Nissan suspends production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanbàn!
our EU negotiators should try the same approach! Then walk away if they dont give us a deal "just in time"

A certain Oil and Gas equipment manufacturer was hit back in 2015 with a similar data fabrication case. A QA Manager and 5 Inspectors ended up being sacked. A good job was made of keeping it out of the press whilst they sorted out the resultant issues with oil and gas regulators.

I also know of two Uni. cases where in each case a PhD student fabricated data because they couldn't get their equipment (case 1) / computer program (case 2) working. Sometime after they left and they had long since been awarded their degrees, it was found the data had been fabricated on the basis of what the students thought the outcomes should be. In the case of the computer program, the program output the same data regardless of the inputs. A small piece of code generated the data the student wanted so he could get his degree,

The Unis. (possibly Portsmouth and Newcastle - unconfirmed) decided not to revoke the students' PhDs to avoid adverse publicity.

It makes you wonder how rife and widespread data fabrication is out there in all spheres.

I've seen some bizarre documentation 'lies'. I am in the middle of a 'situation'at the moment where an engineer thinks we don't have to inspect our substructure as 'API IV doesn't apply to offshore substructures'.
Incredibly, at first glance he appears to be correct. There will be more to it than he thinks.

I've seen some bizarre documentation 'lies'. I am in the middle of a 'situation'at the moment where an engineer thinks we don't have to inspect our substructure as 'API IV doesn't apply to offshore substructures'.
Incredibly, at first glance he appears to be correct. There will be more to it than he thinks.

You can bet there's another API standard that does cover offshore structures. Dangerous.

@Dave Herbal, how often have you came across fabricated records?
Quite a bit actually. Anything that comes out of China is viewed with suspicion, unless it’s had a Western inspector on the job. Many companies simply won’t source from China now. I also know of at least 2 north eastern companies who’ve deliberately falsified safety critical material certs as well.
It’s a piece of piss to do if there’s no third party inspection. There’s also scope to modify results on anything that’s based on human observation that you can “squint” at.

Quite a bit actually. Anything that comes out of China is viewed with suspicion, unless it’s had a Western inspector on the job. Many companies simply won’t source from China now. I also know of at least 2 north eastern companies who’ve deliberately falsified safety critical material certs as well.
It’s a piece of piss to do if there’s no third party inspection. There’s also scope to modify results on anything that’s based on human observation that you can “squint” at.

Too true Dave.
Far Eastern steel, whether carbon, stainless or exotics like cunifer/duplex etc are absolute shite.
I have been on 2 Korean built drill ships, and the quality of the stainless steel pipework (for hydraulics) is shocking, and the seawater systems valve seats that are supposed to be up to the job simply disintegrated after less than a year in service.

China is still churning out this shite, and it looks like the Japs have joined them.

Nothing to do with the steel, its about the Inspection procedures. All inspection staff have to be certified and are issued with stamps, looks like non certified staff have been involved in the inspetion process (possibly wheel alignment).

Nothing to do with the steel, its about the Inspection procedures. All inspection staff have to be certified and are issued with stamps, looks like non certified staff have been involved in the inspetion process (possibly wheel alignment).
Yes, on this occasion. But is this indicative of the wheels coming off (pardon the pun) Japs reputation for bulletproof quality?

I sed to be involved in the production of pressure vessels for LPG ship transportation - Lloyds were involved from opening the boxes of materials form suppliers to washing and packing the finished vessels, everything stamped up and certified - unless Lloyds or similar are involved, you're simply hoping for the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back