Nick Barnes reckon we have no scouts

A lot of scouts work independently and are paid by a number of clubs to watch a player and compile a detailed report, but are not on the payroll as such.

We've been using freelance scouts who take a commission based on if we sign their recommendations, not exactly "no scouts" and you can see why it's been cut as we were skint.

On the other hand it's easy to see why it was hard if we just used subcontractors instead of having some regular staff.

Sounds like a great way to get an independent view. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

A few talking like it was general knowledge that we didn't have scouts at the club. Got to say I wasnt aware that was the case.

I have issues with it. We needed to almost buy a full team last year. We for the last two seasons have been a club getting 30,000 in league 1 with parachute payments.

I accept we had to cut back. But surely it's the one place you dont cut back to the point you have no scouts on the books when promotion is so vital. Maybe if we had a couple of scouts we wouldn't have needed to waste over 3 million quid on will grigg?

I get his cost cutting but there very much doesn't feel like we have a plan or structure in place on the playing side. And that's not getting onto the issues that are appear present at the academy.

My point is Barnes tweet has told us absolutely nothing and scouting has already been discussed and..... acknowledged by Donald that it needed to improve, hence investing £500k back into it.

People are still trying to find everything they can to moan about at every opportunity like imo.

And this is pretty much what Donald said he was advised would be sufficient for this level. He may have been badly advised..... and has now sought to invest and improve the situation.
In the same interview Donald said we are the most professional club in the history of League One. So we can gather that he talks bollocks. He's been talking about putting money into the scouting, recruitment and the academy. We still haven't seen it! Donald has talked a good game but so far he hasn't delivered. IMO the man is a spoofer and a mouth piece. If I didn't know any better I'd say he is having a mid-life crisis.

We need to see more action from the owners because so far all we are getting is noise.
We made do with Donald as a scout.
I get the the feeling that Donald is one of these people who thinks he knows best. I just get that vibe from him when he talks.

Last edited:
In the same interview Donald said we are the most professional club in the history of League One. So we can gather that he talks bollocks. He's been talking about putting money into the scouting, recruitment and the academy. We still haven't seen it! Donald has talked a good game but so far he hasn't delivered. IMO the man is a spoofer and a mouth piece. If I didn't know any better I'd say he is having a mid-life crisis.

We need to see more action from the owners because so far all we are getting is noise.

I get the the feeling that Donald is one of these people who thinks he knows best. I just get that vibe from him when he talks.
It depends what you mean by professionalism. In this instance I believe he was referring to the training facilities, travel, etc. which are by far the most 'professional' standard in League One.

Is the club run perfectly from top to bottom no, probably not, but it's a work in progress surely after the previous shambles? Have the owners done everything perfectly from day one, no, ..... but they had an incredible mess to sort out. Some people seem to think it's easy to strip a club back and get it running smoothly at the first attempt.

And didn't he only promise this latest £500k a couple of months ago, what do you expect to have seen from that already?
A few talking like it was general knowledge that we didn't have scouts at the club. Got to say I wasnt aware that was the case.

I have issues with it. We needed to almost buy a full team last year. We for the last two seasons have been a club getting 30,000 in league 1 with parachute payments.

I accept we had to cut back. But surely it's the one place you dont cut back to the point you have no scouts on the books when promotion is so vital. Maybe if we had a couple of scouts we wouldn't have needed to waste over 3 million quid on will grigg?

I get his cost cutting but there very much doesn't feel like we have a plan or structure in place on the playing side. And that's not getting onto the issues that are appear present at the academy.
Donald said it himself mate in at least one podcast that we were using freelance scouts as is standard practice down here and that that along with our Head of Recruitment should be sufficient for this division. Now Tony Coton as head of recruitment definitely raises massive question marks because our recruitment has been largely poor..... and so far it seems Donald has been badly advised. Hopefully he learns from it and puts a better structure in place.

Last edited:
It depends what you mean by professionalism. In this instance I believe he was referring to the training facilities, travel, etc. which are by far the most 'professional' standard in League One.

Is the club run perfectly from top to bottom no, probably not, but it's a work in progress surely after the previous shambles? Have the owners done everything perfectly from day one, no, ..... but they had an incredible mess to sort out. Some people seem to think it's easy to strip a club back and get it running smoothly at the first attempt.

And didn't he only promise this latest £500k a couple of months ago, what do you expect to have seen from that already?

Donald said it himself mate in at least one podcast that we were using freelance scouts as is standard practice down here and that that along with our Head of Recruitment should be sufficient for this division. Now Tony Coton as head of recruitment definitely raises massive question marks because our recruitment has been largely poor..... and so far it seems Donald has been badly advised. Hopefully he learns from it and puts a better structure in place.

Badly advised by who? Richard Hill? Tony Coton? A couple of months ago he was hailing them as the dynamic duo with all their experience and contacts. His best Methven? Satori? I thought Donald was this intelligent football man?

Bald
Badly advised by who? Richard Hill? Tony Coton? A couple of months ago he was hailing them as the dynamic duo with all their experience and contacts. His best Methven? Satori? I thought Donald was this intelligent football man?
Surely you only appoint people you think are good and get advice from them.... but the proof only ever comes when you see the results of that advice - so yes, it seems he has been let down by what he thought was his 'dymanic duo'. He has said all along that he was leaving the football decisions to the recruitment team and Ross, believing them to be good appointments. I guess you've never got advice from someone that turned out to be bad advice in hindsight or made a bad choice/appointment/etc?

Surely you only appoint people you think are good and get advice from them.... but the proof only ever comes when you see the results of that advice - so yes, it seems he has been let down by what he thought was his 'dymanic duo'. He has said all along that he was leaving the football decisions to the recruitment team and Ross, believing them to be good appointments. I guess you've never got advice from someone that turned out to be bad advice in hindsight or made a bad choice/appointment/etc?
I did plenty of times and I got shot of them. He must trust Richard Hill because he keeps giving him various jobs. If they let him down then they should be sacked too. I get the feeling SD likes to have Yes men around him.

I did plenty of times and I got shot of them. He must trust Richard Hill because he keeps giving him various jobs. If they let him down then they should be sacked too. I get the feeling SD likes to have Yes men around him.
I get the opposite impression. He prefers to delegate and trust the people around him. I just think he's been a bit too naive and trusting and needs to learn from it quick.

Do you think having no scouts is acceptable like, if true?

And you think Ross wasn’t good enough. Tell you he had a battle against the odds the way the squad was under mined against his will.
Poor quality recruitment and selling your best players ... way to go!

Ross’s integrity has done him no favours here, he should have been shouting this from the roof tops.
We continue to be the impossible job

Last edited:

Back