NHS Payrise

You’ve not walked me through anything tbf, you’ve got a massive chip on your shoulder.

Nearly every DB pension scheme applies reduction factors for early retirement and anyone who has worked in the NHS all their career won’t be retiring at normal retirement age, few people do in DB schemes. They typically retire much earlier than DC schemes.
Dc schemes can retire at 55
I reckon with DB schemes the avg will be 58-60 ? Only lucky few get to go at 50 say , normally when company’s want shot of staff and offer deals to leave now on full pension
Mind you police and fire seem to retire early 50s

Dc schemes can retire at 55
I reckon with DB schemes the avg will be 58-60 ? Only lucky few get to go at 50 say , normally when company’s want shot of staff and offer deals to leave now on full pension
Mind you police and fire seem to retire early 50s

I agree in the main, late 50’s will be the norm, the NRA is not when most will go.

Nobody goes at 50 from a DC scheme unless you want to get a massive tax charge. You can at 55 but the principle is the same. If you buy an annuity it will be massively lower, if you use drawdown it has to last a lot longer.

For anyone who wants to see the actual %, the attached link will confirm them.

I agree there will have to always be cut offs, but the 9.3% to 12.5% seems to be the biggest.

Someone earlier said my wife must be a band 8a and on over £50k. This is not true.
She is a band 6, but their weekend and nights are used included in the calculation not thier basic.
Also she is part time, so on nowhere near £50k, but the full time salary is used.

To be the fairest way would be to have a % per band.

I think the original idea was, it was a bit over the 40% tax threshold. And with pensions being tax deductible meant that some of that higher contribution was clawed back so the hit wasn't as big.

Problem is now that the higher tax rate has now overtaken the higher pension contribution rate & no longer makes sense.

It's shit that they use the full time equivalent salary to determine the contribution rate anarl. There's other public sector schemes where the actual income is used

The 3%. Nice little surprise for the paramedics seeing that it pushes them into the next pension band and thus means they've taken a slight pay cut. Along with having the payment arrears of 600 and odd quid taken off their pay this month without being informed. God bless our government. 😏

Apologies if Seb.
Just seen this thread. Been out all day with the family trying to enjoy the 1 day off I get in between 3 12 hour weekend dayshifts and 3 12 hour midweek nightshifts.

As a paramedic at the top of band 6 I was deducted £650 from my take home pay in pension arrears today. I did receive back dated pay last month to cover the 3% rise but as previously started this was less than the pension arrears that have been taken.

The main issue here is that there was very little communication that this would be taken this month and as some of my colleagues are married or live with each other, some families are £1300 down this month and will struggle to pay their bills. Fortunately I have a small amount of savings so I am able to take the hit this month.

Moving forward from now on my take home pay will be less than it was prior to the 3% rise. I am not convinced that my final pension will be increased either as a result.

This has also effected some of my colleagues at the top of band 3 who have also unknowingly moved into the next pension band.

Just seen this thread. Been out all day with the family trying to enjoy the 1 day off I get in between 3 12 hour weekend dayshifts and 3 12 hour midweek nightshifts.

As a paramedic at the top of band 6 I was deducted £650 from my take home pay in pension arrears today. I did receive back dated pay last month to cover the 3% rise but as previously started this was less than the pension arrears that have been taken.

The main issue here is that there was very little communication that this would be taken this month and as some of my colleagues are married or live with each other, some families are £1300 down this month and will struggle to pay their bills. Fortunately I have a small amount of savings so I am able to take the hit this month.

Moving forward from now on my take home pay will be less than it was prior to the 3% rise. I am not convinced that my final pension will be increased either as a result.

This has also effected some of my colleagues at the top of band 3 who have also unknowingly moved into the next pension band.
Your pension will not increase to any noticeable degree. Literally next to nowt. But you shouldn't be bothered by this as other people have different pensions.

Your pension will not increase to any noticeable degree. Literally next to nowt. But you shouldn't be bothered by this as other people have different pensions.
Be interesting to see how much lower my take home pay goes down once the increased national insurance contributions kick in. It’s a good job I hoyed a load of last years claps under the mattress for a rainy day.

It's not loads tbf. Just all the fully qualified Paramedics. There will be others mind but I haven't looked any further into it.

Mind it's laughable how little we've heard from the union since they balloted whether to accept it or not.
I cant recall getting a ballot paper, there again im in UNITE so theres a suprise.

As I’ve already said I am not in favour of the NHS pay rise as i felt the rest of the public sector should get one too

No this pension contribution issue is impacting staff at all pay scales within the NHS and it will be felt more acutely on those lower paid staff

wait they deducted £600 from your pay??
A race to the bottom then ?

Must admit I dont check my e mails that often , could they not send ballot paper via the post , there happy to send junk mail to me regarding insurance and making a will offers.
I’d guess the next ballot will be? They did also text apparently, but as far as I know my wife only got an email.

This is an electronic consultative and indicative industrial action ballot. Please check your inbox and phone for a text from us – In Wales, the ballot opens on 16 August and closes on 23 September, while in England the ballot opens on 27 August and closes on 3 October.

I’d guess the next ballot will be? They did also text apparently, but as far as I know my wife only got an email.

This is an electronic consultative and indicative industrial action ballot. Please check your inbox and phone for a text from us – In Wales, the ballot opens on 16 August and closes on 23 September, while in England the ballot opens on 27 August and closes on 3 October.
Class cut off point for the ballot. A few days after the pay rise has gone thro and been received. I mean what a waste of time. 🤦

Back