Nirvana’s MTV Unplugged

In Utero sold 15m copies man :lol:
So half as many as Nevermind then? Only half the people who heard Nevermind bothered to buy the follow up. That’s quite disappointing don’t you think? Look, I’m not casting doubt on their significance in popularising grunge. All I’m saying is that they have become more of cultural icon than a musical one. I bet they’ve sold more T shirts than albums.

The man who sold the world is an all time classic and done beautifully by nirvana

Song was originally about people who don’t quite belong and the track fit in perfectly with the other songs about social misfits in Bowie’s original album

The lead singer of nirvana was something of a social misfit himself and of course topped himself very tragically

I’m assuming all the madmen on Bowie’s album was about Bowie’s brother who spent time At cane hill mental hospital in London

Last edited:
No, he wasn’t.

He was mind. Absolute goon at school, shagged a fat lifter cos he couldn't get anyone else to fuck him and almost had a breakdown just cos Courtney thought about cheating on him.

Struggled massively with just about every single aspect of life. So blew his brains out.

Great writer mind.

Couldn’t handle fame, being a parent, people, life, everything’s a massive f***ing pain in the arse and I’m a special snowflake.

Bollocks.
He was mind. Absolute goon at school, shagged a fat lifter cos he couldn't get anyone else to fuck him and almost had a breakdown just cos Courtney thought about cheating on him.

Struggled massively with just about every single aspect of life. So blew his brains out.

Great writer mind.

He was a manic depressive, that’s not being weak that’s being very unwell.

Aye but that’s what I mean. Millions of people bought Nevermind - a lot of them just cos it was fashionable - but didn’t listen to anything else by them.
I know what you mean. Nirvana are in my top 5 bands ever, but if you asked *most* people to name 10 songs not on Nevermind (or even all the songs on Nevermind) they would struggle badly.

With every big band it doesn't last forever. They had also consciously moved away from the more commercial sound of Nevermind when they made In Utero, which didnt make waves like Nivermind did for that reason. The more they moved away from that sound the more they'd have faded in terms of appeal (to the masses).
Well you say that, but despite Unplugged being release posthumously, it's arguably a more accessible record than Nevermind.

His half a head stone?

I don’t think they did in the way you think though. Ask man in the street to name 3 nirvana songs and they probably can’t. I was the right age and demographic (student indie rock kid) at the time but I didn’t explore them beyond a taped copy of Nevermind. I’ve still never listened to Bleach or Incesticide.
Bleach is great. Incesticide - not so much. Sliver's mint though.

Last edited:

Back