NHS provokes fury with indefinite surgery ban for smokers and obese

So it's a load of shite then.

No.

For the nebby ones.

Eighteen years ago I required a minor procedure which could be done as an outpatient and which would require about one hour of theatre time. My GP refused to refer me quoting that I was overweight. He offered no advice for remedying that situation. No advice as to how much weight he would want me to lose before referrring. Nothing.

As time went on I became increasingly incapacitated by the problem, which resulted in my becoming unfit for work about eighteen months ago. I’m currently in the support group for esa, and get the highest rate for care and mobility of pip.

Eighteen months ago my GP agreed to refer me to a surgeon as the problem had become so severe, but shortly before having surgery, which would now be major surgery and include a two night stay in hospital, rather than a day patient going home an hour after surgery, my mother was diagnosed as terminally ill. My surgery was due to take place but I cancelled it as I would be incapacitated for six weeks following the surgery and I wanted to be available to help Mam and Dad. Mam died the day after my surgery was scheduled.

A couple of months later, my surgery was rearranged. Shortly before it was due to take place I was diagnosed with AF. Of course, my surgery was cancelled. I had cardioversion a few months later with a good result.

Last week I saw the gastro consultant again, we both agreed that I’m currently not fit enough for surgery, but he will review me again in three months.

I’m taking 11 different tablets each morning, and five different tablets each evening, all at a cost to the NHS. My surgery, when it takes place will now cost substantially more than it would have cost eighteen years ago, and is far more serious than it would have been.

I understand the theory that it is more difficult, in some cases, to operate on overweight and obese people, but I feel that having a cut off of 30-35 bmi is way too strict and will result in more cases like my own. I’ve cost this country far more by having surgery refused than I would have done if I had had surgery eighteen years ago.

No.

For the nebby ones.

Eighteen years ago I required a minor procedure which could be done as an outpatient and which would require about one hour of theatre time. My GP refused to refer me quoting that I was overweight. He offered no advice for remedying that situation. No advice as to how much weight he would want me to lose before referrring. Nothing.

As time went on I became increasingly incapacitated by the problem, which resulted in my becoming unfit for work about eighteen months ago. I’m currently in the support group for esa, and get the highest rate for care and mobility of pip.

Eighteen months ago my GP agreed to refer me to a surgeon as the problem had become so severe, but shortly before having surgery, which would now be major surgery and include a two night stay in hospital, rather than a day patient going home an hour after surgery, my mother was diagnosed as terminally ill. My surgery was due to take place but I cancelled it as I would be incapacitated for six weeks following the surgery and I wanted to be available to help Mam and Dad. Mam died the day after my surgery was scheduled.

A couple of months later, my surgery was rearranged. Shortly before it was due to take place I was diagnosed with AF. Of course, my surgery was cancelled. I had cardioversion a few months later with a good result.

Last week I saw the gastro consultant again, we both agreed that I’m currently not fit enough for surgery, but he will review me again in three months.

I’m taking 11 different tablets each morning, and five different tablets each evening, all at a cost to the NHS. My surgery, when it takes place will now cost substantially more than it would have cost eighteen years ago, and is far more serious than it would have been.

I understand the theory that it is more difficult, in some cases, to operate on overweight and obese people, but I feel that having a cut off of 30-35 bmi is way too strict and will result in more cases like my own. I’ve cost this country far more by having surgery refused than I would have done if I had had surgery eighteen years ago.

Good luck and I hope it all goes well.

Have we agreed that the NHS are right - at least on smoking - and that people should stop before their op?

They do have an elevated risk of dying and acquiring a healthcare-related infection if they’re a smoker mind.

In their best interests.

Have we agreed that the NHS are right - at least on smoking - and that people should stop before their op?

They do have an elevated risk of dying and acquiring a healthcare-related infection if they’re a smoker mind.

In their best interests.
i would agree if a doc said the illness was smoking related

In their best interests.

Smoking also affects healing. I have no problem in asking smokers to stop for a short period prior to and after surgery, provided that support, such as patches, is given to help them over that period.

I'd agree on that score. I was more referring to statistics. "Smoking-related" seems to be anything that *could* be caused by smoking if the patient was a smoker. It's a bit ambiguous.

It's far too ambiguous .
And to be honest - likewise for obesity. What about surgery to repair broken limbs or similar such things in which smoking, obesity etc...has no real bearing ?

And what about potentially life extending/ saving surgery where the risk of not doing it far outweighs the risk of doing it ? We really wanting to playing god ?

The policy is really just a cynical way of getting the public onboard for a shift towards private medical insurance. Everyone hates smokers and fatties after all.

I meant the "every cigarette smoked will earn the tax payer a shit load more than it costs them." part

They basically just listed how much smokers cost, pulling some figures from thin air by the looks of it.

Did they mention how much smokers, who die in their 60's after short smoking related illness would actually save the taxpayer?

They're not there to clog up hospitals like ancient none smokers do with their water infections, alzheimers or broken hips. Or how much they would save by not being on a pile of prescription tablets for 20 odd years or how much pension they won't collect?

Nah did they shite. Growing old as fuck will cost the taxpayers a shit load more...

I saw it with 3 of our lasses grandparents. They never smoked yet were a f***ing massive burden to the NHS for the last 10 years of their lives after strokes and parkinsons etc. The one I didn't meet died of a tab related disease before I met her...

It's far too ambiguous .
And to be honest - likewise for obesity. What about surgery to repair broken limbs or similar such things in which smoking, obesity etc...has no real bearing ?

And what about potentially life extending/ saving surgery where the risk of not doing it far outweighs the risk of doing it ? We really wanting to playing god ?

The policy is really just a cynical way of getting the public onboard for a shift towards private medical insurance. Everyone hates smokers and fatties after all.
Bang on.

i would agree if a doc said the illness was smoking related

This is where people are getting caught up IMO

It isn’t that the condition that necessiatates a procedure is smoking related it is that being a smoker affects your ability to get better after surgery

As @Sir Lancelot says - smokers’ wounds heal slower. They’re more vulnerable to healthcare acquired infections because of this.

Smokers also have greater likelihood of anaesthesia complications, their bones heal slower, their respiratory system is poorer etc

This is where people are getting caught up IMO

It isn’t that the condition that necessiatates a procedure is smoking related it is that being a smoker affects your ability to get better after surgery

As @Sir Lancelot says - smokers’ wounds heal slower. They’re more vulnerable to healthcare acquired infections because of this.

Smokers also have greater likelihood of anaesthesia complications, their bones heal slower, their respiratory system is poorer etc
But they can celebrate the success of their surgery with a Hamlet though. Every cloud and that

A lot of people on here will be obese without even realising it, i did a bmi test on a machine it said i am obese and i'm quite thin. One of my mates also got obese and he is a regular gym goer and is not fat at all.

A lot of people on here will be obese without even realising it, i did a bmi test on a machine it said i am obese and i'm quite thin. One of my mates also got obese and he is a regular gym goer and is not fat at all.

As is often stated and often replied on here

The vast majority of the population aren’t muscled gym goers

Most are flabby couch potatoes for whom BMI is an entirely suitable measure

If you’re in shape ignore your BMI

If not, pay attention to it

Back