Nice walk nearest Sunderland

toxic tracksuit

Central Defender
Want to make the most of a nice Autumnal day tomorrow and go for a walk with the boy and the dog. Any suggestions around the sunderland area / 10 mile radius? Prefer to give the coast a miss and prefer a circular walk.

You can download leaflets on there and they point of places of interest to have a look at on the way.

If you want to go a bit further away, Gibside has lovely walks plus a play area and stuff for the bairn. Northumberlandia near Cramlington is canny too. I've had my photo taken standing on her nipple :lol:

Round penshaw , behind the monument along the riverside
Did that before but thought it was a bit risky (maybe river was particularly high?)
Penshaw woods is nice enough though

You can download leaflets on there and they point of places of interest to have a look at on the way.

If you want to go a bit further away, Gibside has lovely walks plus a play area and stuff for the bairn. Northumberlandia near Cramlington is canny too. I've had my photo taken standing on her nipple :lol:
Aye, done that one before. Boob hill was a highlight for me too :lol:
Did that before but thought it was a bit risky (maybe river was particularly high?)
Penshaw woods is nice enough though

Aye, done that one before. Boob hill was a highlight for me too :lol:

Ive just had a look at the Ashbrooke walk and it goes down my street!!

Last edited:
Want to make the most of a nice Autumnal day tomorrow and go for a walk with the boy and the dog. Any suggestions around the sunderland area / 10 mile radius? Prefer to give the coast a miss and prefer a circular walk.
Start at Fatfield and walk along to Cox green. Or start at Washington wild fowl and walk in same direction, just other side of river.

Recommended start point?
Noses point. Down onto the blast beach, pass the cats eyes to the pillbox, and up frenchies walk. Over the stop look listen crossing then head south to the path. Head west till you reach hawthorn village and the pub, beer or two. Go back the north path through the woods, or the old quarry, then back to noses along the cliff path.

Depends upon the age of your lad but Geocaching is great when they’re under 10.

Dinnar if you can still get free stuff whe you download the app.

Can walk along past behind latimers behind Souter lighthouse and pirates cove all the way to shields it’s class

Can walk along past behind latimers behind Souter lighthouse and pirates cove all the way to shields it’s class
Which one is “pirates cove”?

I knar Jackies Beach, Marsden Beach and Frenchman’s Bay but another name along the route would be good.

Which one is “pirates cove”?

I knar Jackies Beach, Marsden Beach and Frenchman’s Bay but another name along the route would be good.
It’s not circular but you could get the E1 from Shields fair back to Latimers. Mileage covered if you followed the cliff top path would be about 8 miles.

After the weather this week, all of the walks inland are mud pits. I know from trying to find somewhere that the dog doesn’t come back looking like the creature from the black lagoon.

Back