Nikkor-Q lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

not spavin

Bit of a longshot, but...

Bought a Nikkor-Q 13.5cm 3.5 off Rocky, but it doesn't fit my D2X. It does fit my F601, and it physically fits on my D40 though the D40 cannot detect it.

Googled for ages last night, and it seems that I have to get the lens physically altered to make it fit the D2X. It's a pre-AI f-mount lens, as far as I can gather.

Does anyone happen to know if there's any standard adapter I could get instead? I would have thought it would be an easy thing to find, but have drew a blank.

Bit of a longshot, but...

Bought a Nikkor-Q 13.5cm 3.5 off Rocky, but it doesn't fit my D2X. It does fit my F601, and it physically fits on my D40 though the D40 cannot detect it.

Googled for ages last night, and it seems that I have to get the lens physically altered to make it fit the D2X. It's a pre-AI f-mount lens, as far as I can gather.

Does anyone happen to know if there's any standard adapter I could get instead? I would have thought it would be an easy thing to find, but have drew a blank.

Useful source on this (if you haven't already found it):

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

There is no adaptor, because the aperture ring sits a little closer on the AI mount - you basically have to remove some of it rather than add anything to it. Any adaptor (if such a thing existed) would move the lens further away which wouldn't work.

A long time ago, Nikon would convert these lenses to AI for a fee, but that service is long over. They produced specific kits for each lens which was basically a new aperture ring. There are a few people out there who still have a few of the kits and can do the conversions. Alternatively, there is a DIY way to convert them, by basically hacking off a certain amount of the aperture ring. Or there are other people who'll do it for you (for about £30 I think) eg:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AI-modificati...58603875?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item27aa2a0063

Might be easier just to stick it on Ebay and buy a newer AI version instead though (which is what I did when I had the same problem).

Last edited:
I know a bit about this, and possibly the best source of information is this:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

First of all you need to be careful not to damage your camera by trying to mount one of these pre-AI lenses on your D2X. It won't fit (as you've discovered).

A long time ago, Nikon would convert these lenses to AI for a fee, but that service is long over. They produced specific kits for each lens which was basically a new aperture ring. There are a few people out there who still have a few of the kits and can do the conversions. Alternatively, there is a DIY way to convert them, by basically hacking off a certain amount of the aperture ring. Or there are other people who'll do it for you (for about £30 I think) eg:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AI-modificati...58603875?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item27aa2a0063

Might be easier just to stick it on Ebay and buy a newer AI version instead though (which is what I did when I had the same problem).

Aye - this is what I'm thinking of doing. Cost very little on Rocky so should be able to get my money back. Seems like an awful lot of faff otherwise.

Aye - this is what I'm thinking of doing. Cost very little on Rocky so should be able to get my money back. Seems like an awful lot of faff otherwise.

I actually sold an AI 135mm f3.5 a few months ago on ebay and they're not a particularly expensive lens (but excellent quality, as are the earlier models like yours - sharp as a witch's tit).

I actually sold an AI 135mm f3.5 a few months ago on ebay and they're not a particularly expensive lens (but excellent quality, as are the earlier models like yours - sharp as a witch's tit).

Aye, it seems nice like. I actually have an AI 135mm 2.8 that I think cost about £15 - it's battered to bits but is a superb portrait lens.

Not really sure why I bought this latest one tbh :-D

If the lens was only cheap have a go at modifying it yourself, I am sure the instructions are online somewhere and if he is only charging 36 quid it cannot be too much of a job.

Aye, it seems nice like. I actually have an AI 135mm 2.8 that I think cost about £15 - it's battered to bits but is a superb portrait lens.

Not really sure why I bought this latest one tbh :-D

I have that feeling from time to time myself! Problem is this stuff was once pretty exotic expensive kit which now sells for about a tenth of what it cost new, so it's just too tempting IMO.

I sold my 135mm f3.5 when I was feeling sensible one day because I decided I couldn't justify having both that and the 105mm f2.5 which gets more use. But the general trend is one of acquisition rather than divestment.....

However, I am not a collector for collecting's sake, and will only keep stuff that I will make use of at least occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back