Nigel Pearson and Kevin Phillips.

I don't get the obsession with Phillips like

Its a long time since he was here, and it has zero relevance to us right now

Is this he "understands the fans" shit that the mags come up with

Appoint the best person for the job man, not just because someone played for us 20 years ago. If he is, then fine, but only because of thst

Last edited:

Why not draw comparisons to Lee Bowyer or Joey Barton both who are doing respectively well at their clubs
Because fleetwood and charlton are small clubs giving jobs to violent toe rags like bowyer and Barton.

I’d rather not compare us to them thanks

Doubt what? The place would be rocking? He's been in the box twice last season behind where I'm stood in the SWC and got the place going

Was stood talking to my 12 year old lad form the box and got his photo with taking with him... the boy was buzzing.

Also, can't remember what game it was last year (FA Cup / or might have been Bristol Rovers in the EFL trophy) he was doing the commentary on Sky and the away end sang his name for all the 2nd half.

He's held in the highest regard by the supporters and rightly so what he achieved playing for us.

Of course he is, one of our best ever players.

not sure how relevant that is to being our manager though

Because fleetwood and charlton are small clubs giving jobs to violent toe rags like bowyer and Barton.

I’d rather not compare us to them thanks

I wouldn't class Charlton as a "small club" personally but each ti their own.

So who would you go for given the choice?

Has Julio coached in the PL? Weird bringing Shearer and the mags in to the discussion.

Why not draw comparisons to Lee Bowyer or Joey Barton both who are doing respectively well at their clubs at this level?

No guarantee Phillips would do the job, but I'm of the opinion give him the chance as he can't do any worse the than Ross or Parkinson

Giving the supporters a lift would go along way to getting some much needed momentum. You seem pretty angry at the thought of giving someone like Phillips a shot.

Who out of interest would be your choice?

Think he's a mag going off posting history tbh.

Doubt what? The place would be rocking? He's been in the box twice last season behind where I'm stood in the SWC and got the place going

Was stood talking to my 12 year old lad form the box and got his photo with taking with him... the boy was buzzing.

Also, can't remember what game it was last year (FA Cup / or might have been Bristol Rovers in the EFL trophy) he was doing the commentary on Sky and the away end sang his name for all the 2nd half.

He's held in the highest regard by the supporters and rightly so what he achieved playing for us.

Don't get me wrong, loved the bloke as a player and I'll always stick up for his achievements as an SAFC player, but his coaching record isn't the best. I'd hate for him to come here and fail and tarnish what he'd done previously.

I also don't think he'd get the place rocking as a coach. Keane did as a manager because of who he was. Phillips, as a coach, wouldn't.

I wouldn't class Charlton as a "small club" personally but each ti their own.

So who would you go for given the choice?

your comparison of those 2 clubs is relevant, and there is absolutely a case for that type of appointment and logic, but have to be sure its the right man, I really think apart from an initial burst, having played for the club very successfully will have little help long term.

But I think your point there is separate really,

I don't get the obsession with Phillips like

Its a long time since he was here, and it has zero relevance to us right now

Is this he "understands the fans" shit that the mags come up with

Appoint the best person for the job man, not just because someone played for us 20 years ago. If he is, then fine, but only because of thst

Agree. Like I said, his coaching record isn't the best.

I’ve got a problem with it. The owners read these pages, and think that our ambition is to get a no mark in as manager. No wonder they don’t care.

As bad as Newcastle got, the demanded more and had Rafa in as boss in the championship. They weren’t there begging for Alan Shearer. Phillips is no more qualified for the job than Julio Arca

It’s weird

this thread is about pearson being the next manager and not phillips. phillips would be a coach and has previously worked under pearson

oh and the mags got shearer as manager and he helped relegate them. they were then kicking off when ashley wouldn't speak to him about being made permanent manager

Of course he is, one of our best ever players.

not sure how relevant that is to being our manager though

Exactly, ticks a few of boxes for me.

* Played & coached t the highest level.
* Knows the expectation and demands of playing for Sunlun.
* Would give the place a much needed lift.

Bringing him in to work with Pearson (although I don't think he'd drop down to this level) could well work.

Agree. Like I said, his coaching record isn't the best.

Parky is so unpopular, that I can understand the clamour to go the complete opposite and get someone everyone likes as a bloke n player, but no evidence he will be good

I am not against an outside the box appointment mind, I dont think a lower league journeyman manager with a few historic promotions would be the way to go, personally

His opnion isn't controversial mate, there is really no real reason he should be in the running to be his manager

dont call people mags for sake of it like

Thats all well and good but he seems to have a deep longstanding hatred of Phillips and not just about his coaching ability.

He was also slagging people off who wanted Warnock and is now naming him himself.

Exactly, ticks a few of boxes for me.

* Played & coached t the highest level.
* Knows the expectation and demands of playing for Sunlun.
* Would give the place a much needed lift.

Bringing him in to work with Pearson (although I don't think he'd drop down to this level) could well work.

I wouldn't be against it as much if he was just a coach like I guess, but giving the fans a lift thing is so short term,

we need a long term plan really more than anything

Thats all well and good but he seems to have a deep longstanding hatred of Phillips and not just about his coaching ability.

He was also slagging people off who wanted Warnock and is now naming him himself.

I don't know anything about him mate, not that bothered really

just saying on this specific point its a fair view, and SKP was my idol growing up

I wouldn't be against it as much if he was just a coach like I guess, but giving the fans a lift thing is so short term,

we need a long term plan really more than anything

Totally agree, although I'm stuck on who that right man is?!

I'm not adverse to Gus coming back to at least implement a style to get us back up the leagues.

My biggest fear if we go for experience at this level would be another Grayson / Parkinson type appointment... can't stomach that again!

Last edited:

Back