Nintendo DS - advice on buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

gringo purves

Midfield
Alreet oh wise owls of the SMB.
Purves Jr. wants one of these fangled DS contraptions for Christmas and I've started looking into it, but there seems to be a few models about.
Whats the difference between an 'old' one and these new DSis? Or the lite version? Had a look on Wiki and started glazing over on the second line.
So what should I be looking for fer a 6 year old?
Over to you...

Alreet oh wise owls of the SMB.
Purves Jr. wants one of these fangled DS contraptions for Christmas and I've started looking into it, but there seems to be a few models about.
Whats the difference between an 'old' one and these new DSis? Or the lite version? Had a look on Wiki and started glazing over on the second line.
So what should I be looking for fer a 6 year old?
Over to you...

get a DSi not sure of you can even get the older ones now

little miss shinton is 5 and has one (she had a DS lite but left in a plane home from florida:oops:, you can usually get bundles with a couple of games etc from argos for about 100 notes

you can also get a r4 card and download the games*

*obviously not endorsing pirating i mean home brewed games, applications and photos/movies, ahem;)

DSi definately rather than the older one. As Shilton said get an R4 card, they are ideal, not that id know like just what ive heard :)

And a R4 card is...?
Just looking on Argos, seems the DSI is just the same but with loads of fiddly bits he won't use and a larger screen? Anytihng else I'm missing out on?

And a R4 card is...?
Just looking on Argos, seems the DSI is just the same but with loads of fiddly bits he won't use and a larger screen? Anytihng else I'm missing out on?

theres a camera in it, when you take pics they can edit them to stretch your features etc. My son used the camera more than the games for a while :lol: Also the battery life is much better

R4 card is like a game disc thing but you can download/upload games, photos, files, videos etc off the internet for nowt and use them on your ds rather than buying loads of games that you dunno if the bairn will like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lite is the one I use most at work, the Originals are grotty things. DSi's are pretty good, avoid the XL as it's the same thing but only for blind kids. Or wait until the 3D comes out...

3DS might be out before Christmas so don't buy a DSi just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back