not brexit.

Can I ask one of the lads who work there what it is that makes the Sunderland plant so productive against other plants?

I've worked a lot on LEAN processes in my job and alot of the prodictivity gains are through tweaks in the production methods and automation. That percentage of productivity at Sunderland is process driven against workers through put.

I stuggle from the outside to see how in a industry such as car manafacturing which are the leaders in this area cannot transfer the LEAN processes etc to another plant.

I read in the Guardian the other day that if the line is down for something like more than six minutes a day they loose money. Is it that the Sunderland lads make less mistakes?

I was interested in this, as struggle to see how this would be a key factor. As surely this is all stuff that is transferrable with investment.

Key reason it won't just be closed if Brexit goes down a no deal is the investment in place already imo, but there will no doubt be quite sudden changes. Long term, who knows.....but I'd be shocked if the country sit back and watch these sort of manufacturers walk away. These are the really big companies with significant influence. Hope it does work out for the area though.

The investment in Sunderland has been nowt compared to what's gone into the Renault plants in the last 5 years.
Ok well I’ve no idea what investment has gone into Renault plants as no one has said it up until yesterday (conveniently), soiask what investment has gone into them that now makes them so good?

No they won’t the man staff will! They said they are looking at ways to secure the future of the plant that in the worse case scenario of a no deal brexit we remain competitive.
I would love to know how when everything built in Sunderland will cost 13% more than any other plant in the internal market.

In a nutshell, less people making more cars, although that creates allsorts of issues.

You're exactly right. 10 years ago Sunderland was better in terms of processes and product flow.
Other plants have basically copied the standard and improved it with new technology.

I’m not saying I don’t expect job losses I’m saying that brexit isn’t the reason the whole emissions and not being able to sell the cars we make is the problem here not brexit.

Mate, I agree that there are lots of reasons why the car industry is struggling in the UK. That said, however, people need to start to see what a disaster a no deal Brexit would be for places like T&W.

I know Nissan have invested quite a bit of money recently in the Sunderland plant, but if profits are hit, they won’t think twice about cutting operations.

No matter how people voted, people need to start challenging the Tory Government, who at present are making a total mess of things.

I would love to know how when everything built in Sunderland will cost 13% more than any other plant in the internal market.
Because we will still be the best, better than the other plants at what we produce, the reason they’re saying we’re not as cost effective anymore is the rate of pay the man staff get to other plants in the alliance, well so they say, no one really knows including myself this is literally just what my thoughts are on it all

I was interested in this, as struggle to see how this would be a key factor. As surely this is all stuff that is transferrable with investment.

Key reason it won't just be closed if Brexit goes down a no deal is the investment in place already imo, but there will no doubt be quite sudden changes. Long term, who knows.....but I'd be shocked if the country sit back and watch these sort of manufacturers walk away. These are the really big companies with significant influence. Hope it does work out for the area though.

The thing is mate, do you believe a Tory Government will care about the labour stronghold that is T&W? They might rush to save a plant in a marginal constituency but not up here.

Mate, I agree that there are lots of reasons why the car industry is struggling in the UK. That said, however, people need to start to see what a disaster a no deal Brexit would be for places like T&W.

I know Nissan have invested quite a bit of money recently in the Sunderland plant, but if profits are hit, they won’t think twice about cutting operations.

No matter how people voted, people need to start challenging the Tory Government, who at present are making a total mess of things.
I really don’t know anything about politics or want to from what I gather from it all is they (Nissan) when brexit first got voted for got a deal struck so that they’d wave the %tax they’d pay to ship there cars to the eu now they government are saying they won’t, do Nissan are now in a huff and in true Nissan fashion threating the government which they done last week and yesterday imo they dropped the bollock by threating us the man staff by basically saying in the event of a no deal brexit the terms and condition on everything the man staff get paid ie rate of pay, overtime, pension, shift allowance even working hours

I’ll be honest I didn’t vote I’ve never voted in my life and probably never will, my thoughts are just trunky based on Nissan and the fact I’m a part of nissans man staff. My opinions are that brexit will have no effect on the production at NMUK it’s the whole emissions and poor management planning on it all that’s got us in the whole. They’re now using the brexit thing to threaten the man staff coz of there mistakes with the emissions thing by making 2 plants in the eu better than us and capable now of running our 2 biggest cars we produce, just so if it is a no deal brexit they can make us work for peanuts for the foreseeable future. Thus resulting in us producing the top cars we produce at a cut cost to them.

Yes read every post, I dont need to work there mate, if/when it goes tits up it has the potential to sink many businesses in Sunderland as very few are flush and take the wages of nigh on 20k people out of the local economy and it will tip many over the edge. We are all effected when the cities biggest employer leaves. Nissan workers voting for Brexit is about as clever as the 1980s miners voting Thatcher.

FFS, keep your opinions on Brexit for the political forum.

You're just carrying on where WHD left off!

The thing is mate, do you believe a Tory Government will care about the labour stronghold that is T&W? They might rush to save a plant in a marginal constituency but not up here.
Tbh I don't know, but this isn't a few hundred workers like I think we've seen with steel (I may be way out).

Was it not under a Tory government that nissan came?

Back