NHS provokes fury with indefinite surgery ban for smokers and obese

Thats right we do. But your argument is "ah well i have paid my NI therefore why should i worry about trying to be healthy, the NHS will sort it instead"

Personal responsibility to be healthy but there a societal trait amongst a lot of people that the consequences are always someone else problem.

We all pay but there should be the expectation you try your best to be healthy and not expect everyone else to pick up the pieces due to lack of personal responsibility
Agreed. We should ban all contact sports and any hobbies of a physical nature. Only fair.

f***ing semantics. One bloody misplaced word, and people get uppity.

How many people do you personally know that buy their fags from elsewhere?

I bet, in. My. Opinion, that the majority don't go to the shops and buy them. *

Disclaimer * this is my opinion, please don't be offended and treat it as a fact.

I've had this argument a lot of times, and this is the kind of stuff they come back with.
We all pay tax and ni ffs

I don't know anybody who buys fags from anywhere. And calm down man will ya. You fucked up and people pulled you up on it. Those are the rules on here.
Anyone who makes a mistake and gets away with it,is very lucky indeedy.

Granted the tax they pay on cigs somewhat goes towards the NHS, but nowhere near enough.
I think it costs something like over £750 for a bed per day in hospital.

You'd end up smoking yourself to death (ironically) before you'd paid enough in to get treatment, shirley?

Cost of smoking to the NHS is massively under tax receipts from tabs, always has been.

They make billions from smokers, it's not smokers fault that the government don't give all the tax to the NHS.

Ive heard from good sources that all the NHS would fall flat on its face if it were not for the many 1000s of volunteers. It needs taking apart and rebuilding and only prescribing medication proven to work or have benefit to the patient on a cost effective basis.

Cost of smoking to the NHS is massively under tax receipts from tabs, always has been.

They make billions from smokers, it's not smokers fault that the government don't give all the tax to the NHS.
Spot on.

In 2015 tax revenues from tobacco were c. £12 billion. Cost to NHS of smoking was c.£5-6billion.

Ive heard from good sources that all the NHS would fall flat on its face if it were not for the many 1000s of volunteers. It needs taking apart and rebuilding and only prescribing medication proven to work or have benefit to the patient on a cost effective basis.

The NHS would fall flat on its face without the goodwill of staff more so than volunteers.

There is already a process of cost effective prescribing. It goes through layers of beurocracy before coming to market. Clinical trials - Licensing with EMA/MHRA - NICE - local decision making in the form of Drug and therapeutics committees/RMOCs

Imagine how much money they'd save by just not bothering with fat, unhealthy, probably unemployed slobs (probably a third of the patients)
Or alcoholics
Or sun burn
Or drunk drivers
Or old people who will not leave hospital.
Or convicts
Foreigners
Coloured
Disabled
Mentally ill.
Accidents cos they could be avoided

Any post about NHS always comes to this.
Stop being ignorant, you must be perfect.

I feel overwhelmingly saddened that the NHS is struggling with funding and essentially has to ration its services, yet I think the argument that people have to take their own responsibility for these sorts of things is very well grounded. For smokers today, the risks are very well known, very well proven and very well clear.

I'm not allowed the operation that would fix a problem I have. I'm not a smoker, a drinker or obese. They'll only do the op if I had cancer (which I haven't and I'm thankful about!) Several treatments I've already had have failed so now I've been told I just have to put up with it or go private which I can't afford (approx £8-10K).

This is SMB! £8k - £10k I'm sure together we can do!!!

Who's gonna start the fund off? I'll put a tenner in. Who's with me?

Back