NHS provokes fury with indefinite surgery ban for smokers and obese

Yes, it's not like there's an offer on the back of Lambert and Butler that says "Smoke 20 a day for 10 years and receive a free lung draining - Just cut out this coupon"
That's not a bad idea actually. Smoke menthol and get a free throat scraping every 5 years too

Yes, it's not like there's an offer on the back of Lambert and Butler that says "Smoke 20 a day for 10 years and receive a free lung draining - Just cut out this coupon"
They pay ni contributions, like we all do, and they pay a lot of tax on them.
So they think that is a justification to not be turned down for any treatment.

NI contributions does not mean give you carte blanche to expect lifelong healthcare due to poor lifestyle because you "have paid in".

By that token does someone who has paid in and not required the NHS get a rebate?

He didn't say that steve, you've just made that up.
f***ing semantics. One bloody misplaced word, and people get uppity.

How many people do you personally know that buy their fags from elsewhere?

I bet, in. My. Opinion, that the majority don't go to the shops and buy them. *

Disclaimer * this is my opinion, please don't be offended and treat it as a fact.

NI contributions does not mean give you carte blanche to expect lifelong healthcare due to poor lifestyle because you "have paid in".

By that token does someone who has paid in and not required the NHS get a rebate?
I've had this argument a lot of times, and this is the kind of stuff they come back with.
We all pay tax and ni ffs

Everything is in that article. Basically you just want my opinion
Seems reasonable.

If you're creating a thread you should offer a view and kick the discussion off, even if it's just a sentence.

If all we have is a link to an article this place might as well be an RSS feed delivering articles nobody wanted.

Your certainly far from being the only person to do this, sorry if you feel like you're being singled out.

Selecting only certain patients for treatment has been going on for a long time. I was refused a test or x-ray, can't recall what for, because i wasn't in a high risk group. Fair enough. Limited funds and all that.

Granted the tax they pay on cigs somewhat goes towards the NHS, but nowhere near enough.
I think it costs something like over £750 for a bed per day in hospital.

You'd end up smoking yourself to death (ironically) before you'd paid enough in to get treatment, shirley?

I've had this argument a lot of times, and this is the kind of stuff they come back with.
We all pay tax and ni ffs
Thats right we do. But your argument is "ah well i have paid my NI therefore why should i worry about trying to be healthy, the NHS will sort it instead"

Personal responsibility to be healthy but there a societal trait amongst a lot of people that the consequences are always someone else problem.

Should do the same for anybody who partakes in any activitiy which runs the risk of damaging your health then. No exercise, no driving.......
We all pay but there should be the expectation you try your best to be healthy and not expect everyone else to pick up the pieces due to lack of personal responsibility.

And yes the lack of treatment should extend to any form if you had a choice not to do it if this is the route people want so sport, driving etc

Last edited:

Back