Next console generation TVs

Worth getting in touch with them mate. My mam and dad bought an iPad from John Lewis Newcastle on a friday and they released the new version on the Monday. I told my dad to get in touch with them and they offered him a swap for the newer one or a few quid back. Usually get top quality service in JL tbh.

Thanks for that, good shout.

Looks like John Lewis do a 28 day price match (including matching themselves). It's also down to £579 at Curry's so pretty confident I'll get a the difference back.
Any games playing 120 FPS at 4k on the ps5 won't be native 4k anyway I wouldn't worry.

The ps5 is roughly a 2080ti a 2080ti can't do 120fps 4k ultra in last gen games. Ps5 games doing 120fps will be checkerboard 4k so you'd be losing out graphically anyway

Yeah, the options on PS5 are performance mode or resolution mode. What this means varies from game to game, but generally speaking performance mode is going to be 120FPS@1080p, whereas resolution mode is going to be 60FPS@4k.

So games like COD are engaging in marketing speak when they say the run at 4k 120 FPS.

You can have 4k, or 120 FPS, but not both. As you say even gaming PCs with £2k graphics cards struggle to push 120 FPS at 4k, so a £500 console is never going to do it.

You'd still need a HDMI 2.1 setup for the 120 FPS option mind you.

Last edited:

Thanks for that, good shout.

Looks like John Lewis do a 28 day price match (including matching themselves). It's also down to £579 at Curry's so pretty confident I'll get a the difference back.

Yeah, the options on PS5 are performance mode or resolution mode. What this means varies from game to game, but generally speaking performance mode is going to be 120FPS@1080p, whereas resolution mode is going to be 60FPS@4k.

So games like COD are engaging in marketing speak when they say the run at 4k 120 FPS.

You can have 4k, or 120 FPS, but not both. As you say even gaming PCs with £2k graphics cards struggle to push 120 FPS at 4k, so a £500 console is never going to do it.

Even cheaper on Amazon xx

Aye that's the bit that's irritated me, it's either just settle for 60fps or buy a new tele, even though my tele is capable of 1080p 120fps and that's normally all the games will be capable of! Sounds like xbox will allow 1080p 120fps with hdmi 2.0 which is a fairly big thing in its favour tbh. PS5 still has the advantage of more games and the controller seems canny mind, but xbox has the games pass and I've got an xbox one so could use the backward compatability. Wonder if they'll update the ps5 so it can do it, seems daft not to if it's possible

Last edited:
playing the odd game at 120fps will be nice but it isn’t worth getting an expensive TV for it to be honest, developers can be lazy and no doubt when Ubisoft keep pumping out awful 30fps games other devs will catch on and aim for 4K instead of a good frame rate.

Don’t mess about with the cheaper rubbish, if you’re going for next generation consoles with the best graphics etc..get an LG OLED.

Stay away from QLED (sneaky Samsung move to trick people into thinking it’s their version of OLED...!).

I’ve ordered an LG OLED55GX6LA from Currys yesterday for Wednesday delivery - will replace a 5 year old 48” Samsung JU7000 which has served me well. Mainly wanted it for the Series X and buzzing given the various reviews I’ve watched/read and the fact Microsoft have came out and said LG OLED is the best tv available for the Xbox!

5 year warranty and screen burn is nothing to be concerned about. They have built in pixel refreshers and logo luminance reducers to deal with that.

Sold it to the missus with the slim “gallery” profile:

Logon or register to see this image

I’ve ordered an LG OLED55GX6LA from Currys yesterday for Wednesday delivery - will replace a 5 year old 48” Samsung JU7000 which has served me well. Mainly wanted it for the Series X and buzzing given the various reviews I’ve watched/read and the fact Microsoft have came out and said LG OLED is the best tv available for the Xbox!

5 year warranty and screen burn is nothing to be concerned about. They have built in pixel refreshers and logo luminance reducers to deal with that.

That looks class like. Unless covid related austerity changes my circumstances I'll have something similar within the year.

That looks class like. Unless covid related austerity changes my circumstances I'll have something similar within the year.
They’ve came down from their original £3k for the 55” to the £1600 I paid. If you can hold on just wait until April when the new range are released. Will plummet in price then!

I've gone for the QE55Q80T, purely based on a few reviews.

Cancelled this due to finding out all 2020 QLEDs suffer from weird stuttering that Samsung have acknowledged but haven't bothered to fix. They didn't mention that in any of the reviews :neutral:

Might just go for the LG CX even though it's a bit more than I want to spend on a TV, especially just for gaming.

Wise choice! Absolutely immense TV.

Cancelled this due to finding out all 2020 QLEDs suffer from weird stuttering that Samsung have acknowledged but haven't bothered to fix. They didn't mention that in any of the reviews :neutral:

Might just go for the LG CX even though it's a bit more than I want to spend on a TV, especially just for gaming.
What console you got?

Back