Nikon Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
For an amateur like me would a Nikon VR lens be much more advantageous than the standard ED lens?

Or would it be worth coughing up that bit more for a VR? What does the VR lens have that reduces vibration?

Ta

Depends on a few things (which lens, what you're going to use it for, being the main ones). VR is done through clever jiggery-pokery with tiny motors that act against the effect of camera shake. Can be very handy for longer lenses used hand held and can easily give you two or three more stops of "handholdability", but no use if your subject is moving. Basically allows you to reduce the times you need to bring a tripod with you.

That's the standard kit lens which benefits a lot from VR because it doesn't have a very large maximum aperture. It's a cheap lens but OK as a starting point. But there isn't a version of that lens without VR so I'm not sure what you're comparing it with.

That's the standard kit lens which benefits a lot from VR because it doesn't have a very large maximum aperture. It's a cheap lens but OK as a starting point. But there isn't a version of that lens without VR so I'm not sure what you're comparing it with.

This is the one..

NIKON D3300 DSLR Camera with 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 II ED Zoom Lens

Cant post the link but currys are selling it with the D3300.

will take a look - think they've changed their lens line up possibly

I was confused because I didn't think they still did the non-VR version of that lens, but I was wrong, they do. I'd avoid it if I were you, and spend the little bit more for the much newer VR II version.

Alternatively buy from here (via Hong Kong) and save yourself a few quid (like I did):

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/nikon-d3300-kit-with-18/MTEwMzA3Mg_A_A

Hope the above makes sense, my posts were merged. If so just ignore the first line!

Last edited:
will take a look - think they've changed their lens line up possibly

I was confused because I didn't think they still did the non-VR version of that lens, but I was wrong, they do. I'd avoid it if I were you, and spend the little bit more for the much newer VR II version.

Alternatively buy from here (via Hong Kong) and save yourself a few quid (like I did):

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/nikon-d3300-kit-with-18/MTEwMzA3Mg_A_A

Hope the above makes sense, my posts were merged. If so just ignore the first line!

Thats great cheers mate.

I suspected the VR would be the way to go but was very pricy and out of stock everywhere.

Thanks for link... might just go for that then. 3-6 days delivery?

Thats great cheers mate.

I suspected the VR would be the way to go but was very pricy and out of stock everywhere.

Thanks for link... might just go for that then. 3-6 days delivery?
I bought all my Nikon stuff from Digital Review. My order was completely delivered in five or six days, but check the website for delivery times.

Mine actually took a bit longer as it got held up on the way into the country but other than that I had no problems and they even offered me an additional 5% discount for the delay. They have a good reputation. The only downside is that you don't get a standard Nikon UK warranty but they offer their own warranty instead. I guess you just need to decide if that's worth the price difference...it was for me.

Definitely get the VR version whatever you do. It's a newer design and more compact lens (you can shrink the lens down a bit when not in use, which is handy for storage and when its in a case) and the VR will reduce the number of blurred shots you get and/or allow you to use a lower ISO for better image quality.

Mine actually took a bit longer as it got held up on the way into the country but other than that I had no problems and they even offered me an additional 5% discount for the delay. They have a good reputation. The only downside is that you don't get a standard Nikon UK warranty but they offer their own warranty instead. I guess you just need to decide if that's worth the price difference...it was for me.

Definitely get the VR version whatever you do. It's a newer design and more compact lens (you can shrink the lens down a bit when not in use, which is handy for storage and when its in a case) and the VR will reduce the number of blurred shots you get and/or allow you to use a lower ISO for better image quality.

Have you got the same model? Gets brilliant reviews for an entry level DSLR mind.

Bought it for my son, and have just used it for a couple of weeks on hols (more me than him, TBH :)). Given how cheap it is, I was absolutely staggered by the image quality, even at high ISOs. It's really compact and light for a DSLR also. Can't go wrong IMO, unless you don't need a DSLR, in which case you might be better off with a quality compact. Personally prefer it with a prime lens attached though (eg the 35mm f1.8 or the 50mm f1.8), especially for portraits, but that adds to the cost considerably, and the 18-55 zoom is perfectly good to get going with.

Bought it for my son, and have just used it for a couple of weeks on hols (more me than him, TBH :)). Given how cheap it is, I was absolutely staggered by the image quality, even at high ISOs. It's really compact and light for a DSLR also. Can't go wrong IMO, unless you don't need a DSLR, in which case you might be better off with a quality compact. Personally prefer it with a prime lens attached though (eg the 35mm f1.8 or the 50mm f1.8), especially for portraits, but that adds to the cost considerably, and the 18-55 zoom is perfectly good to get going with.

I've had compacts and they just don't get me motivated to take nice photos.. a DSLR might be a better bet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back