NHS health check up

I'm 74 and never been offered one...then again I don't get ill so why would they.

That’s not true, unless you’re not registered with a GP.

You may have ignored the letters, but you will have been offered one.
I'd ignore a letter if I got one.

No evidence it does more good than harm.

Universal provision probably isn’t effective but I think GP practices in deprived areas or with high prevalence of hypertension etc should definitely offer them

Whether said patients will attend however...

Last edited:

over 40 year olds are able to get an ‘ nhs health check up’ every 5 years I think.
Anyone had one ? Good ?
yes got one years ago discovered I had issues with my Thyroid that wasn't showing any symptoms.
had to get a radioactive pill to sort it out.
if I hadn't had the check I might of had problems down the line.

That’s not true, unless you’re not registered with a GP.

You may have ignored the letters, but you will have been offered one.

Universal provision probably isn’t effective but I think GP practices in deprived areas or with high prevalence of hypertension etc should definitely offer them

Whether said patients will attend however...

Prevention is meant to be better than cure I guess.
Bupa seem to do a lot of this stuff

It’s mainly. Height. Weight. Blood pressure. Bloods and general questions about lifestyle.

not full on anal probe. But better to get it done than not. Blood pressure and the like is the silent killer.

Had one at 50, took my blood and blood pressure - hardly a comprehensive health checki
Guess you had the cheap version. Mine has a ECG test ,weight,height etc. Bloods,urine and questionaire of lifestyles Smoking,drinking etc.Sent for another exam in 60' to check main aorta for pressure.It is an Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening.This could save your life,especially if you ever worked in heavy industry.Check for bulging in main aorta.

Its so hard to actually see on in person imho
Had a look at this the other day because of work and in Feb 2020 pre pandemic of 22m combined total GP appointments in England, 19m were in person and 3m were telephone (plus some 'unknowns' and home visits on top of the 22m). In Feb 2021 the split was 16m in person and 11m by telephone.

I was got a letter telling me to book one just after my 40th birthday which I ignored, I'm 50 next year and haven't been offered one since. I hate going to the doctors and can't remember the last time I went so not complaining.

If the over 40s health check had been around when I was younger then I may not have had a heart attack at 47.
I’d never had my cholesterol level checked which seemed to be the only possible contributory factor.

Back