Nissan closing Barcelona Factory

Interesting article. There was a briefing on the employee Nissan insider app from the CEO a few weeks back saying they were looking at how best to utilise the company’s capacity which was 2 million units above what was needed before the current crisis. Apparently there’s meant to be an announcement about restructuring worldwide on the 28th May. It’s pure speculation on my part but I have heard a few things that longer term could tie in with us building Renaults .
Reading that article, you are correct. UK plant will build Renaults for the UK market. We have a capacity of 500 000 and build 320 000.

Nissan is in talks to shift production of two Renault models from Spain to its Sunderland plant, securing thousands of British manufacturing jobs and signalling the Japanese carmaker’s long-term commitment to the UK’s largest car factory. The Japanese and French groups are discussing moving production of the Renault Kadjar and Captur models as part of a global overhaul of operations to be announced this month, according to two people familiar with the talks. The future of Sunderland had been thrown into doubt following Britain's vote to leave the EU, with Nissan warning that tariffs with Europe would put the model of exporting from the UK “in jeopardy”. The Japanese carmaker is preparing to cut a fifth of its global production capacity and reshuffle its manufacturing operations to stem a profit drain that has been accelerated by the coronavirus crisis, according to three people familiar with the matter. Nissan and Renault declined to comment.
The Captur and Kadjar aren't made at Nissan Spain. Or a meringue?

Wonder if they will be any repercussions.

Spain has massive unemployment and if they're closing a factory in Barcelona and allowing tax free imports from the UK, there will be a few questions asked.

Spain is part of the EU and (I've been told ) they are very big on workers rights and they will certainly look after Spain.

It is still at significant risk. This is almost a rescue plan. That's how bad things are. It could still fall flat
This, Nissan as all car makers are in the crap big style. Hopefully NMUK can ride out this storm.
Reading that article, you are correct. UK plant will build Renaults for the UK market. We have a capacity of 500 000 and build 320 000.
The actual capacity is nearer 600000. The record production year is about 520000 units but that was with line 2 not running 3 shifts for the full year.
Captur, Juke, Kadjar, Qashqai.

I reckon Leaf will go elsewhere.
Not necessarily, depends on how quickly demand recovers. Then again Leaf may not even be a model we build in the future when you take into account that all models will end up with a fully electric at some point.
The Captur and Kadjar aren't made at Nissan Spain. Or a meringue?
No they’re built in Renault plants currently.

Last edited:
On the politics board perhaps.
I really hope that this comes to reality as a couple of years ago their was a thread on the politics forum that rumbled on for weeks about turkeys voting for xmas and trying to denigrate the workers at nmuk for voting yes to brexit etc,etc, etc. They just shouted down everybody who disagreed with their views, am sure muffin man and whd were the ringleaders. anyway regardless of the vote most of the accusations of turkey’s voting for xmas was f***ing bullshit,as in my 32 years there,most of the squads I was in lived outside of sunderland.

Back