Nirvana’s MTV Unplugged

Recorded 25 years ago today.

Just a brilliantly raw live performance.

Nirvana's MTV Unplugged at 25: fascinating facts about the landmark live show | CBC Radio
I remember watching it 'as live' on it's first broadcast, I also remember thinking it was vocally strained and ropey. I watched it again a few months later and realised how f***ing stupid I was. It actually taught me to never jump to immediate conclusions like that again. It's a specific time and place masterpiece.

That moment towards the end of how do you sleep.....
There's loads. The track listing itself and the arrangements, all so f***ing personal. Kurt properly knew music, he really understood it. It was everything else he struggled with. I don't mean to come across as a smitten fan boy, I'm not at all. I can't remember the last time I played a Nirvana song on purpose. The album is just one of those perfect recordings.

There's a superb documentary about Nirvana and College Radio that was on BBC4 a while back which digs info this performance heavily. Michael Stipe was close with Cobain at the time and felt strongly that their forthcoming collaboration was a way out for KB, sadly not to be of course. Also includes Dave Ghrol saying he would rather KB had not died even if that meant he ever experienced the future he has with Foo Fighters etc which was very powerful. The whole programme is loaded with pathos, incredibly urgent and earnest. Almost a sense that they're trying to stop it from happening. Really remarkable telly.

There's a superb documentary about Nirvana and College Radio that was on BBC4 a while back which digs info this performance heavily. Michael Stipe was close with Cobain at the time and felt strongly that their forthcoming collaboration was a way out for KB, sadly not to be of course. Also includes Dave Ghrol saying he would rather KB had not died even if that meant he ever experienced the future he has with Foo Fighters etc which was very powerful. The whole programme is loaded with pathos, incredibly urgent and earnest. Almost a sense that they're trying to stop it from happening. Really remarkable telly.

Yeah I watched that... was that the bleach documentary?

Dave Ghrol must be one of the most honest and grounded rock guys out there.

I bet truly it was truly horrific watching the who thing unfold.

Smacks a bitch...

KB?

This one??

Back